Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot: Are they really worth it?
Old 07 Jan 2008, 20:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Kroot: Are they really worth it?

Forgive me for being brash, because I see a lot of Tau lists have Kroot in them ... but really are they worth it?

I see them as being a blemish on the Tau list. They aren't great fighters in CC, their shooting isnt much different from the Tau, their save is dismal at best. So other than bolter fodder, or a sweeping support unit (easily replaced by XV8's) why bother?

Maybe I'm just bias, but I am building my Tau army as just that ... pure Tau. No Vespids, no Kroot and no Human Aux.

Can someone show me the error of my ways, or validate my arguement?
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Kroot: Are they really worth it?

I don't use Kroot myself, but that is a personal choice based on my style of play. Of course they are worth it. They are not so much an assault unit, but an assault capable unit. There strength is to be parked in forest, and to shoot anything that passes by them until assaulted, at which point at 2 attacks each striking first, should be able to finish off if not do a good amount of damage the first round. They have a 4+ cover in forest, and they are cheap points wise. And don't forget the ability to see through and shoot through 12" of forest, if you ever find that big of a forest in your games, hold it and abuse it with your Kroot

But really, to view them as simply bolter fodder is rather close minded.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Kroot are only really worth it when your not going to sit back and shoot, you have full swauds of 20 with shaper, with all the krootox and kroot hounds you can have, and when you have lots of forest. Don't take them if your going to sit back and shoot because the points are better spent at more firepower to take the enemy out before they get to you

hope this helps
Greggoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 21:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Kroot are the Tau's only Horde unit. These guys have 2 attacks anyway, and a full unit could easily tie up high point squads like Terminators in CC (But less so in shooting.)
Old 07 Jan 2008, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kroot are useful if you know how to use them, and bolter fodder is not how you use them. Thats by far the stupidest idea I've ever herd, IMO, as it indicates that your willing to just give your opponents free VP for nothing. If you want something to soak up fire, use a unit that actually can soak up fire like a unit of FW's. Better to give them only a 50/50 chance of snatching 10 VP from you (because of their 4+ save) rather then giving them a 100% chance of snatching 7 VP from you.

Uses of Kroot:
1. Great unit to bunker down in cover. Grab some 4+ cover and guess what? You've got yourselves a 7pt Fire Warrior, grab some forest terrain and guess what? Well you've got the same thing .
2. Decent counter attack unit, kroots advantage here comes in sheer #'s, not from each one being uber powerful by themselves.
3. Infultrate, a great way to claim territory early and deny you opponent all the choice pieces of cover. From their they can either be used as a speed bump against your enemy as they need to move in and remove the threat, or if your opponent ignores them, they can be used to harass enemies (again their shooting is quite good).
-or-
You can use it to disrupt your enemies infiltrators, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggoman
Don't take them if your going to sit back and shoot because the points are better spent at more firepower to take the enemy out before they get to you
You'd be surprised at how good they actually are at that.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 22:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I usually use a squad of kroot as my troop choice after the mandatory firewarrior team. They are a defensive unit that I use as an assault screen in front of the firewarriors. They are usually the first to die, but that doesn't mean they're free victory points. Put them in cover and have them shoot the guys that are coming after them before soaking up the assault, and they'll likely give almost as good as they get. Since they infiltrate you can always get them ahead of the main firing line / deployment zone. The biggest problem I have with them is their leadership. The shaper is overpriced, and even with him you only have leadership 8. There's no way to boost it any higher than that, so they usually end up running off the board rather than getting killed.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 13:55   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Forgive my closemindedness ... but this was exactly the type of response I was looking for. A validation from different points of view. Thank you all for this contribution. At some point in the future I might field kroot if my play-style dictates it.
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
They are usually the first to die, but that doesn't mean they're free victory points. Put them in cover and have them shoot the guys that are coming after them before soaking up the assault, and they'll likely give almost as good as they get.
Well thats exactly what I hope people will use them for. What I fear with the whole "meat shield" idea is that people put kroot out in front of their FW outside of cover, which makes no sense to me. I agree that LD is a big problem for the kroot, but what can you do :-\, they are mercenaries after all.

Closemindedness forgiven ;D. Kroot have their uses. It may not suit every army style, but their not useless. My favored trick is using kroot hounds to help a kroot unit beat the crud out of an I4 enemy unit. Hounds strike first, then when the enemy attacks, take the casualties from the hounds, thus your kroot will all still be around to strike back, causing even more damage.

Kroot-ox aren't half bad too, though they are expensive. Str 6 in combat is no power weapon, but it sure as heck close enough. Their great at taking down enemies like gene-stealers, as well as insta-killing T3 characters (buy buy inquisitors >).
Old 08 Jan 2008, 17:36   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i like to use my kroot as a harassment unit. i enjoy infiltrating behind enemy lines in cover and taking pot shots at the enemy until they get annoyed enough to go after them. its good for getting a jump on objectives.
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 18:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I really like to take at least two small units of kroot.

If the mission includes table quarters, then I will infiltrate them into corners so my opponent has to divert troops to kill them, or risk giving me massive victory points. I've had 300+ points of assault marines diverted to kill 70 points of kroot, who between a round of shooting and striking from cover managed to kill of four of the marines, so all it took was a single round of fire from my Ionhead to knock them below half.

The other use is to find a nice bit of cover and bunker down in it. 10 kroot can put out a respectable amount of fire. They are a pain to drive out of cover, and even if wiped out, don't give your opponent many victory points. I find that if I take more than two squads I start running out of good places to deploy them.