Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Incomming Orks
Old 30 Dec 2007, 18:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Incomming Orks

I faced off against my friends Orks not long ago and it was a perfect example of the Tau Doctrine. My Deathrains showered his light vehicles with missiles, forcing the Orks to walk it, and my Broadsides and Hammerhead targeted his Battlewagon, damaging it and then destroying it, forcing the 400pt unit inside to walk into my guns and Kroot as well.

But now they're back. And it looks like they've learned.

The new army I'm facing looks a lot harder for me to crack. The weak vehicles are gone, replaced by Battlewagons. The large clouds of dust also indicate there may or may not be Nob bikers coming my way. With a Painboy.

Armor 14 vehicles for under 100 points, 3 of them. Bikers with T5, and Feel No Pain. Also, two wounds.

It's not as fast as the previous army, as he's traded in speed for staying power. My Broadsides will be rendered useless, as I need to deploy them first, and they're essentially static. My Hammerhead is the only mobile STR10 in the army, and I fear that it won't be enough to stop the rolling armor 14 death nearing my lines.

There's a large mob of boyz to make me think twice about where is safe to put my Kroot, and those bikes.....I've got no idea how I could take them down, save for Railguns, or maybe Fusion Blasters.

What can I do? Respond before it's too late, the Green Tide approaches ; ;

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 18:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Incomming Orks

I don't think they've gotten any harder to beat, remember that those battle wagons have side armour, and there open topped,

we still have all our weapons, railguns, smart missile systems etc, they can still be beaten.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 18:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Besides the Earth Caste did build for us those cool Advanced stabilisation system.

Now here a few piranha with fusion or some seeker missile (either mounted on your hammerhead or 'fish) or a good Skyray (which you could convert into a hammerhead easily.

Other then that I could see the use of having a metric ton of markerlight

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 19:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

I'm sure there are those far better suited to this sort of thing (i.e. critical analysis) than myself. My gut reaction is to suggest an Heavy Support choice of loosely:

- 1 Hammerhead
- 1 Skyray
- 1 3 Man (A.S.S) Broadside team

By the sounds of it, you played a very static force, clear deployment, concise 'kill zones', well structured yet ultimately static.

If he's proving mobile, resilient and quick enough to get to you before you can resoundingly 'get him', then you may wish to modify your plans somewhat.

Deathrains in this case would need to be played significantly more aggressively. Actively advancing down the sides of the table, being prepared to get 'into the thick of things' in an effort to get off good shots. Use troops like Fire Warriors and Kroot to divert/attract his assaults, make your 'fighting forces' be very spread. The things you need to do damage shouldn't be easily neutrable targets. If he wants to take down your broadsides, he'll have to expose that force to deathrains and the skyray. If he wants a pop at your skyray or deathrains, there'd better be a hammerhead waiting in the wings. If he tries to go at all of them, you'd best have Firewarriors and Kroot in the road to make it difficult!

Markerlights, of course, will make this alot easier and faster. but similarly they'll eat into your points. A couple of smaller and more scattered firewarriors/kroot squads might be neccessary speed-bumps to ensure that flanks/approaches to your heavier guns are defended.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Beware the new Stormboyz, and the Ramshackle trucks. The new Warboss on Bike w/Pklaw and Attack Squig comes in cheap and 'ard. The Lootas, in particular, spell death for Tau skimmers. Snikrot's a right pain in the rear.

Ppass out the ammunition and brace yourself. The Waaargh is coming.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 15:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

But remember it's not the army.. it's the player you have to worry about

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2007, 15:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor
A couple of smaller and more scattered firewarriors/kroot squads might be neccessary speed-bumps to ensure that flanks/approaches to your heavier guns are defended.
being ork, I would appreciate this tactics. Firewarriors that arent bulk arent really scary in their "red zone". Hence, you place them, the orks get an opportunity to clear 6" charge distance too. Having them dead, the ork can possibly run up to d6 more in consolidation, essentially providing him with an 18" move, in stead of a 6" move...

Dont provide small squads for protection. They provide nothing more than meat, and something to count up those extra charge 6" to. Use small amounts of meat for protection, and youre bound to play his game... Remember, its not a speed bump unless they actually hinder the orks more than a turn. With 64 S4 attacks, you wont hit back, and all your guys will be dead. Even worse if you survive his assault, you will get creamed in your own assault phase, and he will consolidate d6 nearer you in your turn, after you have even shot. He may then possibly charge you again next turn.

Stop him. Crash him. Dont "speed bump" him...
Old 31 Dec 2007, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

In order to add a few cents to the thread, I'd recommend that if you *did* try for a "speedbump" style of squad, it still needs to be:

1) Large.
2) Be in cover! (VERY Recommended!)
3) Possess Photon Grenades (Recommended, at least!).
4) Have a sizeable unit of Kroot nearby, to counterattack.

It's still going to be an unpleasant experience, but with a bit of luck and a healthy counterstrike, the Space Gubbinz won't tie you down more than a turn or so.

Good hunting!
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2008, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

[quote=Esque]

I thought Orks are S3, unless you're talking about their guns...
Old 01 Jan 2008, 17:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

In the new codex which is out now they get furious charge and a waaagh (1 fleet of foot move in a game) - plus they count as fearless when there are more than 12 of them...