Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

limits on types of commanders.
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2005, 01:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default limits on types of commanders.

Why the limit to only crisis commaders? I'm sure that other the course of the modern tau empire that there has to be at lest one broadside or stealth pilot to make it to shas'el or 'o. it would be cool to have spacial characters like farsight that give the army some way to slightly expand there abilities, any where from extra force chart slots to new training like farsights ork fighter. i would really be looking for a firewarrior shas'o that knows the ins and outs of light infantry fights and allows his troops to gain a fleet of foot, or a stealth commander that allows some of his infantry to infiltrate.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 01:25   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: limits on types of commanders.

I would love to see other options for our commanders. I do wonder what happens to experienced Stealth and Broadside pilots. In terms of mechanics, though, only the Stealth suit would be particularly fluffy or useful (although an inexpensive unmounted Shas'el would be nice). I tend to think the broadsides would be too busy to do much commanding.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 01:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

anything could happon, though i would like him to be able to give himself and all broadsides in his team to use there rifles like morters... only a pipe dream.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 01:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

yeah, BS aint big on the commanding, and if they did, simply lift off the rails and he's commanding and flying around.

I'm thinking a stealth or OOsuit commander would be cool, I'm sure theres justification in the fluff somewhere but as it stands FW are promoted up the ranks and given suits, so whast the difference if they get given a Crisis at 'El and 'O?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 05 Apr 2005, 01:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the reason if just for style of play and to be diffrent, i for one hate to have some zerox copy of an army. and just for cost, a un-suited shas'o can do the same commanding but costless and aid in diffrent ways than he normaly would, and dont forget we are talking about one time commanders like farsight.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

the problem is that the fluff dictates that as Shas advance they are given suits.

I dont have a problem with cookie cutters myself, and the fact that an unsuited O would do nothing for Mech means I really dont care
go here
Old 05 Apr 2005, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

limiting yourself like that makes absolutely no sense to me, not only will your games be the same every time but when somone does get a good idea to counter you it will always work. no matter how long you have been playing this game or the tau means nothing if you dont know your troops and your own ability's. so if you have the option of diffrent types of commanders (for a start) can boaden your tactical options. adapt and be flexible.

as with the space marines and the forces of chaos, they have diffrent factions with diffrent ways of combat and commanding. they as a whole are more versitile than the tau.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 02:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

A stealth commander I would love, but a no-suit commander encourages staticism, which is totally unfluffy,

and in MechTau if it dont infiltrate or fly it aint coming , and a unsuited commander would add nothing to a fish and kills nothing, so I dont see the neccecity :P
go here
Old 05 Apr 2005, 02:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you mey be limiting yourself hopelessly but that does not mean others cant, do you ever take the terrain itself into account? there are boards where i play that your lucky to get 18'' of space between you and your target, a firewarrior team able to change postion quickly on its own can be real killers. yes kroot are good too but there is little real cover by game standerds and limits them. a mech tau army is not always the right answer and never will be, its good on most areas but when the fighting gets close in like a city you can have all the range to want but it still (by game rules) cant fire throught that building. so a shas'o that knows how to fight a light infantry war will with the day or a commander that knows the broadside rail rifle like it was apart of his own body can know just where to fire to take the peace of terrain out.
Old 05 Apr 2005, 02:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYcrimsonTEARS
a mech tau army is not always the right answer and never will be
I'd take issue with that if there want already a needless thread disputing Mech superiority ^-^

yes I do take terrain into account thats why I play mechtau, flying over terrain beats slogging through it

the minimum space between DZ's is 24" , and add to that the fact that "a fire warrior team able to change position" is half the point of mechtau :P.

little real cover? you just asked if I took terrain into account ^-^ the GW recommended minimum is 25% which gives more than enough cover for some kroot.

and when the range gets close you dont want static FW standing still you want a Fish team to pick up and go somewhere else. also when the fighting gets close you want the increased mobility of Mechtau to make use of it, not Static teams which and I quite "cant fire through the building"

sorry if that came off smarmy or stuck up but most of it is contradictory ^-^.
go here
Closed Thread