Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"FoF kroot assault" ROCKS
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2005, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default "FoF kroot assault" ROCKS

I'm not going to go into detail here, because I don't want this to be a battle report. I want to share with everyone a tactic, not a battle.

The battle that this tactic was tested in was 1000 points vs orks/DE. (necrons were on my side as well, but had nothing to do with my side of the table.)

my list was as follows;

shas'el fireknife

2 squads of 12 fw's with shas'ui in fishes with decoy

2 squads of 20 kroot

railhead

the enemy had a massive mob of sluggas backed up by a raider, 4 jetbikes, and 2 squads of DE with dark lances.

I had my army deployed opposite with the "FoF kroot assault" in mind.

The FoF kroot assault (or just kroot FoF) has the kroot deployed in cover, with the fishes behind. The orks advanced and were hit by the 40 kroot shots, lost quite a few boys but those were a drop in the bucket really.
The orks moved forward and rapid fired, killled 3 kroot. the 37 kroot moved foward, along with the devilfishes which deployed the fw's. The fw's blasted the ork mobs until only 20 or so were left. The init. 3 kroot struck before the orks on the charge, and wiped them from the table in one turn.

needless to say, I wiped the rest of the enemy (including GROTESQUES) from the table with minimal casualties after that.

Tell me;

do you think that this strategy would work again? should it be taken in 1000 pt games, or 1500+? Did I just get lucky? Or is this the best thing since FoF?
Old 05 Apr 2005, 04:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: "FoF kroot assault" ROCKS

Against anything with I4 that wouldn't work at all. But yeah, against I2 or I3, it's awesome!

Congrats on the win!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 05 Apr 2005, 04:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

I got a question about Grotesques cause you brought them up. My friend plays dark eldar, but dosent have thier codex. Yeah. Well he used to have it. Anyways, he said that Grotesques cant be wounded by a str 4 or 5 weapon. It has to be 6. Is that true? Does it apply to shooting, assult or both?

Anyways, as for the Kroot Fof. Sounds very interesting. Might have to give it a run.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

yeah, having hounds is a good way though so many hounds strike symulteneously with the marines and remove the hounds as casualties giving the Kroot all their attacks.

kudos on the win though.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 05 Apr 2005, 06:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky_beef
I got a question about Grotesques cause you brought them up. My friend plays dark eldar, but dosent have thier codex. Yeah. Well he used to have it. Anyways, he said that Grotesques cant be wounded by a str 4 or 5 weapon. It has to be 6. Is that true? Does it apply to shooting, assult or both?
It only applies to shooting attacks - it takes a St 6 weapon to wound them. It's a non-standard version of "Feel no pain" which the 4th edition was supposed to standardize but then GW decided to start FAQ exceptions. > Of course they couldn't do that with tau drones though... :

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 00:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Just give it a try, see how it works. Dizzy's idea is great with the hounds.... to bad I don't have any.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 01:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

dizzy, on your idea with the hounds, #1, could you take 20 kroot and then take 8 kroot hound, or would it have to be 12 kroot and 8 kroot hound? #2 how many kroot and hounds would you normally take for this strategy?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 06 Apr 2005, 03:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

you can take 20 then 8 yes, I normally take 16 kroot and four hounds because the kroot box is 16 and 4 houds is a nice convenient 2 blisters
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread