Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Opponents hating Tau
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2008, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Opponents hating Tau

So I play a Hybrid list (Railheads, Sniper Teams, 7 Suits including a commander, Kroot, Firewarriors, and Devilfish) and I regularly get complaints from opponents about playing against Tau. In the last 3 games I've played, I've destroyed Khorne and Eldar armies with almost zero losses and had a Nidzilla opponent call a game due to the imminent loss of his last Synapse creatures. The Eldar player is a regular opponent of mine, but the Nidzilla and Khorne players both complained that the Tau were cheap and fighting them was boring.

My worry here is not if they were being sore losers or not, but whether they have a legitimate point. I play my list as smart as I tactically am able and in a fashion which I think reflects how the Tau would actually fight. I, personally, find the Tau to be the most balanced army in 40k and the most difficult to cheese. Tau aren't the fastest, toughest, or most heavily armed. We don't have deepstriking Armor 14 units, ludicrous infinite-range psychic powers (Fury of the Ancients? What idiot came up with that?), or stackable negative modifiers to all Leadership tests (hey look, three Synapse 'nids with Psychic Scream and 20 hormaguants to assault with. Say goodbye to the field of battle!).

I know the Tau aren't unbeatable by any means, but virtually all of the opponents I encounter rely on abusing army traits over thinking their games out. What bothers me about this is when I then play these people, they get bored and pissed off at the game. I play to win, but I want my opponents to enjoy the game because, you know, it's a game.

What I'm getting at here is this: is the problem with the Tau army is that the army makes you fight smart against opponents that regularly don't or whether people truly feel that the army is, in fact, broken?

I ask this because I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and make my army more beatable or if that would be pointless because I would still be trying to fight smart against opponents accustomed to exploiting rules to win.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 02:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Opponents hating Tau

Keep this thought to yourself: Dont feel that you have to dumb yourself down to make a good game for your opponent.

Then, share this thought with your opponents: "You wouldnt fight Orks the way you would fight Space Marines, right? So dont think of Tau as Ork or Space Marines either. There is another way to fight in order to battle Tau, which is different from facing other races. This variety is what keeps things interesting, and if you fight Tau as if they are Space Marines, then yes, you are going to face problems."
Old 07 Jan 2008, 05:27   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't think Tau are a particularly strong army list. But because they rely on a certain play styles to be successful, they can be frustrating for some people to play against. Against Static Tau, you can not rely on a reactionary play-style unless you are Imperial Guard. Against Mech Tau, you can not reliably set the pace of the game unless you are Dark Eldar. For Space Marines and regular Eldar who are used to being able to use certain strategies, this can be a hard concept to grasp.

So I think your opponents need to stop whining and do some research on how to deal with different types of army. If they are losing to you, it is not because the army list itself is too strong.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 11:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think Tau is the only army where you now it is just people being ungracious losers that is making them annoyed: we, as you said, have no uber units, and aren't even faintly broken.

Don't feel sorry for yourself, feel sorry for your opponents that they can't accept a loss.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Old 07 Jan 2008, 12:57   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Agreed, Tau are the least broken army out there. Thats not to say they cannot be tough to play against, but even a meched up army can be beaten.

The problem most people seem to have is that it actually takes a shred of intelligence to beat them, which is why they moan :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, there is a legitimate point to the anti-Tau whining. It isn't that the list is broken though, its a question of design.

Tau lists embody the proper (real world) philosophy of combat, inflict damage while receiving none. Nobody else in the 40k universe does this, just the Tau.

Well, there's a reason for that, it makes for a bad game. If the Tau's gimmick works properly the opponent's contribution to the game is rolling armor saves. The suits JSJ or fire rail gun blasts from beyond return fire range. The skimmers fire SMS and soak up return fire with armor 12, only unloading the FW for a devastating local fire superiority. If the Tau's gimmick fails they get owned. All of their models are too expensive (points-wise) for a straight firefight.

This isn't to say that your opponents are right, it sounds like they are just poor losers, but there exists a valid grievance to the Tau Empire codex.

Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Good point and you gave me an argument ( and yourself )

The tau army does not rely heavily on traits or special rules. The only weird special rule we got is JSJ And thats not an invinceble one as well.

Just tell your opponents that! On the other hand to keep the game fun try playing less hard. I do that frequently! When I just blew up 2 landraiders and I got 2 more targets I tend to pick the least powerfull one to give my opponent something to play with. I play for fun. A fun game to me is where we both have a good time.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

40kenthusiast has a point there.

While the Tau are not broken, their tactics are not that "fun" oriented as the tactics of most armies. After all, Guerilla warfare isn`t as fun as storming into CC with large cleavers, yelling "Blood for the Blood God!" at the top of your voice....
Old 07 Jan 2008, 13:58   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBonesaw
40kenthusiast has a point there.

While the Tau are not broken, their tactics are not that "fun" oriented as the tactics of most armies. After all, Guerilla warfare isn`t as fun as storming into CC with large cleavers, yelling "Blood for the Blood God!" at the top of your voice....
Dunno, I find it rather sad really that the main warfare tactic 40000 years into the future involves hitting people over the head with a hedge pruner :

I love the fact that Tau fight properly, its what attracted me too them in the first place (added the fact that for years playing RTS games, I was always loathe to take casualties - pulling units that got shot up out, and using massive ariel strikes to negate opponents defences before rolling in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think Cyberzomby is right: Tau aren't broken, you seem to be slightly unlucky with your opponents, just make sure you aren't merciless, and you'll be fine.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Closed Thread