Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Implications for O'shova
Old 11 Jan 2008, 18:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New Implications for O'shova

Now that the New Ork Codex is out there is finally fluff on the current conditions of the Enclaves.

Apparently the Warlord of Alsanta (i absolutely love that they have expanded on Charadon and Alsanta the two Ork Empires) invaded the Empire, but was unsuccessful. One can surmise that it was these orks that Farsight was fighting against.

Later it states that the warlord, after purchasing more 'dakkier' orks renewed the conflict with the Tau in the Farsight worlds. It was here that he succeded in 'outsneaking' the Tau and actually defeated Farsight (tactically) taking three of the Enclavite 'sept' worlds. Now the Tau are in a prolonged war of attrition which they cannot afford with the Orks who continue to grow in strength.

So- what does this mean? Well, in all liklyhood this means that the Timeline is now for sure been 'bumped up' since the same Ork Warlord involved in the attacks on the Empire was driven off during the raclamation wars Farsight fought in and then renewed attacks against his Enclaves (so no more 200 year old Commander as another character is now around the same age).

Next- it means that there is no noticable difference between O'shova and his Tau and other Tau- otherwise the Orks would have described them differently (spiky bits and what not).

Additionally, it reveals that perhaps, instead of O'shova going rouge he has merely been caught up in a campaign he cannot afford to lose as the border of the Empire would be invaded by an enormous and united Ork Waagh! So maybe it wasn't that he 'left' the Empire, he just could never get back as he is entrenched.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 18:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New Implications for O'shova

Indeed it does. Without the codex myself I cannot elaborate or look at the text myself. But it would seem that this could be rather likely. However then the question is why hasn't he asked for help from the Empire?

However can I ask what does this mean;
Quote:
(so no more 200 year old Commander as another character is now around the same age).
Does this mean that Farsight himself is dead? Or not in command of the 'Enclaves' anymore?

Or does it mean the entire timeline has been moved, so that Farsight can still be around?

Genmotty

Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for sharing calmsword. I definitely have to pick up that ork codex now .

Thats a quite interesting change to the fluff as it was sort of assumed that Farsight finished his campaign against the orks. Maybe though this renewal of ork vs. Tau combat came after the Tau Empire tired to contact Farsight? This seems more of an continuation of the Farsight storyline rather then a tid bit being added. And the reason why he never contacted the Empire is still a mystery.

At Genmotty:
I think the timeline's just been moved. Myabe eventually Farsight will become a 200 year old anomaly (as said in the 1st tau codex), but he's probably no where near that age right now.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

they specifically mention that the Warlord of Charadon is a successor name- not Alsantar, which means he was around right after Damocles fighting Farsight- which means that they are both not 200+, instead it means the time line has been bumped.

The Orange: It means that Farsights campaign never ended, that after he lost his Ethereal he kept going further and further confronting a growing threat until he, somehow, made it to the farside of the Damocles Gulf.
In addition- he is still leading from the front as he is caught in a ork pincer attack and barely got out alive. Interesting eh?

I think the reason why he never contact the Empire, now, is that how could he? The Tau don't posses FTL communication and the Gulf is just too big. It gets interesting because now the Empire has 'assumed' the worst rather than Farsight going off and doing his own thing. (it means that Farisight didn't do anything wrong, but it means he kind of went AWOL and that has scared the Empire)
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:19   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

This is fantastic news. Maybe this can dispel that Chaos Tau crap about Farsight.

Of course, I do like the mystery of the Aun death, this seems to bring it down slightly - Aun mysteriously dies, but he has bigger problems to deal with....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is still the Artefact World to worry about: Farsight could well have been corrupted by the Necrons. As for losing 3 sept worlds, they better have minor, because losing 3 systems would have been a blow from which the Tau could not recover.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

well- the thing is is that it makes the Greater Good more convoluted-his colonies could be 'out of whack' as they are at war all the time. This is considerably un-tau and who knows what the psychological effects might be.

But i really do love that we can finally put those _____ chaos theories to rest. Finally, i feel like we can get into real- difficult work on O'shova as he becomes a Tau cultural problem and no just another Chaos/Old One/Necron blah blah issue- it is uniquely Tau.

I mean, you have a string of war worlds on the border- not Tau
They have survived without the Ethereal, possibly misguided and off balance but they are surviving- not Tau since the Mont'au
An incredably brilliant general fighting a war no one knows about while he is becoming villified back home (which might be because they are afraid of what might have happened)

It makes the issue much more interesting and no longer able to be written off as 'rebel tau'
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes- okay if that's what you really want- but the argument is weakened since now there is a reason (Empire defense related) as to why he is all the way out beyond the Gulf.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I know, but you can't deny: something happened on that Artefact world.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

I don't get it... How the hell is that supposed to happen? It's just a simple fact; the Orks can't actually outright defeat Tau, especially named characters. It's like an unspoken rule.

Gah, I still don't know what to make of this... :sadnshocked:

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote