Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

where to put drone
Old 28 Dec 2007, 07:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default where to put drone

i have made a 500p list where i have 2 crisis and 1 commander fireknives 18 9 / 9 firewarriors all rifle. and a sniper team.

i have 34 points left and i could add 3 fire warriors or 2 shield drones to my commander and then join the commander to the crisis team. which would work out best? my crisis are tho only i have for tank kill.
necrotic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 08:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: where to put drone

I'd have two more fire warriors, and then upgrade one in each squad to be a teamleader, even numbers are better ^_^

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 08:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

I could barely read that. Please make your writing a little easier to read.

I wouldn't give your commander shield drones because he has IC status and shield drones take that away. What are your crisis suits armed with? I think you are saying that they are fireknives, but I am not sure. If they are then I would recommend changing at least one of them to something else.
Since Missile pods aren't very good at taking out heavy armor and though you could ignore any heavy armor your opponent has, I would take something to kill it just in case you really need to.
As for firewarriors, in general the more the merrier.
In your situation I would add one firewarrior to each squad to make them even numbers (better for leadership), and the rest of your extra points would cover changing one of the crisis suit's weapons.
I don't have a lot of 40k experience though, so before you change your list I would recommend getting a second opinion.

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Viorlakaisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 08:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I could make the fire warriors 10/6. the 10 have a shas'ui.
Give the crisis a team leader and 2 shield drones .
Then when i got my turn i join the commander to the crisis team.

if my opponent starts out in turn 1, how big chance is it that my commander dies if they got 1 ap1/2 weapon that fires first round at me? a viper with brightlance for instance.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 08:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntas

I wouldn't give your commander shield drones because he has IC status and shield drones take that away.
Erm.. thats not true

Quote:
Since Missile pods aren't very good at taking out heavy armor and though you could ignore any heavy armor your opponent has,
And what... they're strength seven.. there one of the best weapons tau have in my opinion, the most likely armour you'll come up against is a predator, which is front armour thirteen, glance on a six.. but wait.. it has side armour eleven, glance on a four,
ok against a leman russ.. you aren't gonna touch front armour, but you can still hit side but i doubt you'll come across anything that heavy in 500pts

And with what your suggesting, he's have 14 pts left.. enough for one missile pod..

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrotic97

if my opponent starts out in turn 1, how big chance is it that my commander dies if they got 1 ap1/2 weapon that fires first round at me? a viper with brightlance for instance.
Well if your gonna leave your commander out in open on first turn.. then sorry but he deserves to get that bright lance where the sun doesn't shine lol
He doesn't need a squad, he's an ic, he just sits next to a squad taunting the enemy because they can't target him

Old 28 Dec 2007, 09:57   #6 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Quote:

I wouldn't give your commander shield drones because he has IC status and shield drones take that away.
Erm.. thats not true
Actually it is. If he takes drones he counts as a squad for targetting purposes, but he and his drones can still join or leave a squad as if the whole unit was an IC.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 10:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

So what your saying is he becomes a unit if he has a drone, does that also mean he counts as a scoring unit?

i just read it, it says him and drone become unit.. as in they stay together, a character is a unit by himself, with or without a drone, doesn't say that he loses his independent character privileges for targeting etc

Old 28 Dec 2007, 16:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if i put 1 shield drone in the commander and 1 in the crisis they will both go safe turn1 (maybe not, if the enemy is too strong) i join the commader to the crisis team and the crisis/commader will be 2 crisis 1 commander 2 shield drones then?

will that work?

then i have to choose between devilfsh or sniper and 1 fire warrior.

i coud also buy a firewarrior squad or a hammerhead to give me more / infatery or a anti medium infatery tank (submuntion rail) or is it to costy?

Old 28 Dec 2007, 20:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

I didn't say missile pods weren't good, I said I don't like using them to take out heavy armor. For anti-armor purposes I like to take fusion blasters.

Quote:
When you deploy your commander make sure that another unit is between him and your enemy. Since he is an independent character he can't be targeted unless he is the closest unit. This is the best protection he can get, much better than a shield drone which can die.

Quote:
i coud also buy a firewarrior squad or a hammerhead to give me more / infatery or a anti medium infatery tank (submuntion rail) or is it to costy?
Are you making a static, hybrid or mech list? If your going static I would buy more firewarriors. If your going hybrid I would buy a hammerhead, and maybe change one of your suits weapons to deal with hordes a little better. And if your going mech I would get either a hammerhead or a devilfish.
Also if you don't have a hammerhead or devilfish yet, and plan on buying one, get a skyray. Skyrays come with everything you need to build the hammerhead, devilfish and skyray.

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Viorlakaisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 05:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have a "Commander Deathwish" who I always field with a shield drone or 2. It makes him targetable, but his job is to deepstrike next to something nasty with 2+ armor, get to within 12" of it, and hopefully take 3 wounds away from it. At that range he's likely to be the closest unit anyway, and the shield drone will let him survive a shot from (for example) the Eldar Avatar's melta-sword.

And yes, in most games he does get his wish at some point!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote