Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

hovertanks of the Tau
Old 07 Jan 2008, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default hovertanks of the Tau

Hi everyone!

I have some doubts about the movement rules regarding the devilfish and the hammerhead. I hope that some old commanders here would help me and share their wisdom (for the greater good, please).

Itīs stated (in the 4edRB) that -vehicles cannot pass over other troops (even those of the same army belonging the vehicle)- and then when it comes for explaining skimmers itīs says that -skimmers can fly over enemy troops.

I donīt understand this. They may fly over enemies but not over your own troops? is this right? and what happens if two different units are engaged in an assault, can a hammerhead or devilfish fly over them to reach a new position or their movement is blocked by those on close combat (but not with the vehicle?

thx already!!!

Mpori

Pd: ohh... somebody know what happened to an recently article posted on the news, regarding an amazing list of new ideas for commanders on crisis suits and their costs (like: an extra hardpoint, rail rifle for crisis, etc)? I canīt find it anywhere and forgot the name of the article ???

Mpori Ebatoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 05:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: hovertanks of the Tau

AFAIK, that's correct.

My fluffy justification for it is that there may be some possibly detrimental effects to having a twenty-four ton piece of machinery flying above you, pounding you with jet exhaust and/or passing through its anti-gravity field.

This would be why Hammerhead pilots don't want to fly directly over their troops, but couldn't care less about buzzing enemy infantry at two or three meters off the deck.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 07:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpori Ebatoi
Pd: ohh... somebody know what happened to an recently article posted on the news, regarding an amazing list of new ideas for commanders on crisis suits and their costs (like: an extra hardpoint, rail rifle for crisis, etc)? I canīt find it anywhere and forgot the name of the article ???
You don't, perchance, mean my old article?
[/shameless plug]

As for the original question, Doombringer's spot on as far as the rules go.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can anyone give me a pg#? I've got the little rule book, and I don't recall reading anything of the sort. Have I been wrong all of these years?
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

On page 70 (of the "small" rulebook), vehicles and assaults section regarding skimmers can be read the following:

-skimmers can always choose to move over enemy troops and this neither impedes their movment nor harms the troops below-

Followed by this, on the tank shock section in the same page:

-Remember that vehicles cannot move over friendly models-

I know this, specifically regards assault with vehicles, but my questions stillīs if this also apply to the skimmers movement (since in the tank shock area even says "remember", as if it is stated somewhere else).

Mpori
Old 07 Jan 2008, 16:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, this is a lilībit contradictory because of what itīs stated for the category vehicle skimmers in the rules...

On page 60:
-some advanced machines are fitted with jets or anti-gravity drives that enables them to swoop and hover a few meters above the ground...-

and on pg. 61:
-Skimmers are capable of making a powered boost to gain height and cross obstacles...-

So, you canīt pass over friendly units, but you can swoop over obstacles (even those represented by friendly and enemy units engaged in close combat)?

Itīs odd, donīt you think?
Old 07 Jan 2008, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

That only works if you can class friendly troops as obstacles, and as far as I've seen, nothing in the rules says your own troops as obstacles. The BGB (thats what we call the rulebook for short) only gives skimmers the ability to jump over enemy troops, so just stick with that.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 19:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
That only works if you can class friendly troops as obstacles, and as far as I've seen, nothing in the rules says your own troops as obstacles. The BGB (thats what we call the rulebook for short) only gives skimmers the ability to jump over enemy troops, so just stick with that.
Yes, youīre right. Iīd meditated the matter, Iīd posted the question basically because here are by far the best Tau forums and because in a game last weekend this issue came out. I will stick to my old style: Skimmers can move over any obstacle and when making a tank shock they descend so theyīre able to do so, and because of this, there must not be friendly units blocking the path for the tank (in other words: they cannot dive from above, hovering over other units to inflict a tank shock...) otherwise they can hover over enemy units...

but... one question remains, can you move over friendly units with skimmers?
Old 07 Jan 2008, 19:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've always played them that you can. Jump troops can move over friendly infantry, so why can't skimmers. The line in the tank shock entry seems more directed at non-skimmers wanting to move vehicles. It makes you think about deployment, so you don't entrap your own men.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 19:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpori Ebatoi
You don't, perchance, mean my old article?
[/shameless plug]

As for the original question, Doombringer's spot on as far as the rules go.
Exactly. Youīre very creative, keep on development buddy!