Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warfish upgrades
Old 07 Jan 2008, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Warfish upgrades

Hey there. I just added a 5 man pathfinder squad to my (essentially) hybrid 1.5k list. I decided the best way to use the mandatory devilfish is to go for the "warfish" approach. I was just wondering what you guys think is the best way to equip and upgrade a warfish. Obviously I will be taking the sms upgrade, mt and decoy launchers, but what other upgrades should I have on it, 2 seeker missiles (the only would be seekers in my list)?, targeting array?, target lock?...All of these seem like logical options but with so many upgrades the point cost goes up so much that it would cost roughly the same as an upgraded (and scoring) skyray or ionhead. Thanks for the help.
bcn5021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Warfish upgrades

I usually keep them cheap. With only 7 str 5 shots, I think it's best to send them out after one unit at a time. Not much point getting a TL to split fire between targets. I'd probably go for the TA though as that benefits both weapons. Seeker missiles are iffy, as they really boost the cost of the DF, and if the DF dies thats a lot of VP going to your opponent. But if you going to be moving that DF into a really good firing arc for those missiles, then hell why not.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 05:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

I usually make the Pathfinder's Devilfish a 'Decoyfish'. Not to be confused with putting Decoy Launchers on a Devilfish....it's just a straight up bare bones 80pt transport. I use it as a decoy, running it forward obnoxiously and making the opponent 'wtf?'. Most of the time they disregard it, in which case I use it to launch Gun Drones and Tank Shock. And if they do devote firepower to it, they might be turning a tank's side armor to another unit of mine, say....Deathrains, making the 80pt fish worth the 170pt leman russ.

Best example of this was the other day @ the game store, fighting IG. Drove the Decoyfish straight up the side where his Leman Russ was parked. He was like "is anyone in there?" "no" (I get them out by turn 2 the latest) "k". Moves his tank to the boardedge so I cant hit the a.ss of the tank.

My turn, drive the fish right up near it, deploy the Gun Drones to get shots on the rear armor (since armor sides are dictated by drawing an X on the center of the vehicle) hit with both, rolled a glance for one, the other one failed, but the Glace, to his horror, rolled a 6. Gun Drone takes out the Leman Russ that my Hammerhead had been shooting til then, to no effect (AV 14 is hard.)

He argued it but we broke out the book and showed the diagram of Vehicle armor. He was wiped out to a man within two turns of that.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 05:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

And I totally just realised I went off on a tangent there. Sorry.

I keep the Pathfinder's Devilfish cheap, as I employ that tactic with it, but as for Warfishes, I use two, one for each FW squad. SMS+TA, and if I've got the points to waste, I'd even think about throwing down a Multi Tracker so I can move 12 and fire all its guns. Though that's usually not the way I do it, as its over-kill and I've got better use of 20pts.

The Warfish you described is fairly point heavy, 135 if I'm correct....I'd lose the seekers without a doubt, you've got XV8's for armor busting. And as for the Decoy Launchers.....it's a worthwhile investment if you don't need the points elsewhere, but if you're good with a Devilfish, it won't come under fire until it's no longer an issue (delivered FW payload, FoF'd, saved a unit's D'yi, etc.).

A transport, imo, should never cost as much as an Ionhead. Unless you're dirty filthy cheating Eldar with their indestructo-tanks. Shenanigans.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 07:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Seeker missiles are iffy, as they really boost the cost of the DF, and if the DF dies thats a lot of VP going to your opponent. But if you going to be moving that DF into a really good firing arc for those missiles, then hell why not.
Do you really need to have a firing arc for the seeker missiles? I was under the impression they don't need one since they don't require LOS, they are mounted on the vehicle hull, and skimmers don't block enemy fire they only require target priority tests to be taken if they are between friendly and enemy units. I could be mistaken though, I never use them because they rarely earn back their points (10 points each that can only be used once a game and it is still only 42%-56% certain to hit the target in the first place)
Know your foe, for they shall make every effort to know you. Know yourself, for if you do not you yield the advantage to your foe. Never allow a foe to gain an advantage, but never take your own advantages for grantid. Always leave your foe a way out, for they will fight harder when there is no escape. If a battle is inevitable, fight it on your terms, not your enemy's. Mercy and kindness should never be taken for weakness. And lastly, the only perfect victory in war is one that has no casualties, for either side.
mortargrunt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 07:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well what I mean by a firing arc is that when your shooting them at a vehicle it's ususally better to get the missile to hit them on the side/rear, rather then the front . If your DF is going to be moving deep into enemy territory then you'll probably be getting some really nice angles on the enemies armor, thus using a seeker or two could be quite beneficial.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 09:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have two main configurations of devilfish. The basic one has decoy launchers and nothing else. It's used as little more than a gun-drone-dropper and a distraction for my opponent, or occasionally to evac the fire warrior squad if an assault unit is getting too close. Actually, it only occurred to me recently that the drones can fire from a fast-moving fish without multi-tracker.

If I've got the points, I usually make the pathfinders' fish into a warfish. My warfish configuration is multi-tracker, decoy launchers, smart missiles, and targeting array. I rarely give it seeker missiles.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote