Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Expanding on the new stealth suits
Old 25 Dec 2007, 21:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Expanding on the new stealth suits

From an operating and schematic perspective- what do you think the more advanced stealth suit has over its predecessor?

I would imagine improved sensors and maybe a better jump pack and stealth system- including an improved generator to fuel the fusion blaster and extra support system.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 23:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Expanding on the new stealth suits

That makes good sense. The relative closeup of a stealth suit on the codex cover seems to have a lot of room for more headgear/communications equipment, just in case those stealth suits need support I guess? It seems like the heftier suit would also be better able to handle weapon recoil as well as heat dissipation. Perhaps it would allow the stealth field generator to work in more terrain environments, or adapt to shifting surroundings more quickly?

Were stealth suits able to have an extra support system in the 3rd edition codex? I don't remember, but if they weren't the new 4th edition suit's larger profile would certainly make more sense! (Sometimes I wonder what the Shas'ui thought when they received these new, much larger and presumably larger-profile suits...though perhaps the stealth field generator would make up for the bigger suit size.)
Old 25 Dec 2007, 23:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

that's essentially what i want to figure out- the suits are much larger and so they must have huge advantages over the smaller, seemingly more agile, predecessor.

I didn't think of the environmental abilities- that makes sense since the thing looks like it could hold up in any environ- even perhaps vacuum.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Vacuum isn't that hostile an environment. You can survive in vacuum with a skintight wetsuit and an oxygen mask, if you have a tight band around your chest to help you exhale. I'd assume that all battlesuits would be vacuum-capable, and probably Fire Warrior armour too.

The in-game differences between the XV15 and the XV25 are fairly minor - the ability to carry a fusion blaster and a support system. I assume that there are other improvements involved to justify such a radical change of appearance, but they could all either be too insignificant to justify a change to their rules or statistics; or not of a nature that lends itself to being represented in-game.

For example, the armour protection of the suits could have been improved, but not enough to justify a 2+ save. The same applies to their strength, speed, weapon power ... just about everything that has a statistic in the game.

Then there are improvements that are awkward to represent in the game - environmental protection, jetpack thrust, heat dissipation, powerplant life for extended missions behind enemy lines...

Note also that their bulk isn't as much of a disadvantage as it would be without antigrav technology.
Abanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 07:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

bulk would be a targeting issue (its easier to hit big things)

And I meant 'combat' in a vacuum environment- as much as i would LOVE to see someone in a wetsuit running... floating around- its gonna be a bad day if they knick themselves.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 08:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

True. If something rips a hole in your suit and you start decompressing, you've got about 15 seconds to slap a patch over it before you lose consciousness, or maybe 90 seconds for someone else to patch it before you suffer permanent brain damage. Assuming, that is, that Tau physiology is fairly similar to our own.

It depends on the design of the suit, though. If you've got a skin-tight elastic pressure suit, then a cut anywhere but your breathing apparatus is going to cause nothing but localised swelling and contusions - unless it takes your whole limb off, in which case it doesn't really matter whether you're in vacuum or not.
Abanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 05:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've actually been wondering something lately, which is sort of related to this topic - have the Tau Empire begun to completely phase out their XV15 suits, or are the XV25s intended as something extra, to be used in combat for different purposes? On a similar note, are the new XV22s used by commanders such as O'Kais and O'Shaserra going to replace the XV25s in due course?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 05:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think the XV22's will eventually be an option for commanders.

I like to think that the XV15 is still the standard suit but that 25's are for the team leaders. Maybe they have extra comm. gear, or perhaps additional special gear? what i can't imagine.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 17:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
I think the XV22's will eventually be an option for commanders.

I like to think that the XV15 is still the standard suit but that 22's are for the team leaders. Maybe they have extra comm. gear, or perhaps additional special gear? what i can't imagine.
You mean 25s, right?

Anyway, I guess this means you're going on the Dark Crusade version of things, then?

I think that's probably not right, myself, though, as a line in the Stealth Team list entry says that team members may have an additional support hardpoint but only if all members of the squad do so. I know that rules=/=fluff, but still, it's got to count for something.

In which case, then, I'm just a little curious to know just what they're doing with all those now obsolete XV15 suits. My fluff has them being cannibalised to make new (if somewhat basic) battlesuits for the Gue'vesa, but I understand that is considered sacrilege by some around these parts. So sue me. :P

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2007, 17:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Consider yourself served then Kasrkin.

I think game wise nothing is going to change with the XV15/XV25 debate, but fluffwise I think the XV15 would be phased out and placed in a museum. In fluff terms I'm sure the newer suits are better somehow, or they never would have made them. So, I can't see commanders using inferior stealth suits, if better ones are available. It could take a while to get all Cadres equipped with the newer versions though, so I'm sure you would see a mixture of suits in large scale conflicts. Like in today's US Army special forces get all the cool new gear first, and then fifteen years later those trickle down to the National Guard, and are obsolete.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote