Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Landing Gear
Old 11 Jan 2008, 07:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Landing Gear

Gotcha. ~.^
You were expecting this to be a post asking if Landing Gear made you immune to immobilized results, right?

Anyway, I know how landing gear works. The point is, have you ever used it to any effect in a game? I have! Any time one of my tanks is given a 'stunned' result, I land it! There's no rule that says you can't, and hammerheads make great impromptu cover for Crisis suits. Landing gear is, in fact, useful.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 07:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Landing Gear

Wow, you actually get stunned? I usually get an armament blown off, immobilized, or simply destroyed (even with decoy launchers). I guess my luck really does suck. :'(
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 07:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

No I don't think I have ever used it to any great effect. Though using them as cover is a great idea, I usually don't have anything nearby to make use of that provided cover when my skimmers get unfortunately stunned etc., or blocking LOS may happen to hurt me more then my opponent.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 07:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The only time the landing gear has come in handy for me was in a tourney game. 2500 point armies, so when I got placed against a Necron player, I inevitably faced 3 Monoliths, 2 of which managed to deepstrike on turn 2 (and the first one died on Turn 1). The scenario was screwed up pretty heavily for me (my entire army was crammed into the tiny corner deployment zone and no infantry until they came in as reserves). All reserves could come in at any board edge.

So when I inevitably got screwed by Necron warriors walking onto the board in rapid fire range, I put my three Devilfish with full Firewarrior squads in the Necron deployment zone. I landed all three skimmers, hopped the Firewarriors out the back, and waited out the entire game. All three squads went totally unharmed since the Necron could get across the board quickly, but not back to their deployment zone. The Firewarriors stayed out of LoS and the Devilfish became almost invincible to the few Gauss weapons that eventually walked into range.

So yeah, I've had landing gear be useful. Once. Being able to land a stunned Devilfish/Hammerhead is a pretty useful thing to point out, though. Thanks!
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 12:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My Friend had a bunch of devistators with 4 lascannons hiding behind a building just coving firelanes

I turbo boosted a phirana in front of them and next turn landed it effectivly blocking LoS. (They fired at something else that turn)
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 12:38   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The only issue with landing is that a stunned skimmer is still hard to hit in close combat. So I wouldn't do it if there are units nearby with melta-bombs of their ilk. But landing them to serve as cover is actually a very good idea. You certainly don't lose anything unless there are units of yours that want to fire through that same area.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
I turbo boosted a piranha in front of them and next turn landed it effectively blocking LoS.
Hate to break it to you but they don't have landing gear.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
I turbo boosted a piranha in front of them and next turn landed it effectively blocking LoS.
Hate to break it to you but they don't have landing gear.

Thatīs right they even can carry Seekers but may not take landing gear (I have no piranhas so i dont know if the model comes with the pieces for landing, if so may be you can, as stated in the landing gear description on TE 30pg: -Tau vehicles are fitted- ... yet another odd thing cuz in their options isnīt considered) nuff said.
Mpori Ebatoi is offline   Reply With Quote