Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] with pics, black and grey tau(sa'cea)vs mostly grey tau, points 1,850
Old 14 Jan 2008, 13:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default [BatRep] with pics, black and grey tau(sa'cea)vs mostly grey tau, points 1,850

Hey all
I am in a 40K league at my local game store and i just re-adjusted my tau list so i could fit three 40K armies in the space i had available.
there was nothing wrong performance wise with the old list, i just don't have space for everything if i want to bring the extra 2 devilfish.

Here was the scenerio-i challenged another tau player to a league game.
1,850 points. he opted for a simple meatgrinder mission and i let him set the terrain. i won the table side roll.

Here is how the board looked for each of us.
the grey who i will refer to as "trainees" ;D

sa'cea strike force-

You can pretty well tell from the pics what are lists have in them, but if you need army lists i can aproxamate his and post mine.

He actually won first turn but opted to let me go first so he could get the last round of fire in.

Turn 1 wasn't all that effective for me i rolled a pen value of 1 on the side of his plasma HH even with an AP1 railhead an 11 just doesn't make it. :P
i managed to only kill some of his HQ squad a few fire warriors and a wound on a crisis team.
and then he moved up to engage

He got thel lucky glance 6 on one of my hammerheads, 1 stunned, shook and weapon destroyed results across my warfish. my onboard HQ was still out of sight do to a bad terrain distance check(big building, they had to walk it) the only other damage he did was kill one pathfinder in an un-bonded sacrifitial team. who made they moral check and stayed in the fight(and got ignored for the rest of the game).

turn 2
Everybody dismounted. normally i would keep them buttoned up to protect them from assault, but given i was fighting another tau player i opted for more weapons on the table and more targets to draw fire away from my more important tanks. this round of shooting was decently effective. i killed 2 piranhas, my HQ crisis team obliterated his stealth suits, i also chewed up his HQ and crisis teams.

His return fire was doing about on par with mine. i lost another hammerhead and had all the guns save a seeker missle ripped off a warfish. my large dismounted pathfinder (green)team took heavy casualties, broke and ran. blue team(fire warriors) also broke and ran after the loss of 2 members

Turn 3
My crazy deepstriking HQ finally decides he will come and join in the fun. promply landing just within range of his rail hammerhead.....rolling 6,6,6, on the armor pen value against the front of it with his missle pod and fusion blaster. getting another 6 on the glance(think he was a bit anoyed they started without him or something) both blue team and green team regrouped(love the bonding knife 8) )

Red team(fire warriors) and thier gimped warfish(only had a burst cannon and a seeker missle) destroyed the nearest crisis team(one survived to run off the table). most of the rest of the fire went into his HQ (shas'o r'myr) unit with only him and shield drone surviving(with ry'myr himself making something like 7+ saves some invul and some regular). blue teams fish got into a shooting match with the lone surviving piranha(that lasted for the next 2 turns)

At first i thought i was loosing to many units but then the tables turned on 3 and his forces started crumbling. he spent most of his return fire on my crisis team and tanks, but i only lost a few shield drones in the exchange.
the best, or worst depending on perspective, part of his turn was when his piranha at half range rolled double 1's to try and glance the side armor on blue teams fish.

Turn 4
My regrouped teams took up firing positions and as you can tell from the pic i was intent on making r'myr dead this turn.

which i managed to do. blue team killed some drones, smart missles killed the others that survived the piranha wrekage from turn 2 and my HQ crisis team exchange fire with his. blue teams fish of course failed to even glance the side armor on the piranha even though he hit 6 times.

His turn saw most of his fire go into my HQ crisis team, and he did a good job, and i rolled the saves badly. not much else was destroyed or even hit that turn.

Turn 5
I forgot to take a picture of, but the short short version. i worked on killing his fire team, hammer head and a firewarrior team in the open, he worked on blue team and my HQ team. blue team took a single casualty, the HQ unit got mauled (only the shas'o and a shield drone left). blue teams fish finally died to a rear shot from the piranha it was fighting(again he rolled double 1s ;D but from the rear it as enough to glance).

Turn 6
By this time the game was pretty much done. i killed his last hammerhead, took him down to 1 crisis suit in the team. he took my HQ teams last shield drone in return, and pouring all his remaing fire into my deepstiking HQ who made all of his saves.
the end of the game looked like this

He had 1 firewarrior team, 1 crisis suit and 1 piranha left on the table.

I had 2 warfish, 1 hammerhead, 2 full strength firewarrior teams, 1 full and one half strength pathfinder teams as well as both of my un-wounded shas'o's for a good solid victory.....

Now you know why i call the other tau force "trainee's"
>
Old 14 Jan 2008, 16:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BatRep] with pics, black and grey tau(sa'cea)vs mostly grey tau, points 1,850

sounds like it was a good battle, now, what did you learn form it?
Old 15 Jan 2008, 06:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: [BatRep] with pics, black and grey tau(sa'cea)vs mostly grey tau, points 1,850

Tau v Tau are some of the best games I can think of. Seriously, I'd play it everyday if I could find another Tau player.

Good work, seeding out the weaker Shas makes the Caste as a whole stronger!

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 09:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
now, what did you learn form it?
Uh the list still works without my other 2 warfish, and i can fit it all in the carrying case. ;D

Oh yeah and crisis suits are still better than stealths.
>
Old 15 Jan 2008, 13:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

and? did you see why people hate laying aginst tau? did you learn any good tactics from it, to watch out for? myabe any other ways of setting up good configs? (i.e. Fish of Fury?)
Old 16 Jan 2008, 09:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've been playing this basic list(minus the second crisis HQ team) since before 4th edition. tactics wise there wasn't really anything new. same goes for the warfish. i always run them that way. i have used FOF when the situation arises but it is not a must in every game.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 13:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wow. I always imagined Tau V Tau games as something akin to the Napoleanic wars, with solid phalanxes of riflemen plugging away at each other until the other breaks and runs.

But that was just...awesome.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Wow. I always imagined Tau V Tau games as something akin to the Napoleanic wars, with solid phalanxes of riflemen plugging away at each other until the other breaks and runs.
Haha noo way, Tau v Tau games are always really fast paced cat+mouse kind of games, Crisis teams bouncing around everywhere, Skimmers trying to get the sweet shot on the enemy, Kroot rushing any Tau foolish enough to not have a Devilfish....

They're -good- games.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 03:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Very nice report and it's always good to see pictures. Have a cookie +1!

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 09:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mmmm cookie's
Quote:
They're -good- games.
Indeed and also very challenging