Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pizza Power Play
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2005, 10:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pizza Power Play

Hi......I'm an italian new TAU player... talking with experienced italian players i came to know that TAU, in italy, will hardly win a tournament because many other armies (eldar, chaos) can powerplay and TAU can't.
In italy powerplaying is a must in high level tournaments...
I'm reading the advices in this forum and i don't know if can apply them even in italian style of play....
The question is... is italy's style of playing different from other countiries? Or even strangers powerplays at tournaments??

Sorry 4 my english if u did't understand ask me.... O0

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 05 Apr 2005, 11:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default Re: Pizza Power Play

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Secondly, Tau CAN powergame/powerplay... or at least, win against powergamers with somethign thats not powergaming, but is instead, skill.

Study the various tau Tactics here, paying close attention to the Mech tau ones -as these may be an unexpected weapon-, and try the advice thats given, even if it's only a theoretical trial.

I think application of them should be possible, and that Italy's style of play matches everywhere elses in some ways but with the specific differences that see more powergaming. Tournaments here, for example, are said to be filled with powergaming armies.

And good luck in proving your allies wrong, and winning a Taunament!

And lastly, don't worry too much about the english. It's better than some actual english-speaking peoples I've seen.

Old 05 Apr 2005, 12:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You are very polite my fellow
This relieves me a lot about TAU playing...
Now i ask u......In you country did happen that TAU wins tournaments?
In Italy it happen very rarely (here so few uses mech tau, they're all statics)

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 05 Apr 2005, 12:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglim
You are very polite my fellow
This relieves me a lot about TAU playing...
Now i ask u......In you country did happen that TAU wins tournaments?
In Italy it happen very rarely (here so few uses mech tau, they're all statics)
I don't really know, but Tau have been making a good showing from what I've heard. There's the chance the Mech tau will wind up gaining the psycological advantage since you say it's uncommon, so if you give it's tricks a whack, it might be effective for the simple fact they don't see it coming.

Static forces have thier own tricks though: A huge mass of Fire Warriors and such blasting away at incoming fast moving assault troops can generally make a mess, so what I'm thinking is, the Italian Tau are being unlucky, since Staic forces are very reliant upon getting the first shot off. Mech are not reliant upon this, but won't sneeze at the chance.

Old 05 Apr 2005, 12:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In denmark Tau usually goes really far in tournaments, and all of the armies are mech tau or hybrid tau.
If mech tau is rare in Italy, most people wont know how to counter it properly.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Old 05 Apr 2005, 13:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

There were several good Tau armies at ther Baltimore conflict thingy recently...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 13:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMagnus
There were several good Tau armies at ther Baltimore conflict thingy recently...
I'm sure of this.... my fear is that italian gamins is too powerplaying for TAU armies to win....
I hope to find the way to do well with my army...
Question:
At baltimore conflict u could see army like this chaos one?

- Daemon prince
- 3 Obliterators
- 5 man marine squads /w plasma rifle/lascannon
- 2 Devastator squads
- 2 defilers
- Basilisk

Or eldar with seer council, 3 wraithlord and loads of starcannons?

This is italian powerplay....hard life for a tau :-[

Old 05 Apr 2005, 13:46   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

As that Chaos list is illegal, I doubt anyone will face it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 05 Apr 2005, 13:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglim
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMagnus
I'm sure of this.... my fear is that italian gamins is too powerplaying for TAU armies to win....
I hope to find the way to do well with my army...
Question:
At baltimore conflict u could see army like this chaos one?

- Daemon prince
- 3 Obliterators
- 5 man marine squads /w plasma rifle/lascannon
- 2 Devastator squads
- 2 defilers
- Basilisk

Or eldar with seer council, 3 wraithlord and loads of starcannons?

This is italian powerplay....hard life for a tau :-[
I dont know about baltimore, but the chaos army isnt that uncommon in denmark (iron warriors, right?) , eldar however, is mostly played as "eldar flying cirkus", with lots of falcons and starcannons, and imo thats worse than wraithlords... Still, Tau can deal with both chaos and eldar, if you can just outmanuver them, which you can.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Old 05 Apr 2005, 15:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Welcome aboard - it's always nice to find add another EU citizen to our ranks.

Power-gaming (power-playing sounds more like a hockey term ) is much more common in the European (non-GB) tournaments than in the US. I've heard numerous complaints about the Italian tournaments specifically.

A question: Do the Italian tournaments use composition/painting/sportsmanship (aka "soft scores")scores? If not you can expect a lot more PGers since they're not penalized for taking those ridiculous armies. Here in Germany the Grand Tournament does but with the smaller tournamentments it's hit or miss - the last RTT I played in had no formal soft-score system and so my army didn't do as well as it could have - it's based more on theme and appearance than absolute performance. If they do use soft scores then the first thing you can do is work on painting and sportsmanship since they can go a long way to improving your standings.

The army you describe (aside from being illegal with its 6 heavy support choices....) would not do well in a US Grand Tournament: It might win all of its games but it would get butchered in the soft-scores and probably finish somewhere near the middle even with a perfect win-loss record.

Can tau compete in that environment? Yes, but it's going to be very difficult to come out on top. Tactical skill and the ability to do the unexpected can go a long ways b/c many PGers never have to learn how to deal with the meta-game - they simply rely on massive firepower to compete. However, you're still fighting an uphill battle. You can gear up your list pretty heavily but it's really hard to outdo the space marine and chaos lists (particularly the chaos list) when it comes to abusive lists. My hunch is that in a PGer environment you probably need to gear your lists to kill MEQs (i.e., armies with a 3+ armor save) because that's what most people will gravitate towards. That means a ton of railguns, maybe an ion head, and a minimal complement of easy VP targets. However, the tau list is extremely well balanced - it's very difficult to generate an abusive PG list on par with the daemon prince from hell army you're likely to face.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread