Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluff-wise, are Chaos Tau possible?
Old 15 Jan 2008, 20:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fluff-wise, are Chaos Tau possible?

This was an odd thought I had in mind, regarding the ending of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. It says that when the Word Bearers defeated the Tau on Kronus that they created a religious inquisition while decrying the falsehood of the Greater Good, calling it propaganda lorded from above by the hierophantic Etherials. This made me wonder the possibility of Tau Chaos Cults or even armies of them. Is it possible from a fluff perspective, and would the scale of such an organization be capable of being used beyond the Inquisitor-level gaming? Tau themselves are not naturally Psychic but supposing a particularly potent Chaos Dark Apostle could "mimic" Etherial command abilities.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 20:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Fluff-wise, are Chaos Tau possible?

Would the chaos gods be happy not having complete control over the Tau?

I don't think they'd use a being they can't control the mind of.

Plus a Tau would notice if he/she was torturing someone.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, there is absolutely no fluff saying it isn't possible.

A small warp signature does not mean immunity, it's that simple.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well- if your using DOW as your frame of reference then no. During the Tau defeat of the Word Bearers it says that not a single Tau fell to their corrupting icons but that they had to go to 'therepy' after witnessing what was there.

makes sense.

I would say no Chaos Tau- the tau don't believe just in the Ethereals, they believe in their way of life too- so fluff wise no. But if you wanna do that it's cool.

I honestly think that the Word Bearers creating a dogma against the Greater Good would be directed at the Tau human servants- which it could, of course, work against. Word Bearers don't use magic to turn peoples minds- they use words and a new perspective (which is horrifieing enough in this dark dark universe).

And yes, a small warp signature does not mean immunity- but Daemons can't 'see you,' it just means that the Tau register like grass or a cow to warp minded creatures but they are still effected by warp lighting and what not (unlike Nulls)
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't think many people believe DoW to be Canon.

Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Calmsword there. The effort it takes to corrupt/possess even a single Tau would outweight the gains by a hundredfold.

In the novel Firewarrior, the Demon entity soon realises that there`s no way it could break an Ethereal - it would take hundreds of years, far longer than the Tau would live. Even the firewarrior it chose for possession (La`Kais) resisted successfully.
Tau are a focussed race, and where there is focus, Chaos has no chance - probably the same reason why faith works. Combine this focus with their small Warp presence, and it is easier for the demons to kill them all than to possess and/or turn them.

So much for demonic possession.

Now, if you ask "Is it possibly that there are Tau which are blinded by, say, Word Bearers, and do wrong things", then the answer is yes. Tau can be brainwashed just like any other race, especially if they have lost their Ethereal guidance. But they won`t be growing horns or spikes and be possessed by demons for the above reasons.
And, depending on which theory you think is true, a single Ethereal might be enough to get them back "on track".

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Tau haven't really gone up against the mightier daemons that are evident in Imperial fluff either though.

Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Demon in question was imprisoned (note: not killed - he was too powerful) by the Eldar 1000 years ago. He literally tore the soul of an Imperial psyker out - while he was still imprisoned. Also, he managed to easily posess a human while still in his prison without even thinking twice about it.
Besides, he had a host of Chaos undivided with him imprisoned, and he seemed to have the backing of all four Chaos Gods.

That sounds quite powerful to me.

Of course, BL-books always have to be taken with a grain of salt, but we have now two accounts of the Tau being resistant to the point of immune against possession. With none of the 100% canon-fluff suggesting otherwise, I`d assume that, until further notice, that we can take this as a fact.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i really just think the whole Chaos Tau thing has to be dropped.

The Ethereals aren't everywhere in Tau culture- there are worlds that improve on their own for years and years without contact to the rest of the Empire OR an ethereal and they function fine. there is no micromanageing ethereal super troop out there- the Empire is not the Imperium and Tau are not humans
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBonesaw
The Demon in question was imprisoned (note: not killed - he was too powerful) by the Eldar 1000 years ago. He literally tore the soul of an Imperial psyker out - while he was still imprisoned. Also, he managed to easily posess a human while still in his prison without even thinking twice about it.
Besides, he had a host of Chaos undivided with him imprisoned, and he seemed to have the backing of all four Chaos Gods.

That sounds quite powerful to me.

Of course, BL-books always have to be taken with a grain of salt, but we have now two accounts of the Tau being resistant to the point of immune against possession. With none of the 100% canon-fluff suggesting otherwise, I`d assume that, until further notice, that we can take this as a fact.

Cheers,
-Bone
It was a BL book? If so...even with a freakin salt block they're considered canon.
Maybe the human was already close to chaos in mind? The undivided means nothing on their own, Fabius technically helps all four god's followers, it doesn't mean he's supported by all four gods though.

I wonder if the pheremone thing hinted at in the Xenos Biology book will ever be absolutely proven as the only means...if it is then chaos could easily replicate the phermones IMO to control many Tau.