Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which Broadside secondary weapon is preferred by players?
Old 12 Jan 2008, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Which Broadside secondary weapon is preferred by players?

Missiles or Rifles? I searched the archive but didn't see this being discussed so apologies if it has been.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Which Broadside secondary weapon is preferred by players?

I prefer the plasma rifles for the simple fact that with the TA instead of A.S.S I retain some degree of mobility. That I've never had the problem where their was nothing to shoot at because they were all out of LoS.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 16:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use both in one team(I ran out of Plasma rifles).

The rifles were a nasty surprise the time someone deepstruck some assault termies within 12" and bit off more than he could chew. Granted, I had to use my commander to finish them off, but he niver did that again(I haven't seen him deepstrike assault termies since then Either.

Smart Missiles are useful now with the new Ork Stormboyz, my regular opponent will hide them behind terrain and get a surprise. Really, they're useful against anything that can hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Strange how I was just thinking about this topic as I was putting together a Broadside. But being on topic, I would pick the Smart Missiles with the A.S.S. Yes, Mobility is lost and the high AP weaponry is lost as well, but it keeps up the amount of fire. I find it easier to kill off ten MEQ with more shots fired with a lower AP than less shots with a higher one. I think I'll save my Plasma Rifles for high priority target hunters.

Edit: Does any one remember the thread that came out a while ago with the alternate for the Broadside with the heavy Burst Cannon? I would probably prefer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

For the standard Broadside, I prefer the SMS. After the first couple turns, all the other tanks are generally dead...which are coincidentally the only things with LoS to the Broadsides. So either I can move out, and pending if I have A.S.S. not fire for a turn/move about 5" and fire, or I can stay out of sight and lob 12 missiles/turn without the fear of an attack coming back.

However, if I think I'm going to be fighting a bruiser who likes to get close up to beat my face in, I'll throw a Plasma Rifle on the leader with a Multi-Tracker.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

I use the sms as well. Its cheaper 2 I think? But like some of you said: Just to be safe And more shots usualy do the trick better.
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 22:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
Edit: Does any one remember the thread that came out a while ago with the alternate for the Broadside with the heavy Burst Cannon? I would probably prefer that.
This was down in the board where we make up new Tau units. It was called the bladestorm. And it's not official, just something we all thought up.

On topic, I like the smart missiles. A, it's cheaper, and B, I like ignoring as many shooting rules as possible. I play Tau, so that's what we do.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 22:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

SMS. Cheaper and much better against GEqs. I give my Broadsides A.S.S.s anyways, so I can still move and pulp termies.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 00:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm still torn on this one. I usually go with the SMS and A.S.S. because opponents fear the broadside, and if they can hide from it the will! In about 1 out of every 4 battles I try the plasma-rifle / multi-tracker combination instead, but never seem to quite get the hang of it. Theoretically, you would be able to move a full 6 inches and fire the plasma's, or hold still and fire the railguns too. My most common config mixes the two: a team leader with hardwired multi-tracker and plasmas (and shield drones), 2 regulars with SMS, and A.S.S. on all 3 suits.

Somewhere in here I posted a poll about the broadside support systems. The stabilizers were definitely the most popular option.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 01:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I guess it would depend on the tactics I wanted to employ. I only use Broadsides when I play static, so if I planned on a contingency of moving I would use plasma. If I didn't plan on moving I would use the TA just to increase the chances of popping armour (firm believer in the concept of overkill being the best kill). Besides, for some strange reason I usually have lousy to-hit rolls (and when applicable armour penetration rolls as well). :-[
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote