Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

would lists like this be considered "cheeze"
Old 08 Jan 2008, 09:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default would lists like this be considered "cheeze"

i'm sure you all know that i dont believe in "cheeze" army lists.

its just that i have so far baught and sold 2 tau armies becuase i never lost with them and people started getting a little......... miffed

my latest incarnation of tau madness is thus:

to use 9 broadsides with shield generators and shield drones (i like that config - it worked in my previous lists) backed up by crisis suits (and crisis commander/s) with flamers and fusion guns and whatever upgrades.

plus a few token fire warrior teams :P

i have never seen a list like that produced by anyone so i was wondering if there are any players out there that have had any success with it.

i'll check my tau codex tonight and get a proper list prepared but i want this to be as refined as possible becuase i will be using 9 FORGEWORLD broadsides and my shield drones will be the forgeworld "technical" drone thingys.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 09:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: would lists like this be considered "cheeze"

That's a lot of points spent on broad sides..
I wouldn't personally call it cheesey, things like three hammerheads are considered cheesey, though i think with the broadsides with shield drones.. it's on the boarderline :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 09:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
That's a lot of points spent on broad sides..
dont i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I wouldn't personally call it cheesey, things like three hammerheads are considered cheesey, though i think with the broadsides with shield drones.. it's on the boarderline :P
on that note - it's 5pts more per broadside i think to give them ALL 2 shield drones (and would save 25pts on the 2 the team leader would have bought).

hehehe

this will be more a show army than anything else (the last broadside i got from forgeworld took a weekend to put together and about 3 paperclips worth of pins - let alon 9 broadsides : )

but yeah, i want a list that is very different to my current ones and that will look awesome on the table - forgeworld broadsides fit that bill perfectly.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 12:30   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

It would look awesome, but I think it is probably on the opposite end of the scale from "cheeze". Unless your opponent just really likes tanks, it is sort of extreme overkill. The Railguns will have fulfilled any purpose they might have by the first turn or not it all. The secondary weapons on the Broadsides would be the only thing that might save you from close combat lists. With normal 25% coverage, I can't see most lists having trouble finding lines of approach. Taking Shield Drones actually makes the Broadsides worse, since while they are better protected, they also lose accuracy and the ability to respond to new threats, as well as getting fewer shots when both systems are in range. And of course, you have no means of taking objectives. So the enemy will just lose a few infantry to Railguns as they approach, and the Broadsides will spend the rest of the game taking 2+ armor saves or dying to power weapons.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 13:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My first question would be how you got both Shield Gens and Drones on every suit? BS only allow for one support hard point each, except if you have a team leader upgrade and then you only get a pair for Drones max per squad...
SparkeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 13:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkeyG
My first question would be how you got both Shield Gens and Drones on every suit? BS only allow for one support hard point each, except if you have a team leader upgrade and then you only get a pair for Drones max per squad...
i thought i said it was 5pts more expensive to take drones instead of shield generators :huh:
Old 08 Jan 2008, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yer id take 1 unit of 3 brods and two hammer heads

brods are too expensive to take nine!

theres nothing in the dark angels codex that cant be done better in the space marine codex
wolfmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 19:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

It would rock in Apocolypse, I was thinking something similar and making it a Datasheet....a whole bunch of Broadsides made for Super-Heavy hunting.

But uh, yeah its not bad. Pretty durable.....unless someone gets into CC, then you've got so few units with so few attacks, you're done. But I suppose the 9 TL railguns and your Commander would halt most advances.

imo, you'd be ripped limb from limb by the new Orks, as you're wasting the anti hvy vehicle on ramshackle trukks and mobs of 30+ boyz.

Find an Ork player and find out for me, I'm curious to see how that'd go.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 00:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkeyG
i thought i said it was 5pts more expensive to take drones instead of shield generators :huh:
Nah you need to look at the codex man Broadsides get only one hardpoint that can only be used for a support system. If you use up the support system to put on a shield generator then you cannot also give them a drone controller and two shield drones. What you CAN do is make one of the three suits in a team a team leader, who then can also have hardwired gear in addition to the one hardpoint. So you could have a team that looked as such:

XV-88 Broadside: Team leader, Shield Generator, HW-Drone Controller, 2x Shield Drones

XV-88 Broadside: Shield Generator

XV-88 Broadside: Shield Generator

Using this as opposed to simply taking three broadsides with SGs is a difference of 35pts more for the whole team.
Old 09 Jan 2008, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I made a list like that to try it out, but haven't played it yet. I gave them all stabilizers and a team leader with 2 shield drones. I might have upgraded the leader with multi-tracker and plasma rifles, but I don't remember. I think it is cheesy (in fact, I named the spreadsheet "broadcheese") to make that unbalanced a list, but it would be nasty against some armies. A good mobile opponent could probably out-maneuver you, though, and a single squad of assaulters with power weapons that made it your static firing line (no way this would be a mobile army) would make the list collapse in a hurry.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote