Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drone question
Old 08 Jan 2008, 20:59   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Drone question

It's very simple. Fluff wise the drone is a rudimentary artificial intelligence. It is reasonable to surmise from this that while a sentient, intuitive individual might know to lead a moving target, a basic AI would not and instead rely on volume of fire to hit the target (hence the T/L pulse carbine) and for those of you who doubt the gun drone's ability to hit a target, they hit more often that your stock firewarrior (55% of the time as opposed to 50% as is the case with your standard Shas'la). As for how they operate while attached to a vehicle, well maybe the vehicle has a drone controller integrated into its avionics or fire control systems that when deactivated the drones disengage from the vehicle to operate on the basic programing of "march to the sound or the drums and shoot at anyone who doesn't look 'Tau-ish.'"

As a suppression asset, Gun drones are some of the best units the Tau can field. JSJ, T/L pinning assault weapons, high initiative, and deep strike (if they are an independent squadron to start with), not to mention that they may supplement any unit in the Codex with access to the armoury. They are also cheap,points wise, for what they can bring to the table. I would mount gun drones on every vehicle I had if I had enough modeled to do so (oops on my part when I made my first full squadron of eight).

As for using the vehicle's BS for firing drones, he didn't know, so there is no cause for yelling and name calling :P
I was under the impression that they were passengers that could fire their weapons, not weapons systems, as stated in the codex in the vehicle armoury section. They do not count as a vehicle weapon system for an armament destroyed result.
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 21:58   #12 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortargrunt06
...and for those of you who doubt the gun drone's ability to hit a target, they hit more often that your stock firewarrior (75% of the time as opposed to 50% as is the case with your standard Shas'la).
I think you meant 55% vs 50%. TL BS2 only gives you 55%
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 22:16   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
I figure they're a weapon system, and you can destroy them w/ a 'Weapon Destroyed' result, so why not?
Well there's your problem right there. They can't be "weapon destroyed" as their treated as passengers when the vehicle takes hits.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 23:08   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My bad, i know it's only 5/9 of the time, it was only a typo and its fixed now.
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 01:36   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They are little doom frisbees! GDs are one of my favorite Tau units, I also assault with them all the time to help tie up units....they even swept a unit of guardsmen once...that was hillarious. I get lucky with those things more often......
Old 09 Jan 2008, 01:54   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like that you don't have to spend the points on a vehicle multi-tracker to get Skimmer Moving Fast and still fire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of the rules is that in a fast-moving devilfish without multi-tracker the drones can still fire. You just can't fire the burst cannon and move fast. Since the drones put out a comparable amount of firepower to the burst cannon the multi-tracker isn't really needed with a drone-fish.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 03:36   #17 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Yeah, the drones can fire because they are passengers and not weapon mounts.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 13:57   #18 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
I figure they're a weapon system, and you can destroy them w/ a 'Weapon Destroyed' result, so why not?
Well there's your problem right there. They can't be "weapon destroyed" as their treated as passengers when the vehicle takes hits.
And have to force disembark if the vehicle takes a penetrating hit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 14:20   #19 (permalink)
Shas'La

Slightly off topic,

Drones have always reminded me of the film
Batteries not Included

Does anyone else get this?

"Lem otesh, lem koem dath kian na slidd"
-Raiph Hastoisista of the Iaereabelah

"We saw the fall of our race and we laughed,
We see the galaxy wreathed in war, and we laugh,
We know the futility of the universe and laugh and laugh!"
- A Shadowseer of the Dris'suith.

"La mayyitan ma quadirun yatabaqa sarmadi
fa itha yaji ash-shuthath al-mautu qad yantahi"
MonTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 14:42   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think the low BS, despite it going against fluff, is for balance.

I mean, Gun Drones are already better at CC than Fire Warriors. They can utilize JSJ, and can deep strike. They have Twin-linked Pulse Carbines, which can pin, and have 18" range. If you give them BS3, they'll even shoot better than Fire Warriors.

As-is, they're not a bad unit. The only downfalls I see are: (1) small unit size, and (2) low leadership. A shame they aren't fearless, but then again that might be asking for too much.

Hey, if you're looking to fill some Fast Attack slots with something other than Pathfinders, Piranhas, or Tetras, then Gun Drones are the way to go.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote