Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aftermath of Medusa- part of the campaign package
Old 29 Dec 2007, 19:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Aftermath of Medusa- part of the campaign package

alright,

So i'm getting ready to start developing a series of Campaign PDF packages in the interim between Galgotha and the next campaign. I would like them to be based on recent events which mean Medusa, which also means it has to be near Tau space.

Just so you know, Tau forces will be in retreat, Shadowsun in mourning for her dead sister, a vengeful and victoriously imperium... so- what kind of things would you guys like to see?
Old 29 Dec 2007, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Aftermath of Medusa- part of the campaign package

I've been meaning to ask you this for a while: why are you of the opinion that the Tau suffered a grievous loss on Medusa? It wasn't an amazing success, but it gleaned valuable information about the Warp and about other races.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

It appears to be a matter of perspective.

On one hand, we learned alot. It was a great cost, but we learned alot.

On the other hand, it cost alot.

How to incorporate it

The Tau managed to escape Medusa V with their information, and presumably got most of it back to the Tau Empire in good measure. But did they get the entire fleet back too?

Do it exactly like that. The next Tau Online campaign should simply be following the 'evacuation fleets' and their return to Tau space. If we assert that Medusa was a good distance from the Tau Empire, and that whilst the Messenger Starships converying the information raced back (in super-duper multiples so that the data wasn't lost), the scientists who survived mightn't have gotten back yet. Valuable human insights might still be lost. Ideas and such.

Furthermore, by my own hand, the Tau Empire had a sizeable fleet invested in shifting the forces that were there. I always predicted a fighting fleet of ~3000pts Battlefleet Gothic starships in addition to additional supply ships/Messengers and lesser transports.

For my own results (which are the only 'big' Medusa V BFG battles involving Tau that I heard of), I posited that the Kroot Warsphere with the fleet was destroyed in orbitof Medusa V in conflict with the orbitting Chaos Fleet (by this point BF Medusa V itself had been smashed sideways by the massive incoming Tau Fleet in orbit of Medusa VI).

Suffice, I think a campaign charting the Return from Medusa V would be exciting, characterful and 'small' enough to be really interesting.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

And, despite focusing largely on the Tau, it is entirely feasible for any other faction to be involved, since everyone else was already at Medusa V. Sounds good to me.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 20:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

agreed-

My opinion is that whilst much was learned, many were lost (i put reasonable casualties in the high thousands) meanwhile there was little BFG throughout the campaign with the battles that i recorded into the Universal Database making almost every Tau space battle a win (honestly i think maybe there were only 5 losses).

The Tau would be in retreat because they were never there to claim the world (and the imperials won- by deduction they would be eager to get the Tau out of their space) in addition, Medusa is well outside the Third Sphere territory.) I don't mean to make it sound too grievous, but it was enough to send us packing.

Old 29 Dec 2007, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Err...The Golgotha Insurgency Campaign was a historical campaign occurring between 873.M41 and 877.M41. It doesn't correlate with Medusa V which I consider to be 006.M42. I thought that would be important to add.

Currently the next Tau Online Campaign doesn't have a set date in the Warhammer universe. This will be decided when we finalise a background story line which will occur after we have built the planetary system and objectives/areas.

I thought that would be important to note. However noting this thread we may endeavour to tie the links together . Particularly with the Community Mini Campaigns you are putting together Calmsword.

[hr]

I see Medusa as a successful failure. Basically stuff was learned. The objective was achieved, but at a large cost. I feel that Calmswords estimates of thousands is apt considering the scale of Medusa V.

(But then I think that an average Tau force for a planet is just a couple hundred thousand anyhow).

Hence I think we can consider it as the final result given. The Tau learnt something about the warp. However as it had no strategic value (just as it didn't to anybody else) it is a rather minor event even in 40k history.

I don't think it harmed the Tau Empire in any way, I don't think that the Tau Populace cared much either. It was a 'clandestine' campaign far from Tau space for a reason. A bit like the bombing of the Turpitz during WW2 it helped Britain (the Tau Empire) but isn't crucial in the long run.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 21:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tau learning of the warp is rather a major thing. That means that they have some more understanding of the warp technology so they may develop it seperatly from thee other races.

Tau gaining warp technology is rather a big thing...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioner
Tau learning of the warp is rather a major thing. That means that they have some more understanding of the warp technology so they may develop it seperatly from thee other races.

Tau gaining warp technology is rather a big thing...
But they didn't they learnt enough. Instead the Aun went; "Whoa! We're not touching this *fences off the warp with Da'ulnak on a stick*"

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Actually, IIRC, at the request of the Ethereals, who have deemed the Immaterium entirely too unstable and dangerous to warrant the loss of Tau lives in continued research of it, the Tau have given up their attempts at understanding the warp after the events that transpired on Medusa V.

Didn't something like that occur in the last Status Report?

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 22:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes it was- study is no longer going to be made, that the warp is too dangerous and inhospitable for the greater good.

The numbers are actually interesting. There must have been somewhere close to 100,000-200,000 Tau on Medusa with smaller numbers of auxiliary troops. I would say that a third of those numbers are dead- sounds about right?

Despite these numbers there would still be only one Coalition and one Shas'Ar'Tol with Shadowsun as its leader (although she has probably gone ahead of the Fleet). That means that the leaders during the campaign would remain in the fleet (which would be about... maybe 10,000 points of BFG- i'll come up with a fleet list)

do those numbers sound realistic?