Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

It's hard to break the iron!!
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2005, 09:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default It's hard to break the iron!!

I have a real problem with my TAU.....
It's insanely hard to beat the Iron Warriors.
I'm italian, and in italy powerplay is a must in tournaments.... anyone that want to stand a chance to win have to powerplay with his army.
The army most played by italian players is the chaos Iron Warrior.
The list it's always the same ad it's the following:

- Daemon prince
- 3 Obliterators
- 5 man marine squads /w plasma rifle/lascannon
- 2 Devastator squads
- 2 defilers
- Basilisk

He fires a lot! Much more than my TAU army.....
But in CaC he's so much strong, and i'm so weak :'( :'( :'( :'(

What can i do to stop this chaos disease???
I hope u could help me

for the greater good...

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 05 Apr 2005, 10:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: It's hard to break the iron!!

ok it looks as if you have a real problem...iron warriors cheese is about the most pungent there is...

What i woudl advise is denying him LoS at all times possible, keeping your troops, battlesuits/broadisdes etc. behind cover and forcing him to come to you.

Also, stick your broadisdes behind size 2 terrain, which makes you immune to infantry fire (from havocs and obliterators), but you can still target monstrous creatures (the prince) and his tanks.

Ingiltrating kroot, and a lot of them will really help, they can infiltrate out of the iron warriors LoS and 12" away from then...then the sheer bulk's of kroot can swamp the marine squads and the infantry. Even if the kroot do not win the assult it stops some of the heavy weapons fire and allows your troops more freedom to appear out in the open without being gunned down.

Furthermore, use deepstriking crisis suits to take out the basilisk, and keep your battlesuits jumping in and out from behind cover to keep them out of LoS.

Deep-strking gun drones may also be useful here for harrassing and taking fire away from your main force.

If you tell us the points limit we can help you more and try and come up with a good list for you using the models that you already have. I hope these tactics will be of use for you!

Old 05 Apr 2005, 10:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I agree with 42 that swarms of kroot will in this situation be far more useful than fire warriors.* Take one large squad of fire warriors for the massed fire power and probably two large squads of kroot (obviously however I don't know the point's limit so bear that in mind.)

Use Broadsides as 42 says.

I'm not so sure about gun drones but I think that crisis suits will be massively useful here because of their great weapons - make sure you use their assault move to* keep them out of assault range.

Good luck for your next battle
Old 05 Apr 2005, 10:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

gun drones would only be for deep striking purposes, they have a larger quantity of accurate weapons to target armour 10. As the basilisk has weak armour on the sides and rear a team of gun drones will almost certainly put it out of action early on, saving you a lot of trouble as you go and search for it. Deepstriking crisis with twin linked fusion blasters or twin linked missile pods are also going to be effective against the weak rear armour of the defiler's as well (do they have indirect fire...if so then deepstriking is even more important!). Just be aware that the earliest the deep-strikers can come in on is turn 2, and even then its still 50/50...

Old 05 Apr 2005, 10:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The point limit is 1500 pts....
So a mech tau with BS is the solution u suggest?
If there aren'r any sizel 2 terrain the BS is death...
I'm not sure i want to take the risk...
Do u suggest 2 deep striking crisis??

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 05 Apr 2005, 13:47   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'm I the only one who sees five Heavy Support choices in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 05 Apr 2005, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

You will have a slight advantage in that your opponent will have an extremely low model count. *Just about everything he has is heavy, so he probably won't be very far from his table edge. *With that in mind, there should be a few holes where you can drop a crisis without it getting assaulted. *That being said, it will probably be shot to pieces unless you can find a spot where you have line of sight to your target but nothing else. *Both defilers and the basilisk are going to be indirect firing, but the devastators and obliterators can't. *This may separate them in your opponent's deployment, and you should try to take advantage of it. *Swamping his small squads with kroot is an excellent idea. *Your opponent is going to want a lot of cover to shield from the railguns, and the kroot should be able to deploy in it. *Kroot (as a squad) have little to fear from lascannons and plasma guns, so as long as you can take out the Defilers and the Basilisk early, you should do fairly well against the other units.

Good luck, though. *That is one of the archetypal powergaming armies (I'm not going to say cheesy because it does fit the Iron Warrior's fluff), and its weaknesses are hard to exploit.

I'm not sure about the heavy support choices.* At first I though this was two detachments (4 minimized troop choices), but there is only one HQ choice.* Do Iron Warriors get a special organization chart like Saim Hann? Otherwise that is not a legal army.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I'm I the only one who sees five Heavy Support choices in there?
Yeah, as I noted in the other thread, the list is illegal. Are oblits elite choices or heavy support?

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 15:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Obliterators are 0-1 Elites except for Iron Warriors, who have the restriction removes.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 15:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Wargamer pointed out the 5 Heavies... and he's right. 4 heavies is all the Iron Warriors may take.

Now here's the problem with the army:

3 x Ordinance indirect fire tanks.

The rest is completely doable for Tau, especially in 1500 points. But the ordinance will keep you out of your holes. No hiding from AP3 templates that can hit you behind your terrain.

Many, many models will help with overwhelming as well as mounted troops in skimmers, which will not fall to ordinance so fast. Suits will be tricky--they can't hide.

The good thing to know, is that his indirect fire capability ends when you are within 36 inches of him, then he will only be able to fire via line of sight. So use that to your advantage. Against this army, I would fill my list with Kroot and a single mounted Firewarrior squad. I would take stealthsuits and hammerheads other than that. A broadside would be nice, but you will be facing a -lot- of lascannons. This many lascannons takes down mobile armies quickly and eliminates a unit like a broadside no problem (even with gundrones).

Abuse the Independent Character rules for sure. Two Shas'El Fireknifes can be a great help since they cannot be fired down. Of course, their protective targets may disappear fast.