Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Space Marines vs Tau - 1000pts Seek & Destroy Gamma
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default [BatRep] Space Marines vs Tau - 1000pts Seek & Destroy Gamma

Hey everyone,

For me, the holidays were a prime season for 40k, as my buddies and I got to play quite a lot. The following was an intense game between two other TO members, Derf Derf and Vector that I had the pleasure of documenting during that time. Like all my past battle reports, I have illustrated the match (to a fair degree of accuracy) on VASSAL.

Enjoy!

[size=12pt]The Mission:[/size] 1000pt Seek and Destroy Gamma (no Dusk & Dawn)

[size=12pt]The Armies:[/size]

[size=12pt]Vector (Blood Ravens):[/size]

HQ:

Chaplain – Reclusiarch
- Jump Pack, Terminator Honours
- Bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum + Frag Grenades
- 122 pts

Troops:

Tactical Squad – LasPlasA
- Infiltrate
- 6x Marines w. Bolters, Plasma Gun + Lascannon
- 133 pts

Tactical Squad – LasPlasB
- Infiltrate
- 6x Marines w. Bolters, Plasma Gun + Lascannon
- 133 pts

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad
- Sergeant w. Terminator Honours, Power Fist & Bolt Pistol
- 7x Marines w. Bolt Pistol&CCWs(x5)/ Plasma Pistol&CCWs(x2), Frag Grenades
- 216 pts

Land Speeder
- Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter
- 80 pts

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad
- Infiltrate
- 8x Marines w. Bolters + 4x Missile Launchers
- 224 pts

Whirlwind
- 85 pts

Total: 993 pts

[size=12pt]derfderf (Tau): [/size]

HQ:

Shas'El
- H-W Multi-Tracker
- Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array
- 97 pts

Elites:

XV8 Crisis Team (1x Shas’ui) - Fireknife
- Multi-Tracker
- Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod
- 62 pts

XV8 Crisis Team (1x Shas’ui) - Deathrain
- Targeting Array
- T-L Missile Pod
- 62 pts

XV15 Stealth Team (4x Stealth Suits)
- 4x Burst Cannons
- 120 pts

Troops:

Firewarrior Team w. Devilfish
- 12x Shas'la w. Pulse Rifles
- Devilfish: Decoy Launcher, Multi-Tracker
- 215 pts

Kroot Carnivore Squad
- 11x Kroot w. Rifles
- 77 pts

Fast Attack:

Gun Drone Squadron
- 8x Gun Drones w. T-L Pulse Carbines
- 96 pts

Heavy Support:

XV88 Broadside Team (1x Shas’ui)
- Team Leader
- H-W Drone Controller
- Adv. Stabilization System, T-L Railgun, SMS, Shield Drone x1
- 100 pts

Hammerhead Gunship (Rail)
- Railgun, SMS
- Decoy Launcher, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock
- 180 pts

Total: 1000 pts

[size=12pt]Terrain:[/size]

The middle of the table was dominated by a gothic ruin just left of center, with a small forest to left and a small barricade to the right. Above that ruin was placed a small rock pillar, which was flanked on the left by a farmstead and on the right with a wooded hill. Directly below the ruin was another small forest, and there was another farmstead to the right of that, with a moderately large wooded hill to the right of that. In the top right and the bottom left corners were two barren hills.

[size=12pt]Deployment:[/size]

Derf won the roll for deployment and chose what would be the ‘top’ of the table. Thus Vector would be playing from the ‘bottom’ and would also deploy first.

Vector began by deploying his Whirlwind behind his farm near the middle, which was generally good idea, except that it didn’t seem to be totally hidden. Derf seemed to see this right away, as he immediately placed his Broadside by the far corner of his farm. Next, Vector deployed his Land Speeder behind his middle forest, and Derf put his Railhead behind his wooded hill. Vector’s last regular deployment was his Assault Marines, which were set tightly around the Land Speeder. From there, Derf deployed his Devilfish with Firewarriors behind farm beside the XV88 and his Crisis Shas’Uis beside his Railhead, while the Shas’El settled behind the top middle rock pillar. Derf reserved his Kroot and Stealthsuits for infiltration and his Gun Drones for deepstrike.

During infiltration, Vector split his 2 LasPlas and 1 Devastator squads into two firebases in the woods along his deployment zone. LasPlasA and the Devastators went into the woods in front of the Land Speeder and ASMs, while LasPlasB went into the wooded hill overlooking the clearing to the right. In response to these, Derf placed his Stealthsuits behind the woods left of his farm, about 24” from Vector’s primary firebase, while the kroot went into the wooded hill across from LasPlasB.

[size=12pt]The Plan(s):[/size]

I didn’t know what either player was thinking, but their deployments seemed solid, and I could only guess at what they were planning to do.

Derf tended to take the initiative in games and liked to take the fight to the enemy as soon as possible. However, his deployment seemed a little more defensive, which I guess was prudent, given Vector’s strong firebases and ASM squad. I just assumed Derf was planning to kill off the ASMs before attacking Vector as I’d usually do.

I thought Vector’s deployment was pretty good – a definite improvement from the last time we 1v1’ed! Having the better assault army, I figured it would most probably be Vector who would play offense this game.

[size=12pt]The Battle:[/size]

Derf Derf won first turn.

[size=12pt]Turn 1 (Tau):[/size]

Derf rolls a 6 for A.S.S. and moves his XV88 around the left corner of his farm, sighting the rear quarter of Vector’s Whirlwind. Meanwhile, the Stealthsuits jump down from the forest to engage the main Marine firebase, as the Devilfish pulls back further behind the farm. On the other side, the Crisis suits and Railhead also break cover, the Shas’El heading toward the left and the rest toward the right.
The Broadside fires its Railgun into the exposed quarter of the Whirlwind, scoring a penetrating hit and causing it to explode!
Derf then fires a submunition across the table from his Hammerhead, hitting LasPlasA but splashes onto the Devastators. The blast kills 2 Devastator Marines.
The Stealthsuits also open up on LasPlasA, killing 1 of the Tactical Marines.
The Shas’El fires on LasPlasA as well, but the wound is saved.
On the right flank, both Shas’ui fire on LasPlasB, the Deathrain failing to kill, while the Fireknife manages 1 kill.
SMS fire from the Railhead kill 2 more Marines from LasPlasB, causing the squad to fallback 9”.
In the Assault Phase, Derf pulls all his battlesuits back to their original locations.

[size=12pt]Turn 1 (Blood Ravens):[/size]

LasPlasB regroups, but is stuck far from their original post.
Vector’s ASMs and Land Speeder dash up behind the central ruin, in preparation to attack up the left flank.
LasPlasA fires at Derf’s XV88, but misses.
Having moved only 12”, the Land Speeder also fires at the Broadside, rending away battlesuit’s Shield Drone. The Shas’ui however, holds.
Vector fires his Devastators into the Kroot, killing 4 chicken and causing the squad to run 7”.

[size=12pt]Turn 2 (Tau):[/size]

Derf’s Kroot regroup easily enough, while the Broadside has second thoughts, failing its Last Man Standing Test and running 6”. Undaunted, Derf calls in his Gun Drone Squadron, which Deepstrike perfectly, right near the Devastators.
The Stealthsuits jump out again, this time to fight off the approaching Marines, accompanied by the Devilfish, which swings out alongside them. Derf’s Shas’El jumps out to the left again, as do his other crisis, while the Railhead jets forward for a better shot into Vector’s primary firebase.
The Devilfish engages Vector’s Land Speeder, its pulse guns stunning the smaller skimmer.
This frees the Stealthsuits to send the ASMs a riddle, killing 1 with their cunningness.
Derf’s Shas’El also fires into the ASMs, felling 1 Marine by its plasma.
Both the Deathrain and Fireknife fire missiles into Vector’s Devastators, killing 1 by accurate shooting.
Derf’s Hammerhead fires its submunition into LasPlasA, killing 2 Tacticals and 1 Devastator. The LasPlas squad holds.
The Gun Drones also kill 1 Devastator, their grenades sending the Marines diving for cover (ie: the marines are pinned).
Derf’s battlesuits again retreat to their original spots.

[size=9pt]*I messed up the placement of the Shas’El, which should have ended up back at its original spot.[/size]

[size=12pt]Turn 2 (Blood Ravens):[/size]

Vector runs LasPlasB up to the near corner of the lower right forest, while the ASMs continue upwards, closing in on the Tau commander.
LasPlasA takes a shot at the Devilfish, scoring a disappointing miss.
The ASMs snap off a quick volley at the Shas’El from close range, bringing the commander to a sudden end.

[size=9pt]*I messed up the placement of the Shas’El, which should have been at its original spot behind the rock spire.[/size]

[size=12pt]Turn 3 (Tau):[/size]

Perhaps feeling some pressure now, Derf redoubles his efforts to be rid of the Marine assault force.
The XV88 regroups, but will be ineffectual this turn.
Derf disembarks his Gun Drones off the Devilfish, which then advance to the furthest corner of his farm. The Devilfish itself shifts left, taking the place of the Stealthsuits, which advance to get LOS to the ASMs. The 2 remaining Crisis suits do likewise, as the Railhead hops in behind. The Kroot return to their original post.
The disembarked Gun Drones fire on the Land Speeder to no effect.
The Stealthsuits show 1 ASM the BC Cha-Cha.
The Hammerhead’s SMS home in on the ASMs as well, but its attacks are all saved.
The Crisis suits also pummel the hapless Marines, but only the Fireknife manages a kill.
The Gun Drone Squadron spoils another Devastator’s day, but their hijinks fail to cause a pin.
The Devilfish takes one last crack at the Land Speeder, but fails to net any results.
In the Assault Phase, Derf pulls his battlesuits back. However, the Drone Squadron dives headlong into the remaining Devastators, tying them up in close combat.

[size=12pt]Turn 3 (Blood Ravens):[/size]

With his units all badly bruised and/or tied up in combat, Vector needs to start doing some damage quickly to stay in the game.
He charges further up with his ASMs, closing in to hit the Broadside. Wanting a rear shot into the Devilfish, he swings the Land Speeder left beside the forest, attempting to set up a pincer attack.
Vector orders his ASMs to fire into the battlesuit, seriously risking his chances of an assault+consolidation move to get into grips with the other Tau. Luckily for him, the squad fails to inflict more than 1 wound on the stricken suit, even with its two plasma pistols.
The Land Speeder is out of LOS of the Devilfish, so it fires into the two Gun Drones, rending them into oblivion.
LasPlasA fires at, and again misses the Devilfish.
LasPlasB fires at the Kroot, the Lascannon causing 1 bird to go up in a puff of smoke.
In Assault, the ASMs charge the XV88 and massacre it, allowing them to immediately consolidate into the Stealthsuits. Meanwhile, both the Devastators and Gun Drones fail to hit, drawing on their combat.

[size=12pt]Turn 4 (Tau):[/size]

With collapse of the left imminent for the Tau, Derf moves to implement some damage control.
He jets his devilfish down, directly behind Vector’s Land Speeder, while the Crisis suits and Railhead edge out from the upper right forest to get a few more shots off.
The Devilfish shakes the Land Speeder with a sharp burst from its cannon.
The Railhead fires a solid shot at the Marine skimmer, but misses!
The Fireknife also misses the Land Speeder…
But the Deathrain destroys the skimmer with its missiles.
The Railhead also fires a parting shot at LasPlasB with its SMS, but the missiles fail to hit their mark.
In the Assault Phase, the Crisis suits retreat behind their tank, but the Stealthsuits are massacred by the ASMs, who then consolidate towards the Devilfish. Meanwhile, the Devastators manage to swat down two Gun Drones, although it is not enough to scare them off.

[size=12pt]Turn 4 (Blood Ravens):[/size]

Vector presses his attack in the left by bringing his ASMs into striking range of the Devilfish. He also runs LasPlasA left towards the skimmer and advances LasPlasB towards the Kroot.
Shooting at the Devilfish, the ASMs manage to destroy its burst cannon.
Charging the Devilfish, the ASM Vet. Sergeant manages to stun the transport with a mighty slap from his Powerfist, driven on by his Chaplain’s Litanies of Hate. Unfortunately, the last Devastator “Goes To See The Emperor” as a Gun Drone lands one final bounce off his chest.

[size=12pt]Turn 5 (Tau):[/size]

With the game coming to a close, Derf’s Gun Drones and Crisis suits head left in an attempt to fire some final shots in on the Space Marines, while the Hammerhead heads down to finish off the mauled LasPlasB. Perhaps the Devilfish can survive that one turn before help arrives.
The Gun Drones fire on LasPlasA, but fail to kill.
The Railhead unloads on LasPlasB, killing 2 and sending the 1 remainder back 7”.
In Assault, the Crisis suits continue left, but the Gun Drones duck back behind the bottom forest.

[size=12pt]Turn 5 (Blood Ravens):[/size]

LasPlasB fails its Last Man Standing Test and retreats off the table. Although Vector caused some good damage in the last two turns, he is now left with only 2 half-strength units.
LasPlasA fires on the Devilfish with both Lascannon and Plasmagun, hitting but failing to damage.
The ASMs fire into the rear hatch of the Devilfish and manage to down it, killing 4 Firewarriors into the crash and pinning the squad.

[size=12pt]Turn 6 (Tau):[/size]

Being his last turn, Derf moves all his units left to try to get in some last shots.
Both the Crisis suits and Gun Drones fire at LasPlasA, but fail to get the one casualty needed to totally bag the squad.
The Hammerhead fires its SMS in an similar attempt to secure the ASMs, but also fails to kill.
Having caused no kills this turn, Derf pulls back again to deny Vector any more VPs.

[size=12pt]Turn 6 (Blood Ravens):[/size]

Vector closes in with LasPlasA to finish off the downed Shas’La.
Rapid-firing into the Firewarriors, LasPlasA manages to kill 1.
The ASMs also shoot, but kill none.
Irritated, the ASMs charge the Firewarriors and kill them all.

[size=12pt]Conclusion:[/size]

Both players put on a solid effort that made for a game with many surprises and twists. Although Derf had been playing 40k for much longer than Vector, the Tau were very new for him and so it seemed that it was a fairly equal match up.

In the end, the Victory Points were tallied up:

Vector:
Kills: Stealth Team (120 pts) + Firewarriors (120 pts) + XV88 (100 pts) = 340 pts
1/2 Kills & Remaining Scoring Units: LasPlasA (67 pts) + ASMs (111 pts) = 178 pts
>1/2 Scoring Units: N/A
Total: 340 pts + 178 pts = 518 pts

Derf Derf:
Kills: Devastators (224 pts) + Land Speeder (80 pts) + LasPlasB (133 pts) + Whirlwind (85 pts) = 522 pts
1/2 Kills & Remaining Scoring Units: LasPlasA (67 pts) + ASMs (111 pts) = 178 pts
>1/2 Scoring Units: Deathrain (53 pts) + Fireknife (62 pts) + Gun Drone Squadron (96 pts) + Hammerhead (180 pts) + Kroot (77 pts) = 468
Total: 522 pts + 178 pts + 468 pts = 1168 pts

Points Differiential: |518 pts – 1168 pts| = 650 pts

Results: Crushing Victory for Tau!

[size=12pt]Post-Game Reflections:[/size]

To be honest, I was sort of rooting for Vector, so it was a little disappointing to learn that he had lost by such a large margin this game. Both lists seemed well matched, though Vector took some critical losses during the game and seemed to roll slightly below average for his armor saves, which eventually denied him some of the guns he needed to press home his attack. Also, his targeting choices could have been a little better, to make the best use of what firepower he had. Vector’s army list and unit deployment seemed generally strong (with the exception of the Whirlwind!), but he needed a better targeting strategy to make best use of it. In any case, best of luck to Vector in future games!

On the other hand, Derf’s played out a pretty textbook Tau strategy by seeking to wear down his opponent from a distance before closing in for the kill. However, he may have allowed his units to get a little too close to Vector’s ASMs and may have isolated his left flank by not moving to rescue it soon enough. Even so, a few Derf’s units preformed quite admirably, such as his Railhead and Gun Drones, which helped greatly to tip the balance of game. All and all, a strong run for an army that had only seen its second game.

Hope you enjoyed this battle as much as I did!

EDIT by Ravager Zero: +1 for a great, non-biased bat-rep. Good work.

EDIT by Floobosaurus: Victory Points Section edited for clarity.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BatRep] Space Marines vs Tau - 1000pts Seek & Destroy Gamma

This is brilliant: the most detailed and thoughtful battle report I've ever seen: you deserve a bundle of Karma...

Shame about the result, whilst I was supporting the Tau, I think the Blood Ravens didn't deserve to lose that badly.

If I had been Vector I would have stayed back, shooting the Tau, and leaving my Assault marines for a counter attack rather than charging and overreaching myself.

Very good,

Songblade

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey thanks, Songblade, I'm glad you liked my report. You must be a pretty fast reader too - I'll see when I can get another report put up!

Hey, uh, to any Mods... I had a bit of trouble with the pictures sometimes not loading up on this page - could it be because I put too much stuff into a single post? If so, would it be possible to split this thing into 2 or so posts like it's usually done?

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Excellent batrep, the only thing I noticed was that the cost of the Gun Drones was wrong, a squad of 8 is 96 points since drones are 2 more than a firewarrior. It's interesting to have a batrep from someone who wasn't a player in the actual match.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, I find some Batreps (not really the ones here) are very biased.

Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I just tried splitting up the BatRep, but the pics have still been on and off, so I'm just gonna keep it on one thing...

Hope all of you are seeing the pics okay - they really make the report what it is

Oh yes, and I've fixed the Gun Drone typo - thanks, korik1

Old 11 Jan 2008, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

The pics are working fine for me Floobosaurus.
It may just be a connection issue or something similar.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 08:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pictures are fine here too!

Old 12 Jan 2008, 14:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its a great bat rep, which the pictures can tell on their own (dont need to read the writing between them).
But there's something wrong with the victory points...
Forgot about the dead Shas'el and Devilfish, and you said that the marines half killed their own squads.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 15:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Very good, but i have a question to ask. Were the fire warriors in that devilfish all game? i didnt think there werwe actually any on the field until they were forces to disembark. I would have deployed them earlier

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote