Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Shas Council is assembled...
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The Shas Council is assembled...

The conference room was quiet as the gathered council of Shas commanders watched the nervous Fio in front of the holo-projector. At the back of the room, O'Tael and El'Ton'ka surveyed the room with mild interest. The collected group of young commanders would surely benefit from what Fio Shi'Nui was about to reveal.

"And now, I'd like to..." Shi'Nui looked to the back of the room receiving a reassuring nod from Tael before continuing.

"I'd like to reveal... our new XV8 Tactical Performance Simulator!"

The room darkened as the holo-projector displayed the image of an XV8 Battlesuit for the assembled audience. As Shi'Nui continued talking, he grew in confidence as he described the simulator's advanced algorithms for calculating battlefield variables and integrating them into easy to understand metrics for the Shas to evaluate according to their needs. The Fio loaded up a few of the more common XV8 weapon loadouts and demonstrated how at the push of a button, the simulation evaluated the overall performance of the suit at accomplishing various battlefield tasks. He then went on to show how the AI could even be configured to account for the skill of individual pilots. Tael looked over at Ton'ka as the suprised Shas'El struggled to hide the smile on his face when Shi'Nui loaded up battlefield data from his last mission and plotted his performance in a Helios mk6 configuration XV8.

"... and as we can see here, El'Ton'ka's well known predilection for brash battlefield tactics reduces his anticipated "Durability" while increasing his "Versatility" rating."

Ton'ka snorted. Reduced durability indeed... he'd brought the suit back in one piece hadn't he? Mostly... What more do these Fio want?

Fio Shi'Nui interrupted his thoughts. "That concludes our demonstration of the new XV8 Tactical Performance Simulator. Does anyone have any questions?"

"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The Shas Council is assembled...

That is a very nice tool! You might consider sending that one in. It's way better than the little Crisis entry on the GW site. Out of curiosity, what are you using to evaluate the different criteria?
Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Out of curiosity, what are you using to evaluate the different criteria?
I don't even know anymore... it got so complex, after about 3 hours of tweaking it I gave up and called it good enough for government work. It still needs a bit more tweaking, but it's pretty close.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I really like the Crisis suit Tactical Performace Simulator. Just having something to click the weapons around and stuff was fun. Of course I had too much fun...

[size=12pt]Your XV8 design is illegal[/size]

But it was great fun! Nice icons for the standard configurations. You should do them for all the names, it would be really helpful to match all the names in your guide in the Tool.

[sup](To avoid confusion, I wanted many, many twin-linked guns and a slew of hard-wired support systems on a Shas'ui, it wasn't meant to be legal, but it was worth checking it out--great Tool!)[/sup]
Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:47   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

There might be a problem with the twin-linked + other weapon options.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So in plain english, this is meant as a fun utility to, at a glance, determine the rough utility of a proposed suit design. It's primarily for folks that are newer to 40K and Tau since once you get a few games under your belt, you'll probably have most of this information figured out anyhow. I'm looking at adding an "advanced" panel that you can bring up to display more detailed statistics about Meq kills at various ranges, chance to damage various armor values, etc... But even if/when that gets put in, it'll still maintain it's focus as a fun thing to play around with rather than a powergaming tool.

We're looking for feadback on the visual presentation as well as the funcionality. Anything you'd like to see added or changed? Just keep in mind we want the displayed information to be simple and easy to understand for everyone, even younger users. And most importantly, it must look cool

Old 05 Apr 2005, 23:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tonka:

I think it would be really helpful to be able to select "Range" and other categories and click something that shows "Mech Configurations" that match it. Same for anti-armor, or whatever category (the ones showed in the graph). That would be pretty helpful and match it with the names.

Example:

I see "ranged support, cheap, effective at infantry and lightly armored vehicles" and click it and it shows me "deathrain." With a little icon of the deathrain, as well as other configurations that also match a part of the criteria in a descending order.

I also think that in your advanced tab, showing which races each suit configuration is "best" at taking on would be nice too.

I think the graphics are totaly fine. Again, the icons for suit configurations at the bottom are great. Get some more for the other builds!

Old 06 Apr 2005, 00:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I think the graphics are totaly fine.* Again, the icons for suit configurations at the bottom are great.* Get some more for the other builds!
Just as a preview of things to come, I'm hoping to start a new Crisis Suit naming convention soon that will eliminate a lot of the confusion that comes from having a thousand and one different configs, each with their own name. In brief:

Each basic suit config will have a name. For examle, Plasma + Missile Pod is a popular config called the Fireknife. A popular variant of this is to Twinlink the Missile Pod and Hardwire the Multitracker. This is commonly referred to as "Torgoch" configuration. However, in reality, these two suits are very similar. Why not call them both a Fireknife, with some small designation at the end to denote that one of the weapons is Twinlinked? Therefore, what I'm proposing is the use of a number at the end of the Suit name to specify which weapon is twinlinked. It's an interesting fact that none of the Crisis Weapons have the same strength... so therefore, it occured to me that by putting a number after the Suit name that is the strength of the Twinlinked weapon, we can condense a LOT of suit config names down to only a handful. In this example, the "Torgoch" suit becomes a "Fireknife-7".

Here's another example. Another common suit config is Plasma + Fusion + Multitracker. This is commonly called "Helios". My current favorite loadout for my Commander involves Twinlinked Plasma + Fusion + Hardwired Multitracker. Under this naming scheme, my Commander would be piloting a Helios-6 config suit.

So yeah, I agree we need a few more icons still, but hopefully if this new naming convention takes off, we won't need a thousand...

Old 06 Apr 2005, 00:15   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

That sounds like a sensible way of doing it, since I would guess that twin-linking a weapon should have a lower overall effect than switching weapons altogether.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 00:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
There might be a problem with the twin-linked + other weapon options.

Can you expound on this?

Closed Thread