Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Word For Empire
Old 25 Dec 2007, 22:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau Word For Empire

I've written maybe five posts today, on Christmas, and i'm frankly embarrassed- but the family gathering has broken up and, quite honestly, I can't think of anything else except Tau stuff. Then again, that's probably because I didn't get any toys to pass the time and play with (bitter bitter bitter :'()

That being said (and how unnecessary it was) I have been speculating as to what the Tau Word for Empire is- this is what I've got so far.

An'Kai'chia- the Place of Great Unification

Thoughts?
Old 25 Dec 2007, 23:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tau Word For Empire

Strangely I don't think the Tau would have a word for Empire as we mean Empire.

Well the Tau are not conquers more than idea spreaders. Let's put it this way the Tau 'Empire' is not a place of the authority of the Tau, but a place where the ideology of the 'Tau'va' stands.

Thus it is not just Tau held words, but also those Imperail worlds that have revoked Imperail rule, or the Kroot worlds or any other race which subscribes to the greater good.

It's a different word that we should be looking at, not Empire, but something more akin to Realm, or Federation or I don't know English doesn't have the right word...

The closest word is State, but even that suggests a certain amount of Imperialism to it.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2007, 23:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

then couldn't the concept of unification be perfect? It doesn't put an emphasis on the Tau and it does what the Tau'va stands for.

Genmotty- i'm glad you responded to this- i'm in the process of writing up the Lexicon for the Project- I hope you like it since you had a lot to do with it.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Indeed I'm no expert, but I like to think I have a working understanding of the structure of language and meanings.

In many ways the Tau'va is both the Ideology and State, however I don't think the reference to |Tau| is of key importance. Although we have the 'Tau'va' greater good. It is much the same as Mankind, meaning not just men, but women as well.

I dunno, I would think Tau'va would explain the term 'state' just as well although the semitics of application could differ for the concern of territory. Hence;

H Tau'va

Meaning THE(OF) greater good. Rather than the philosophy of the Tau'va which would just be Tau'va.

Make sense?

Genmotty
Old 26 Dec 2007, 01:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

huh- so the word for Empire would just be Tau'va?
Old 26 Dec 2007, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why not? I think this is a reasonable presumption - after all, the Tau DO believe that their Empire is the embodiement of the Greater Good. They fight and live for the Greater Good, their way of living.

It is possible that their term "Greater Good" has two meanings (the concept and the Empire), but combined together (i.e. it is impossible to think of the Empire without the concept, and vice versa).

Besides, it makes battlecries much easier... ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 07:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

huh... well... well that just takes all the wind out of my sales.

So- can we agree that Tau'va is also the Tau term for Empire?
Old 26 Dec 2007, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, but Empire is the wrong word, the Tau'va is the State of the Greater Good

See you have the United States of America which comes from the United States of the Americas, but its not the American Empire because it is a set of regions subscribing to a common administration.

An Empire like the British Empire or Syrian Empire is a set of regions governed by a single authority, which has subdivisions in the local area. Hence the Imperium is an Empire. Not a state.

The Tau codex writer used by far the most wrongest (I understand this isn't a word, but bad grammer to make a point) word to describe the Tau collectives.

But yes we can agree that the Tau States go under the name of H Tau'va.

Note that the H is a possessive term and would be in this context the equivalent of "The United States" rather than "United States" as you'd agree both those phrases are different in meaning, one is a noun, the other a descriptive phrase.

Genmotty
Old 26 Dec 2007, 18:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Also try not to forget that a single word can have many meanings in the Tau language.

If my memory serves me right, the original codex explained that simple glottal emphasis, inflection in one's voice, and even body language and posture play a large role in Tau vocal communications.

This is kinda how I twist my Commander's name; Mont'va. Literally, it's "Great Death" (or something like it), but the way the Tau speak the word conveys the meaning; "Doombringer".

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 18:55   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I would come back to that classic maxim of "Eskimos have no word for Snow".

People often think this means that Eskimos have no word for Snow because it's everywhere. However, I tend to think it is because they have a word for "light snow", "heavy snow", "snow with ice in it,"soft snow," "compact snow," "snow that is actually ice," "snow that has buried your Mother in Law alive", and so on.

But anyway, I think that "Tau'va" is potentially useable in reference to the Tau Empire. After all, what better definition of the Tau'va is there than a united collection of races, spread over countless star systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote