Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Nids
Closed Thread
Old 06 Apr 2005, 15:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectre17
Default Tau vs. Nids

I'm new to tau online, so this is kinda weird...anyway, I know a guy who has bought enough nids so that he can't field any more units on a regular plan, and he want to play. He's offered the option of no point cap, so I chose to play Tau, just to make it easier, however, I have little idea on what to buy. I have painted Eldar for profit and have played SMurfs for two years, so painting is not an issue. I also have two summers worth of pay to blow and a birthday coming up...I'm not trying to seem spoiled, but money is no object either...Any suggestions are welcome

BTW...I fully understand that the battle will be a blood bath...that's what makes 40k fun, and I hate Kroot, so don't suggest it
Old 06 Apr 2005, 15:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Tau vs. Nids

Spectre17: Welcome to T.O., be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction board!

Well, to save a little time, please have a look at this thread about starting Tau to take on the Tyranid.

The short version is, Firewarriors mounted in Devilfish (always mount troops against Tyranid) and Hammerheads with Railgun Submunitions. Maybe a few Crisis Suits to pick off his Synapses creatures (and deal with incoming deepstriking Hive Tyrants). List examples 3 and 4 would probably be the most expensive, but most effective against the bugs.

It all boils down to mobile armor and template weapons - That destroys bugs. Hammerheads will ultimately be your workhorse most likely since he probably bought so many gaunts that he can fill all his troops with them. I personally would not field any suits against this (except stealths) due to the very good possibility of assault. Instead, I'd just give him multiple Hammerheads and Devilfish as much as possible... Tyranid don't have much that will stop an armored force and your guns can bust anything that he has that has a weapon to destroy your tanks. If you play the game on foot, ie, no transports or mobile tanks, you're going to have a very difficult time.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 15:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

And, of course, Stealth Suits for the sheer amount of firepower they can gatling-gun out. If you're new, I'm RedMagnus and I excel at posting everywhere and mostly being irrelevant, insane and useless. I know every rule solid but have never won a single game. Worlin' on it tho.
Yeah. Take stealthsuits. RailHeads would be good too, cause the big gun can take out big 'uns and the submunitions can shred Gaunts like there's no tomorrow.
My 2 cents...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectre17

ok...thanks, how's this army look...not sure about equipment for each unit

HQ- Commander O'shovah
Elites- 3 squads of Steath suits with Shas
Troops- 6 Fire warrior boxes with in a Devilfish
Fast- 3 squads of Pathfinders with Shas in Devilfish
Heavy- 3 Hammerheads with Railguns
Old 06 Apr 2005, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

look in your codex, with commander o'sovah your army has many FoC chart restrictions. I dont want to say all of them here but one is that Hammerhead gunships become 0-1 in an army, as do many other units.

If you have the money i suggest collecting a full force organisation chart's worth of tau. Any more and you are going to find opponenets hard to come by! (well i dont know what your oppoenets are like!). For some advice build a 1000pt list, then play with it and expand how you like it. However buying up a huge army first without knowing how to paly with it is never a good diea, as at 1000pts every unit matters and you can really get to grips with tactics more.

Old 06 Apr 2005, 16:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

i wouldnt take pathfinders not really worth it. unlesss they just stting bak markerlighting things.. which would be expensive. are only good fast attack choices is gun drones.. they are annoying and have preety good shots/ap .
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 16:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Spectre17:

As 42 said, check out O'Shovah's rules. He limits you a lot, especially the units you're trying to take.

Now, just so you know, what you listed there is about 3,000+ points. And it will cost you -a lot- of cash (as in $770 almost). Take the advise of starting around 1,000 points if you want to make a big purchase. Play some games. Get an idea for the game.

And as for your army list, if you drop O'Shovah and take a normal Commander, I'd say go for it (even with 3 pathfinder teams - lighting the way for those stealthsuits... phew!). That's a lot of points, but hey, it will definately kill bugs. It will be decent against other armies as well should you be playing other people in the future.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 16:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

<Rant> THREE HAMMERHEADS!!??!! No! Bad! Unless you want to be called a cheesy powergamer for the rest of your godforsaken unnatural life, DO NOT TAKE THAT MANY HAMMERHEADS! Sheesh. </Rant>
Sorry. But, really... No. And the others are right about the O'shovah restrictions.
Pay attention to yer own stinkin' Codex or be sacrificed upon my flesh altar.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 16:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

just re-reading your post....you say no-points cap, that is very interesting! A while back we had a competition to see who could come up with the most amount of points usign a single force organsiation chart (i assume this is what he meant he was the limit) , well some chaos army by Farseer tyross got to about 66,000pts...now imagine that versus 3000odd of tyrnaids! I suggest an actual point limit would be more sensible! 3000pts as MalVeaux said being eventually a goal your looking for.

Old 06 Apr 2005, 17:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

42:

No point caps is there just for people to abuse really. Chaos can do that easily simply because of the insane amount of Armory they have access to. And a single unit of Chosen in a large game can cost as much, even more actually, than the entire Tau army can. Tau cannot do this of course. However, because of this, armies may take a second Force Organizational chart after 2,500 points. So Tau can match that 66k point mark, simply by taking 33 Force Charts. That's ultimately more powerful.

If there's no point cap Spectre17, I would advise you to simply make two armies of 2,500 points if you plan on going that far. Then you could have 6 hammerheads, etc and just be the most hated player in the club