Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Creative help needed with 1500 point list.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 17:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Creative help needed with 1500 point list.

I would love to see what you guys would do with the following minis. I had a pretty cool army in mind, but Christmas was very good to me and I'm heading in a different direction.
Here's what is available:
12 XV8s with parts for two broadsides. I could order more broadside parts if needed, but 12 suits is the max available to me.
12 fire warriors; I can buy another box of them or a box of kroot based on what I learn from this post.
2 marker drones, and about 24 gun drones.
12 XV15s, and 6 XV25s.
I have several ideas, but thought it would be a shame not to tap into the tau online comunity for inspiration.
Chaos and loyal marines are my most common adversaries.
We play tons of city fight or other dense terrain.
I expect to see more orks in the near future with the release of the new dex and minis. I play 1500 points most of the time, but feel free to include a 2000 point list if you want to.
Thanks for sharing your Ideas.

I'm not gettign many replies so Maybe I need to clarify.
Here's one of the ideas I'm considdering.
2 full hq squads, 3x2 broadsides, 3X6 stealths, 3 squads of 8 FW, 3x8 gun drones. That is about 2000 points. Mix and match for 1500. or......
Old 28 Dec 2007, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Please create a 1500 point list from the following units.

Well, given more FIre Warriors and a few tanks I could come up with a workable list... Crisis suits are good, but you simply can't build an army off of them. 3 squadrons of stealth suits will be a great annoyance to your opponent too, but expect them to get smeared off the table after they get a few kills in. People don't seem to like stealthsuits for some reason :-\

Anyhoo, a good 1500 would include, well... Things you don't have, sorry. I'd really like to help, but I play almost pure mech and I don't think I could make a list with no tanks that actually works... Devilfish! Devilfish and Firewarriors! Do it!

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Please create a 1500 point list from the following units.

I agree. In a 1500 point army you should have way more troops. I don't know about tank heavy (though I usually do play with quite a bit of armour on the table). There are far to many stealth's here. But, I know you don't want to here what I have to say about what models you have you want army suggestions.

I'd go with a single model HQ and a full three man HQ. Two two man crisis teams and a full stealth team. At least three maxed troop squads, either fire warrior or kroot (though you need one unit of fire warriors no matter what) max those gun drones and take two broadsides in their own heavy slots. I don't know how many points that would be or what gear you'd be interested in using, but thats what I'd do with the models given, though thats not very mobile at all. I don't have my codex handy but that would probably get pretty close to 2000 points. I'd say if you have the money get a hammer head, or a sky ray (as the skyray comes with the bits to make a hammer head).

I guess thats not much help, sorry its late and I just got home from the beer Olympics. My team (the zombie hunters) lost miserably. On the plus side we have awesome team shirts!
Old 28 Dec 2007, 14:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Creative help needed with 1500 point list.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. This is a perfect "be careful what you wish for you just might get it" situation.
I wanted tau for Christmas: XV8s, 88s, 25s, fire warriors, and Kroot. Well I guess a box of troops is not an attractive gift. I got the rapid insertion force, a box of XV25s, and 2 XV88s. They are nice gifts, all mail ordered so returns are a pain. Besides, I hate to return a gift.
I'm going to have to go WAY outside the box on this one.
I think it could be a great city fight army. Tons of jsj and smart missiles might be good, right? There are no bad ideas here. Feel free to get creative and help out if you can. Thanks.
As far as siut configs go I was thinking about a group of firestorms with one AFP, a group of deathrain with a positional relay, and including two fusion blasters in one stealth group.
Suggestions in this area are also appreciated.

Is there really a loser in the beer olympics? ???
Old 28 Dec 2007, 16:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

With what you have I'd make a Farsight army. You've got the numbers of XV8's to do it properly, and you don't have any of the auxiliaries he can't field. You don't have a lot of tanks, or units he's limited to. I would mix up your XV8's like so: Firestorms, a Thunderrain (TLMP/AFP), Deathrains, I guess a couple of Knifefires or Helios, and a Centurion El. I would convert some of the suits to be XV88's and give them SMS, but don't glue them. A couple teams of those with A.S.S giving cover fire while the XV8's JSJ through cover should work. Take a few units of gun drones too, they are great in city fight. Hope that helps.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 16:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the reply scoutfox. I have been looking for some information on Farsight tactics but they are scarce. If you have any tactical suggestions regardng the use of farsight I would love to hear them.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 17:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I used Farsight for the first time last weekend against Necrons, and I must say I like how he performed. I had him advance up the middle with my Ninja'O (FB/MP, IA, MT, stims) and a unit of gun drones. The gun drones forced my opponent to shoot them instead of either IC. In the future I will bring more units, as they will offer a better sheild and can help out in hand to hand. I kept the O in front of Farsight, because he can soak up so much more shooting.

The pair then charged two seperate units of five flayed ones, and they each wiped them out. After that they charged a unit of ten Warriors. Farsight is great against them, killing 3-4 per turn with his powerweapon. After the first round of combat the Ninja jumped out and engaged a unit of Destroyers, while Farsight mopped up the Warriors. Then next turn Farsight charged a second unit of Warriors and kept them from making it to the objective.

The pair of IC's backing each other in combat was great. in the shooting phase you have a double taping PR, and whatever your Ninja has. Then on the charge you have 10 str 5 attacks, half of them being a power weapon, going in Int 5 and 3. Not much can stand up to that. Add in some drones and you should be able to take out a lot. The only thing I'd worry about is power fists and swords. I thought the combo worked wonders, but I'm sure my opponent will try to do something different next time.

The rest of my list was an Ionhead, 2 XV88's with SD/PR, 3 sniper teams, 3 squads of 8 FW, 6 XV15's, and a pair of Deathrains.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 17:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As others have said, you'll definitely need some more troops. You could make a legal list with 2 6-man teams, but it wouldn't be very effective. I'd suggest some kroot, as they're the best way for a tau force to have a chance in assault. With lots of stealth suits and gun drones, you could make a couple of units of stealth suits with 2 gun drones each. They all count as stealthed and that's a LOT of JSJ-ing firepower (although AP 5). You could also run a gun-drone squadron if you prefer. I would make your two broadsides and field them as single-member teams with a shield drone or two. A 3-man team with two shield drones is my favorite combination, so another broadside kit would be a good idea.

You have no vehicles, so buy at least one skyray kit and probably a devilfish kit also. The skyray box has the parts to make skyray, hammerhead, or devilfish. Skyray + devilfish will let you field a hammerhead and a skyray together with only the slightest liberties taken. Once you have a devilfish, get either some dedicated pathfinder models or another box of firewarriors (they proxy pathfinders just fine) and make a pathfinder squad. Markerlights rule!

Since you're fighting marines you're going to want as much AP3 as possible, and 2 broadsides are not going to cut it. With your opponent's permission you could proxy a firewarrior or stealthsuit with 3 gun drones and try out the sniper drone teams. They're good at killing marines. When you make up a list you're going to have a hard time using all those battlesuits because they all take Elite slots. One way to get around this would be to field to HQ squads with bodyguard. That will use 6 suits without taking any Elite slots. You could then have two stealth or stealth/drone teams and another crisis team. There are so many ways to configure crisis suits I won't suggest specific packages here. Just pay close attention to the AP value of the weapons as that's the best clue what they're good at.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote