Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Pulse Weapon Change Poll
View Poll Results: Which change would you prefer, or use more?
Pulse Rifle: Heavy 1 2 1.79%
Pulse Carbine: S4A, Assault 2, no pinning 25 22.32%
Tau Weapons are fine as-is. 85 75.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jan 2008, 05:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Tau Pulse Weapon Change Poll

Which would you guys prefer, or find yourselves using more often in games you play? All other stats are held equal to what they are now, unless otherwise stated above. This included Fire Warrior statline and Gun Drones.

Edit: Whoops, there should be a third option: "Tau weapons are fine as-is" but I guess it didn't go through(read: I forgot to put it in before hitting the button :)

Fixed. - Khanaris
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 05:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau Pulse Weapon Change Poll

I think this poll is a bust since the option I wanted to select wasn't available :P
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Polls can always be edited after they are created. If you forgot an option or want to propose one, please feel free to send a mod a PM about it. I do not recall if you can still edit your own polls or not as a member.

I can't think of any reason why the Pulse Rifle would need to be weakened by making it Heavy. I suppose if you raised basic Fire Warrior BS to 4 or halved their cost. Otherwise, it would force Tau to play in a static fashion like Imperial Guard, and they are currently not balanced to survive that.

The Pulse Carbine does need an update, but I am having trouble figuring out how to make it viable against the Pulse Rifle. It would really require a change in how pinning works, since decreasing its strength would mean that players are even less likely to use it. I also wouldn't want to give it the same statline as a Dire Avenger Pulse Carbine, as that is part of what makes that unit special.

So no, I wouldn't prefer either, and I am not sure they would even work with the current list.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 05:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I say fine as it, but then the carbine is a bit weak compared to the rifle. The assault 2 is tempting, but I kind of like the pinning ability (even though it's useless most of the time).
Old 10 Jan 2008, 07:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Why would the carbine lose power? It still uses the exact same ammunition as the pulse rifle, it's just not as accurate at range.

Additionally, there's no benefit to be gained by just making the pulse rifle a heavy weapon.

A better (And personally, more interesting : ) topic for discussion would be changes for the krootoxen and the kroot gun:
Assault 2 at 24"?
Assault 1 at 48"?
Heavy 2 at 48"?
Or leave as is...
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 07:54   #6 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

I personally think the pulse carbine should be assault 2 and leave the rest as it is. The only downside is that it will make even more lethal (downside from the non Tau player perspective) but it would give a reason to outfit your more mobile teams with carbines and the more static ones with rifles for the increased range.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 15:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Assualt 2, Str 5, Pinning.

That's what I want for the pulse carbine.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 15:30   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

The pulse gun is fine as it is - its not god like, but it perfectly offsets the weakness of combat, without removing the weakness.

Short of them changing the entire game to "movie" style (they seemed content to only let marines get that :) then I'm fine with what it is at the moment.

Of course, an Assault 2 carbine would make FoF even nastier than it is now, and easier and safer to pull off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 15:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

the obvious problem is that a pulse rifle that is "heavy" couldn't FoF.

Besides I don't think there should be troops choice that completely has heavy weapons.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hi,
Whats strength '4a'?
thanks,
Shas'O Bar'Naby