Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Those jerks with their fancy power armor
Old 26 Dec 2007, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Those jerks with their fancy power armor

A friend of mine just started playing black templar and we've quickly realized a point about any Tau vs Space Marines game, they're really long, like REALLY long. I play my tau mechanised, making them damn near impossible to hit and therefore kill while he relies on the fact that his space marines have kickass armor saves and that I roll terribly.

Anyone have some insights on effective means of punching holes in space marines?

There's NEVER too many railguns.
Zakmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 16:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to GueVesaUnit
Default Re: Those jerks with their fancy power armor

Plasma rifles. Lots of them.

Also railguns and ion cannons.

As for strategies... I'm sorry, can't help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
If we were all normal, we wouldn't be talking on this forum every single bloody day, instead of breathing in some fresh air once in a while. Anyone remember what the sun looks like? I think it was a sphere...
[quote=Ineluki]
Weirdo? Please, you're as normal as I am. ...wait, what?
GueVesaUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 16:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I haven't fought against SM, but Sisters of battle was a tough game. Lots of missile pods and an Ion Cannons. Twin-linked plasma rifles are good too.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 16:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

space marines make you rely on your whole army- every piece should defend and use it's neighbor.

That means markerlights/supporting crisis assaults/and most of all the ability to keep your distance and draw him out. Your not going to have an easy time- cheese monsters indeed.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 16:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ion Cannon Hammerheads x2 + 3 Sniper Squads...

15 AP3 shots a turn

Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters also work.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 16:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to GueVesaUnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
Ion Cannon Hammerheads x2 + 3 Sniper Squads...

15 AP3 shots a turn

Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters also work.
Just be careful with the Fusions, since you have to get really close for that. Either put them on dedicated suicide-suits (with, say, two drones and a shield-gen), or on tankhunters (they're really good with this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
If we were all normal, we wouldn't be talking on this forum every single bloody day, instead of breathing in some fresh air once in a while. Anyone remember what the sun looks like? I think it was a sphere...
[quote=Ineluki]
Weirdo? Please, you're as normal as I am. ...wait, what?
GueVesaUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have both armies, marines and tau. I started tau when every army I faced was either loyal or chaos marines.
Marines can be handled in a couple ways that I can think of. You can include lots of ap three or less weapons in your army, or force tons of saves by using high rate of fire. The latter is more beneficial if cover is plentiful. Target selection is very important VS marines.
You have to focus fire power to get kills. You need more than one squad firing at a target to damage resiliant marine squads. Start with the biggest threats and only move down the list after your target is destroyed or is no longer the biggest threat.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 17:05   #8 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Definitely T-L Plasma for your suits. Plasmas still leave you enough range to take advantage of JSJ and carry a great punch.

Fusion Blasters force you to get so close that your suits might as well wear a red shirt and walk around a hostile planet with James T. Kirk - because they are gonna be assaulted and they will die.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 17:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Rail rifles. Never overlook the beauty of the rail rifles...preferably with sniper drones.

I've fought many battle against the Space Marines (one of my friends uses them) and I've mainly used Sniper Drones teams, broadside, XV-8 (Burning eyes, deathrain, Fire knives or Helios) against them...as well as Markerlight (from the sniper drones spotter or my FW shas'ui team leader).

Personally, I mainly play Static/Hybrid so, tactic-wise, I sit down in the back of my line (preferably with some cover) and force the Space Marines to come to me. This have many benefits such as:
1) I don't move therefore can use my matrkerlight every round,
2) Most of my weapons have a Range of 36", 30" and 24". Which means I can get off several shoots where he cant retaliate (or with only minimal retaliation).

Also:
3) Your Broadside should focus on tanks (especially the Whirlwind) and try to bring them down ASAP. Once there are no more, either enjoy killing the HQ qith the railgun or enjoy using the Smart missile system.
4) your XV-8 should focus on Jump infantry, dreadnaught, speeder and bikers. Simply because they are fast (for the most part) but lightly armored vehicules. And Use the JSJ tactic to get in closer then retreat after shooting.
5) Sniper drones should try to pop down Jump infantry first then anything else in range. their stealth shield pretty much means they are near impossible to shoot down.
6) Firewarrior should shoot at anything they can get ther hands on, and your shas'ui should have a markerlight and a HW multi-tracker, to be able to shoot and 'paint' an enemy unit to help your suits.

While it may not be the best tactic out there against SM (and MEQ), it really help me save my tau bacon.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 20:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

There's someone at my club who is putting together a Blood Angles army and is pretty confident that he can beat my Tau by making good use of Assult Marines and other aggressive and possibly cheesy units. What's the best tactics against this style of army? At the moment, I'm building my army into a hybrid list.