Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I just ordered 6 blisters of Kroot hounds... am I nuts?
Old 28 Dec 2007, 10:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default I just ordered 6 blisters of Kroot hounds... am I nuts?

Most people have seen the gun heavy 1500pt core tau cadre I've been building in the army list section or the showcase, and i'm expanding to 2000pt with some kroot.

Being Au'taal and considered lazy by the other septs, I decided to reinforce the belief and get some auxilaries in to do the hard work while my tau put their feet up... er I mean supervise.

My plan is to add an Ethereal (purely because its the Ltd Edt. army box one that was a gift from a friend) 20 kroot, 12 hounds, then add in shield drones to HQs. Oh and I want to make a unit of FW honour guard for the Ethereal. BS4 is just too good to miss for a shas ui with markerlight and target lock and the other 9 shas la can then shoot different targets.

Felt kinda weird spending £32.40 on 12 models that cost 72pts. Am I nuts? lol

Anyone else field units for fluff reasons, or because they were gifts even though they're naff?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog
Default Re: I just ordered 6 blisters of Kroot hounds... am I nuts?

I use Vespids in 1500 points. Fluff is the only reason anyone would field them!

Also, yesterday I spent AUD$100 (around 35 pounds) on four Wraithguard. You're not nuts :
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Nothing wrong with kroot hounds

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

2 attacks, str4 and initiative 5 is very cool indeed. Plus I can use normal kroot as ablative wounds to guarantee all the hounds make it into combat. Plus they infiltrate, so I can shove them all in a wood to guarantee they use their fieldcraft rules.

Units of Kroot and hounds are awesome.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I personally spend not sure how much for:
2 shapers
40 kroots (20 left to glue)
12 hounds
3 krootox (and bits (mainly heads but some ripper) for trophies)

So, No you are not nuts for spending all this money on them...besides a fluffy army is more fun.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe not nuts, but broke... The only problem I see with them is that they're one less Kroot in the squad that's shooting. That's just me though.

Although I do resent the comment about the Vespid. Theoretically they ought to do well be sticking to cover and generally out-flying anything they don't want to be charged by. Of course, this is speculation as I haven't used them yet (I'm playing my first game with my new Vespid tomorrow).

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 16:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Vespid are not useless, just very situational.* You'll definitely want Markerlight support for them, that's what really makes them shine.* They are ideal for firebase support, where they can jump out in front of armoured assaulters and spray them with AP death.

Hounds are great, but you will want to exercise moderation with them; although, since you already only have 20 Kroot, using a lot of them won't hurt you much.* I suggest as others have to me that you split up the large squad into two smaller squads, so that you can flank, split your fire, and counter-infiltrate more effectively, among other things that I can't think of right now.* Use two squads of ten Carnivores each with 6 Hounds and you will be set. Only attach a Shaper if you have serious points to waste, which won't happen really until 2000+, at least in my experience.

I myself ordered exactly 6 blisters of Hounds not long ago, to add to the 4 Hounds I already had; I now have 16 total, plus 26 Carnivores, so I would say you are not crazy. I play Au'taal also, but my fluff is different. Wow...we have a lot in common! Heh.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 18:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well speak to any Kroot Merc player... and they'll tell you you're not crazy! I myself bought 14 blisters...

From a Tau perspective, if you use your Kroot aggressively they can be a great unit. With a nice infiltration and a lot of hounds, even marines will question their movement! They also add bodies to large squads and can be used as meatshields. Threat them like they were 6 point extra wounds that make a unit that much harder to break...

Oh and I've seen the great modelling work you've done and there's probably no need to tell you that the hound poses are a bit stale. I'm sure you can convert up something nice.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

You're nuts.

The Kroot Hound model comes in what, 3 poses? For all my Hounds (roughly 20) I used regular Kroot models. I did some conversion work to make them look hunched, and then I chopped the hands and replaced them with Scything Talons from the Genestealer and Hormagaunt sprues. I figure they're just Kroot who were hunting Nids for a little too long and started to degenerate.

But hey thats just me being cheap. If you really like the hound models you're not nuts at all, I'm just not a fan.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 02:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Their are 4 kroot hound models.

Nuts? I don't think so, kroot hounds are worth it IMO. Now I own and use kroot-ox, I think that makes me crazier then you :P.