Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I can't handle broadsides.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 10:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I can't handle broadsides.

Everytime I field any broadsides they either die from instant death weapons before I get to shoot with them or they never hit or wound anything. (then they die). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
moomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 10:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: I can't handle broadsides.

Give them the A.S.S so they can move and shoot, deploy them behind cover, when its your turn move them out then blast away. once their out in the open though their vulnerable, You could also promote one to a shas'vre, give him a HW drone controller and put a few shield drones in the unit.

About hitting and wounding, its just unlucky dice rolls, The alternative to the A.S.S is a targeting array but that means you can't deploy them behind cover, and only the shield drones are protecting them. and wounding, its got the highest strength possible in the game, can't really complain there can we...

Hope that helps your broadsides to kick some tank ass
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 10:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You need to explain what is going wrong. I field them with two A.S.S suits, and a team leader with two shield drones. I've never lost them to shooting, but have had them killed by fast units with power weapons. I use them exactly like Vendak; hide them first turn, then walk out from behind cover to get your target in sight. Try not to just stick them in the open, to be targeted by every enemy weapon. Minimize return fire by only have LOS to your target. If you are missing, you can add markerlights to your list. You are re rolling their missed shots, due to the twin linked rail guns right?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 15:24   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
You need to explain what is going wrong. I field them with two A.S.S suits, and a team leader with two shield drones.
you can only take 1 A.S.S as its special issue
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 15:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno
Quote:
You need to explain what is going wrong. I field them with two A.S.S suits, and a team leader with two shield drones.

Erm, no it's not..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 15:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno
Quote:

Erm, no it's not..
You are actually forced to take multiple if you have a team of Broadsides. In other words if one model in a Broadside team takes it, then all the models in the Broadside team have to take it.

I agree with the basic suggestions of start out of sight, use A.S.S. to move out and fire, and have a shield drone or two with you to protect from 1 or 2 insta-death shots.
Rudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 15:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

It's not a 'special issue item'
It's a common item in the battlesuit support systems, even crisis suits can take it they like, heh, even stealth suits!

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The A.S.S is about as special issue as a pulse rifle...
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Gotta love that.....oh..yeah the stabilization system. Yeah, that's good too.

Thing about Broadsides. They're only T4. Krak Missiles -would- be a problem, if not for the 2+ save. Tau'va!
Their only real problem, shooting wise, are Space Marine Dev squads. With Lascannons. See, Broadsides are meant to take out tanks, and only tanks. A Lascannon-toting Dev squad can lay waste to anything from the heaviest of tanks to the heaviest of Infantry...Terminators, Nob Mobs, and our Broadsides. So really, Broadsides can't put out much return fire vs the Marines that wouldn't be useful elsewhere, meanwhile they're perfectly content to wipe out our suits with ease, as each one costs about as much as a light tank.

A.S.S, Shas'vre w/ 2 Shield Drones, and good placement of the team (not in the open) are key to their survival.

-on a side note, Sniper teams compliment the Broadsides glaring weakness vs Dev squads, they have AP3 w/ Pinning. Marines can't line up that kill shot w/ their lascannon if they're too afraid to stand up and aim!

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 03:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The stabilizers are almost mandatory for broadsides. The railguns are deadly, with a long sight-line, but your opponents know this so they will try to hide from them. A broadside team with stabilizers is much harder to hide from.

Broadsides are wonderful units: respected and feared... and of course, shot at. They're tough, but you need cover and/or shield drones to keep them alive, and a kroot screen in front to prevent assaults helps quite a bit too.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote