Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interesting question about Kroot Rifle and newest Tau Codex
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Interesting question about Kroot Rifle and newest Tau Codex

So, I remember in the old codex, the kroot rifle was listed as counting as 2 CCW. The wording has changed slightly in the new one, and now the rifle is listed as an "additional" CCW. Can anyone point me at any rule that states that all models count as having 1 CCW no matter what, so that this rule gives Kroot the second attack I'm 99% sure they have, or did GW really mess up and make Kroot an even worse CC Unit? Thanks.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Interesting question about Kroot Rifle and newest Tau Codex

Its basically shoddy wording. They still recieve the plus 1 attack for having 2 CCW, otherwise it would not be mentioned - you recieve no bonus for having just "an additional CCW" if you don't already have one, so it would be pointless mentioning it.

Don't worry about it, the rifle functions the same as the old dex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm not so sure. With GW's new policy of Rules as Written, and as you stated, there is no bonus for "an additional CCW" so there is no reason for it to confer an extra attack. Now, my interpretation is because the rule states that it is an additional CCW, there must be a pre-existing one, but I'm not sure there is any basis in the rules for this. I'm not trying to argue that it shouldn't give the extra attack (I love using my Kroot, and wouldn't give them up even if they didn't get the attack) but I think that we need to read the rules very carefully as there are many poorly written rules that can easily be interpreted to mean one thing when the actual intention was something completely different. If someone can point me to a rule that all models count as having a single CCW weapon, then I would feel comfortable accepting that because the rules for the Kroot Rifle say it is an additional one it would give an extra attack.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:31   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Simply the fact it states it how it does - it would not be mentioned as an additional if it was not surposed to continue to give the =1. If it did not, then it would simply be listed as a Kroot Rifle.

RaW really isn't the best place to look for something like this - I know RaW is bollocks, but in some cases reading a rule can be left open for interpretation, with benefits either way.

In this instance, however, what it should be is clear. I can't imagine anyone would be dumb enough to argue with you over it, but if you are worried, contact GW and have them say it.

Look at it like the Terminator armour - by RaW, they do not have Terminator Armour, yet the intention that they do is obvious. Same with a Kroot rifle - were it not intended to give the Kroot +1, it would not be written the way it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's discussions like that threaten to make the game much less fun. Given the way the English language functions, one cannot have an "additional" anything without first having a minimum of one. The Big rule book doesn't state that they automatically have a hand weapon like it does in Fantasy, but the Codex assumes they do. The Codex trumps the rule book and functions as an exception, and so they get two attacks just like everyone has always known they always did.

Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

There's no point even mentioning this: I mean, do you really want to lose the attack? ;D

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 17:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi_Vral
I'm not so sure. With GW's new policy of Rules as Written, [...]
So you mean to say that the Kroot Rifle has a special rule that does nothing. You rules-lawyering muppet... :

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok, what I'm trying to do by raising this question is have a solid answer to someone else who may bring it up. The argument that there are not 2 CCW on a Kroot was brought to me, and I don't have an answer that is stronger than the "additional" means there is already a weapon. I was looking for something that used the rules to prove that they get the extra attack, not a knee-jerk "Of course they do, why would it say so other wise?" It seem that the general consensus is the same as my original argument, "additional equals second." It doesn't strike me as a very strong argument, but it is one that holds water. I was hoping (as I've heard lots of good things about this board) that someone would be able to say "See this rule here? When you combine it with the Kroot Rifle rule, it shows that you do get the second attack."
Old 07 Jan 2008, 17:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Fair enough. Sorry for jumping on you, then.

Me? I preferred it when they just said "...(already included in profile)..."

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 17:46   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'll tell you what, that sure made everything easier....Stupid GW, stop dumbing things down, so you actually have to think about what you're saying. Buncha Jerks