Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Project Tau: Article 4: Tau Lexicon
Old 03 Jan 2008, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Project Tau: Article 4: Tau Lexicon

Thank you Timjim- photoshop master and guy i owe a drink.

This is Article 4: Tau lexicon

let me know what you think:

Project Tau - SaveFile.com project

if that doesn't work let me know.

fixed the tab - Wargamer
Old 03 Jan 2008, 16:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Project Tau: Article 4: Tau Lexicon

work?
Old 03 Jan 2008, 16:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Seems to be working for me :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

It's 'fann, not 'faan.

Excellent as always Calmsword. Eagerly awaiting more. ;D

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 20:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks Doombringer- i'll make the change. I was hoping this would be the most used tool by fluff writers as it is a whole compilation of almost every Lexicon out there.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Yeah, there are a couple more that can be included in there, but overall it's pretty good.

I noticed you forgot the Tau'kon'seh festival - the every kai'rotaa-held festival at the end of the 'month' where Tau of all Castes show up to the battledome to watch up-and-coming Shas'ui hunt clonebeasts.

Afterwards, there is a great feast and the clonebeasts are butchered in the abattoir districts, prepared, and served to the Tau. There might be a little more description in Fire Warrior, but I'm not positive at the moment.

I also noticed the absence of 'Shas'ken'to' in the Lexicon/Culture section (wherever it is applicable). The Shas'ken'to "Principles of Combat" are basically every Fire Warrior's "Uplifting Primer" - tenets of combat that all Tau must adhere to and filled to the brim with Sio't meditations regarding combat situations.

There are a few more, but I won't bore you with relatively unimportant nit-picks.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 03 Jan 2008, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Can I have a milkshake instead of that drink?

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 02:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As far as the small section on the Lissera rituals go, there is an example in the codex stating that other castes perform the Ta'Lissera as well, including Earth Caste Build Teams as an example. You stated that as far as you knew, the Shas were the only who engaged in the Ta'Lissera.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 20:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

really? I don't recall that- are you sure it wasn't the part where i mention they are the only ones known to commit ritual scarification during the ritual? I'll go back but i'm sure that's what i meant (otherwise the blunder is a huge one and i'll fix it right away)

Thanks Doombringer- i read the Firewarrior book and, you know, I've never seen a reference to the eating of the clonebeast- but i don't have a copy here, could you look that up?

I'll add both the 'primer' and the festival as well as fix the grammar of Faan.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 20:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sure thing.

Here's a post where we had this discussion before, Calmsword.

While Fire Warrior doesn't make any explicit statements regarding the Tau actually eating the clonebeast itself, it does mention that the hunted animals are sent to the Fio'toros'tai to be butchered for meat and that following the Tau'kon'seh is an inter-caste feast (where I'd assume the clonebeasts are consumed).

To reiterate, the Fio'toros'tai is an Abattoir District on T'au.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com - Abattoir
1 A slaughterhouse.
2 Something likened to a slaughterhous
That is to say, there is an entire district of slaughterhouses on a primarily Tau-inhabited planet. Given that we know Tau do eat meat (Tau fisheries were destroying on some planet during the Damocles Gulf Crusade), it isn't a huge leap of logic to assume clonebeasts are simply genetically-altered preybeasts with additional nutritional content bred into them.

I would not be surprised if or opposed to a Tau's meat intake being severely reduced compared to other races like humans, but I'd just like to add that it seems unlikely that they (especially the Hunter Caste) are strict vegetarians. Besides, it seems very un-Tauish, from a highly wasteful point of view, for the hunted clonebeast not to be utilized in some way, and why wouldn't a traditional hunter want to eat his prey?

---

Regarding the Ta'lissera rituals, I agree with Calmsword that ritual scarification is likely a Shas-only tradition, while the Ta'lissera as a whole can be celebrated by Tau of any Caste.

That and the ritual duels that sometimes take place between Shas of opposing Septs/Academies that sometimes end in death (ref. Kill Team) are likely a Fire-Caste-only tradition.

Doombringer