Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to play Tau "the fun way"
Old 12 Jan 2008, 08:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default How to play Tau "the fun way"

Well, this came up in the 11-page "Tau hate" thread that was locked for obvious reasons, but I'm still curious about it. Since I like this hobby enough to spend more than I should on it I'd like it if I didn't piss off every one of my opponents, especially my brother who collects Chaos, so I'd like to know how to play Tau fairly without the cheese accusations.

Personally though I think I'm already there. I only have four tanks, two devilfishes and only two I ever plan to run as hammerheads. I have a full squad of broadsides, too. The devilfish will be attached to fire warrior squads, but I won't be using the FoF tactic, and actually considered parking them with landing gear to block LOS if I ever needed to...it sounded like a fun thing to try with crisis suits and JSJ. Which I don't plan on using too much of, either...I'll likely only have five crisis suits in my army at any one time, one shas'el, a deep-striking TLFB suit, and a squad of either fireknives or deathrains.

I guess the question is how do you play Tau fairly without gimping yourself or purposely playing like a noob?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 08:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to play Tau "the fun way"

Your opponent will always shout "OMG CHEEZE" if you win with Tau, if you lose then they will rub it in your face.

But if you do find someone who isn't like that to play with, then I find the funnest way is to make up a story and think "What would they use for this type of mission in real life?" In a raid mission, lots of crisis suits, no tanks etc.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 08:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The point is: People who win rarely complain about cheese.

No matter what you field, as long as you win, someone likely to whine WILL whine.

If it isn`t the Hammerhead he complains about, then the OMFG-UBAR-S5 guns of our basic infantry, or our LOLZ!-S10-Railgun.

Now, another point is the "fun"-aspect. Fighting a Tau army isn`t fun like "my leet CC-char is hacking himself through a static battleline", it`s more like "ha! I`m outthinking and outmaneuvring your army!". It`s not "Hollywood"-style fun, and this change in thought is what most opponent can`t pull off. A friend of mine declared that he won`t play against my Tau since they negate "an integral part of the gameply of 40K: The epic clash of infantry in CC". Yeah, right. Sorry, I`m playing the wrong army for this.

So, what COULD help against those nay-sayers are Kroot. Buy one or two cheep units of Kroot, which are useful in their own right, and use them as lure or whatever, just give the opponent the option to hack something up in CC.

But of course, as long as your opponents understanding of "fun" is that he gets to hack up the complete enemy army in CC, he won`t have much fun against a skilled Tau player.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: I don`t understand people complaining about three Hammerheads. Ive played a LONG time three Heads, but I was never really satisified with the result - they died too fast, and my two Railheads never seemed to hit.
Now, I`m playing 2 Broadsides (ASS, Leader with 2 Shield Drones), and two Ionheads. This works out like a blast, but I consider this config to be complete cheese. Yes, you CAN shoot my Ionheads, but you won`t put a dent into my anti-tank firepower - which is hidden in a TEQ-unit with 4+ invulnerable saves, and most probably in cover, too. Try to shake or stun this.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 15:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I dunno... I haven't ever had anyone complain about my Tau, aside from some distinct grumbles about JSJ. I pointed out that this can be negated by deep striking and other sneaky tactics, as well as the fact that jetbikes can do it, too, and he stopped complaining. I own six tanks (three of which are fully assembled and painted), but I generally only field one Hammerhead, unless playing higher than 1500 points. Devilfish are very nice, and I've developed a sudden liking for Skyrays.

More to the point, I've certainly never heard anyone complain about their lack of leet close-combat. They usually enjoy taking advantage of the fact that the Tau can't fight in CC, actually. XD
Old 12 Jan 2008, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
More to the point, I've certainly never heard anyone complain about their lack of leet close-combat. They usually enjoy taking advantage of the fact that the Tau can't fight in CC, actually. XD
They`re not complaining that Tau can`t do CC. They`re complaining that THEY don`t GET into CC, and can wipe their blue behinds.
That`s quite the difference
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What probably helps with this too is what army you're facing. Out of the last several games I've played, I've gotten complaints of cheese because an enemy expected to steamroll me and instead got wiped out or at least defeated with a crushing victory for me.

However, yesterday I had the sort-of-pleasure of fighting against the new Orks. I say sort-of-pleasure because the game was a blast, but I had to do a quick chop job to my list to fight at 1000 points. I cut out most of my armor because he "only" had one Loota and a 500 point squad of Nobs on bikes that hit with 20+ attacks at S10 on the assault.

Anyway, the guy trashed me because I honestly didn't expect someone to do the equivalent of jamming 3 Hammerheads into a 1000 point game, but it was still one of the most fun fights I've had in a long time. The guy was still figuring out his army and the new Orks easily have the most amusing rules I've ever played against.

It was a ton of fun to be playing against a guy who played his army without expecting it to be an auto-win against the Tau and then getting pissy because he doesn't get to just stomp across the field and win.

If you have the opportunity, facing the new Orks can be a lot of fun since they have a lot of stuff to kill without their army getting wiped out and even then they still get to fun Ork stuff. Just make sure you don't face somebody that's so focused on winning that they suck all the fun out playing against an Ork army.
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Snarl
I've gotten complaints of cheese because an enemy expected to steamroll me and instead got wiped out or at least defeated with a crushing victory for me.
I have a sadistic streak doing this with my Tau.

I travel around a lot and I bring my Tau with me most of the times, because for one day each vacation, my parents let me splurge on 40k. I love going to other locations, and defend some poor Tau players honor (usually a young kid). The opponent is generally a cocky smart ass space marine player who likes his ten man terminator squad, and has no tactics. He faces me, and expects the same as some young Tau palyer, and gets wiped out. Only after that does he call my army cheese. Now, I do use my competitive lists against jerks like these, who need to get massacred every once in a while, but I still don't see why people don't change tactics against Tau. One of the scariest things I can think of to face is 60 tactical marines marching down the field. A bunch of shiny things won't win against Tau, period. We have the perfect guns for killing stuff like that, aka the missile pod and railgun. What we don't have is the power to kill 60 marines or Sisters of Battle, or Necrons. To beat Tau, you won't win with a single unit. The Tau fight as an army, and it takes another army, not an incoherent band of warriors, to defeat Tau. It will take six turns, and it will giv eyou a migraine, but it will be well worth it. Why would anyone play a game for two turns, when it is designed for six. It's like playing chess, and using the four move checkmate. It's completely pointless to play. GW gave you six turns, so use it.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 22:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey there Tau. I think the simplest solution to your question is that if you play any army that is made up of an excess of one played out element you will be 'cheesy'. 'nidzilla' and 'fishOfury' come to mind as thoughtless abuses of army structures, but every army has them... SIGAFGH or whatever the Guard people call it nowadays is the same way. Nobody complains when I play my 1 Eldar Falcon full of Harlequins, but if I use 3 of them? yeah... i could see people starting to complain about my cheap easy win. Try being an Ork boss after the new codex (I've seen it for a while now, but I guess it comes out tomorrow)... you COULD just dump an entire army of slugga boyz @ 6 points a pop on the table and win every game, but... to be FUN it has to have some diversity.

I love playing against balanced opponents, but when somebody pulls out their 15 crisis suits in a 1500 army, or 9 carnifexes + 2 ripper swarms, or whatever... i'll be damn sure to bring my harlie-falcons, triple wraithlords, multiple force orgs, etc in response. If not, we all just want a fun game. Only the extremely immature gamer mind likes to win just based on nitpicking a ludicrous and abusive army. Every rock has its paper and every paper has its scissors. Just play with what you like the look of, and you wont have to worry about what is cool or uncool in other peoples judgement.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 23:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

I'm surprised no one has said this yet. The easiest way to get a good, friendly game in, is to choose your battles.

There's a lot less bitching and moaning when you fight people who are good sportsmen, fighting the good fight and taking the result, for better or worse, with humility.

Typically, older+seasoned gamers will put up excellent matches. Just the other day I fought a 'cheesy' list of MechEldar w/ Holo-falcons and Wraithguard, with min. squads of bikes to fill the obligatory Troop choice. It was run by the game store owner, a big guy named Gil, probably in his late 40's early 50's. He played it WELL. And even though I won, we both had a great time. We had a 15min discussion after the game on what couldve worked better on both sides, etc. Even 'cheesey' lists can be played well and with respect.

Only agree to fight people who you think will put up a good fight and take it in stride.

I advocate solid lists, typically Hybrid. My 1750 is up on the Army List board right now and it hasnt seen a loss yet, and isn't even near unbalanced. Though I'm still able to run 5 vehicles, scores of infantry, and a healthy ammount of Battlesuits.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 00:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Does playing Tau the "funny" way count as well. Fielding and entire army with nothing but t/l flamers because your sept got the short end of the stick when it came to weapons shipments? :'(
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote