Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need some Help With Chaos SM
Old 01 Jan 2008, 05:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need some Help With Chaos SM

my brother is starting a CSM army. we are looking for 1k point battle in the next few weeks. I am looking for help in making an army and tactics.

WHat I Have Now:

3- XV8's
6- Stealth Suits
12- FW
1- Convertable Fish, HH, or SkyRay
16- Kroot

these are what I have so far. Money isn't an issue, i may not use these all but i need to figure out what I need to buy. I want a static hard hitting army. From what I've read CSM are tough to knock down. All Help would be appreciated.
Old 01 Jan 2008, 06:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Need some Help With Chaos SM

I would say buy a broadside or two and sniper drones, arm the hammerhead with an ion cannon, arm your xv8's with plasma.

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2008, 08:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

XV-8s: TL Plasma and Drones.
Sniper Teams are good to lay the hurt and can pin; though if hes using Cult Marines, they're fearless.
Kroot, you need more Kroot. I'd say one or two squads of 15. I'd look into Kroot Hounds also, they're fantastic.
A Hammerheadw/ Ion Cannon is good for killing marines also.
Stealths, give them the two Fusion Blasters. They'll help vs tanks, g.Daemons, and high toughness units (of which there are many).

You probably won't be able to use all of that, it's roughly 1250 if you were to point it out...but yeah, use those that work well with your army.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2008, 15:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A proper answer here really depends on what your enemy will be fielding. Normally I would say to arm the HH with Ion. However, if your enemy will be fielding a land raider then you will need to take it with the railgun or get yourself a couple of broadsides (highly recommended in any case). Also, previous posts concerning the use of sniper drones should be well received, they are good marine killers. However I do not agree with the use of kroot, I loathe them in any sense. If there is no land raider involved then use T/L plasma on the xv-8s and Ion on the HH. Personally, my MEQ killer list will include three sniper teams, one team of 3 broadsides, and one Ion head. Plasma equiped suits and then whatever else you want to throw in. Piranhas can be good rhino/dreadnought/landraider hunters also. If they throw firepower at them that means that they are ignoring other high threats, and if they don't well, the piranha meltas will burn through most things at close range. Especially with a targeting array and pathfinder support. Once the vehilces are down they can then go hunting terminators. Just my thoughts.
Old 01 Jan 2008, 23:28   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks, this kind of info is what I need to make sure the greater good will win. i have never faced a Chaos SM opponent yet. i've played the tyranids and necrons.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 03:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well chaos

Since their new codex

you never know what you will face.but heres a good thing to know.

most of the chaos troops have specialties, but are often expensive because of it.

Noise marines shoot
Thousand sons shoot
Nurgle melee
Khorne melee

Chaos space marines on the other hand are like normal marines, they can be fitted with plasma weapons, power weapons, or if they have 10 guys a heavy weapon.

They have icons which make them either annoying or more suited to a task.

Khorne icons add another attack
Slaanesh makes them faster
nurgle lets them endure
tzeentch gives them a 5+ inv
and my favorite icon of chaos glory is a reroll on morale.

but sometimes this isnt what scares the tau, as these guys can be put down.

Sometimes what you should be worried about, are bikers, daemon princes with wings, raptors. These guys can outpace you quickly.

If you dont face anything that flys, or rides really fast. look out for rhinos, destroy them at all cost.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 07:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Slaaneshi characters and units aren't all that scary to Tau. The Noise Marines can put out a heavy amt. of firepower, but aren't able to take it any better than a Loyalist. Only benefit they've got is they're Fearless. The sorceror's are tricky, as they can use Lash of Submission, and pull your units closer to them, with nothing you can do about it!!

Thats about as dangerous as Slaanesh gets though, they get Init +1 but that means nothing vs Tau anyway, as they were going to go first in combat to begin with.

Khorne is just as dangerous as any other CC army, and should be treated as such. If a squad of yours gets charged by Khornate marines, it's the same thing as them getting charged by Orks, Loyalists, Tyranids, hell even Guard.

Nurgle is hard as nails to kill, but at least we've got the upper hand in having STR 5 weapons on our side. Still, that's only a 4+ to wound. And then they've got power armor to help. Not to mention Plague Marines of the Death Guard have Feel No Pain >_< Take them on in concentrated fire, eliminate whole squads before moving onto the next, that's the only way to do it.

Tzeentch units have a resistance to your low AP weapons like plasma (invul save on every man), and can throw back enough firepower to incinerate your precious XV-8's with sorcerous goodness. Seriously, watch out for the AP3.

Bikers. Very tough customers as they can move fast. Engage with Kroot, since after the initial charge, the bikers lose momentum and aren't a threat. Tie them up with big squads of Kroot, I'd say 15, and you'll be fine.

Daemons....no one uses them. **** you Games Workshop for ruining that.

The Greater Daemon is hard, as you probably won't have a chance to shoot at it. Watch out for delivery units like Rhinos,Raptors,and Bikers, they're going to run up as far as they can before dropping the Daemon. Slow them with Kroot or obliterate them entirely.

As for Defilers, you can laugh at them w/ Deathrains, its only armor 12 and can't take anything in the way of Vehicle Wargear. Again, **** you Games Workshop. Just don't get cocky and leave your suits out in the open for that Battle Cannon, it's not messing around.

Against Chaos, I'd say a variation of the Kauyon technique would do best. Just be sure to have a good bait unit selected, and plenty of Kroot to support your lines.

Old 02 Jan 2008, 07:33   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i saw 2 rhino's, Khorne, and some regular troops. possibly beserkers too.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 07:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You're in luck, then. Khorne is probably the easiest to dispatch, as you won't be getting much return fire. That gives you turns to destroy Rhinos and whittle down squads with delicious plasma, before your Kroot can move in to finish the job.

You ought to be just fine

Old 02 Jan 2008, 19:26   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what should my target priorities be?