Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

fire warrior vs guardsmen
Old 12 Jan 2008, 01:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default fire warrior vs guardsmen

so i was looking at sheets for guards men today, thinking that the stats would be horrible and well, they weren't. they were pretty much the same as a firewarrior except the firewarrior has a better save by one, and the guard had a WS that was better and a higher Initiative. So that makes me wonder, why are they a good deal more pricey to put on the table? is a increased save that much better or does it have to do with their weaponry?
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 01:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: fire warrior vs guardsmen

Compare Lasguns to Pulse Rifles.

Enough said.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

its only cheap due to the fact that these little buggers have low stats everywhere else, and a mediocre shooting capability to boot.

however at the same time they give them str 5 weapons <wieghing scale>
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 03:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

It has to do both with their save and the weapons. A 4+ save, by normal 40k standards, is much more durable than a 5+ save, even when there is only a .16 percent difference in passing your roll. Why? Because the majority of the time, a unit with a 5+ armor save won't get to take armor saves. A great many weapons in the 40k universe are ap5, though only special weapons tend to be ap4 or less.

The weapon also factors greatly into the equation. This weapon has Heavy Bolter strength (think about that for a second: The Tau standard infantry armament is as strong as Imperial Guard/Space Marine Infantry Suppression special weapons. This is likely the largest part of the cost.), and has more range than any stock infantry weapon in the game, almost as much as that Heavy Bolter that I was talking about.

When you think about it, Firewarriors just might be a little on the inexpensive side, but it evens out quite decisively when you think about this one little issue: Yes, Firewarriors are armed with kick-D'yi guns. Thing is, that's all they're armed with. They fare very badly in close combat, and have no special weapon options (carbines don't count! They're just light pulse rifles! Markerlights don't count, either. They're not even guns.) whatsoever.

Because of this, firewarriors are balanced quite well in my opinion. I don't see them as being very expensive at all for what one can do with them.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
When you think about it, Firewarriors just might be a little on the inexpensive side, but it evens out quite decisively when you think about this one little issue: Yes, Firewarriors are armed with kick-D'yi guns. Thing is, that's all they're armed with. They fare very badly in close combat, and have no special weapon options (carbines don't count! They're just light pulse rifles! Markerlights don't count, either. They're not even guns.) whatsoever.

Because of this, firewarriors are balanced quite well in my opinion. I don't see them as being very expensive at all for what one can do with them.
Agreed, You pay for the weapon, armour, the ability to have an organic transport that can fire like a fast skimmer and, for what its worth, add 2 extra wounds, twin-linked carbines, 4+ invul save, or multiple networked markerlights. I think having those abilities is far better than being able to have a few more troops that simply die in droves when shot at. Besides, when guardsmen get into cc they fare about as badly as firewarriors (slightly better).
They all seem to even out in the end. Maybe that is why GW made them that way.
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 04:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Guardsmen get heavy weapons. That means your average guardsmen is there to die instead of the guys with the big gun, not do any damage. /shrug
Madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote