* *-plasma rifle
* *-missile pod
* *-multi tracker

2 body guard squads of 2- 160pt.
* *-plasma rifle
* *-missile pod
* *-multi tracker

ELITE

2 groups of 3 xv8 crisis battlesuit- 390pt.
* *-plasma rifle
* *-missile pod
* *-multi tracker

1 group of 3 xv8 crisis battlesuit- 173pt.
* *-1 with fireknife
* *-2 with* burst cannon,missile pod, target lock

TROOPS:

3 groups of 12 normal firewarrior shas'la- 360pt.

each equipped with a devilfish troops apc- 240pt.

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 hammerhead gunship- 155pt.
* *-railgun
* *-burst cannon
* *-multi tracker
* *-railgun
* *-burst cannon
* *-multi tracker

TOTAL-1853pt.

Obviously, the strategy behind this army is a mobile one and involves a lot of crisis suits for anti infantry and light/medium vehicles, with troops support and tanks to take out heavily armored vehicles or to lay pie plates on the enemy.* Please rate and fix this army.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 02 Apr 2005, 12:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: would this army work?

You've got way too many points sunk into your HQ - giving them a body guard ruins their IC status and turns them into lascannon/missile launcher fodder. I would dump the bodyguards, take two 'els instead of 'os and add a full sized stealth team with the points you save, plus adding on the critical requirements you've left off all of the skimmers - decoy launchers.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 02 Apr 2005, 15:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
[sup]
HQ:

2 xv8 crisis battlesuit shas'o- 220pt.
-plasma rifle
-missile pod
-multi tracker

2 body guard squads of 2- 160pt.
-plasma rifle
-missile pod
-multi tracker

ELITE

2 groups of 3 xv8 crisis battlesuit- 390pt.
-plasma rifle
-missile pod
-multi tracker

1 group of 3 xv8 crisis battlesuit- 173pt.
-1 with fireknife
-2 with burst cannon,missile pod, target lock

TROOPS:

3 groups of 12 normal firewarrior shas'la- 360pt.

each equipped with a devilfish troops apc- 240pt.

HEAVY SUPPORT

-railgun
-burst cannon
-multi tracker
-railgun
-burst cannon
-multi tracker
[/sup]

I think for starters, as Waldo said, you've got way too much on the top end of your list and I would recommend you drop out of this 15 XV8 battle suit thing. I too love suits, but running that many actually is over-board when they're all configured the same.

I would recommend, if it's still possible, I would really go and start making a few suits with twin-linked weapons. When you have a lot of suits, it's generally better to simply have a lot of cheaper suits that have a twin-linked gun, rather than a bunch of suits with average chances to fire a few of their weapons. I know people will argue the math about it, but we all know how it feels to try and shoot your missile pods and plasma rifles at ~24~36 inch ranges and never hitting any of those plasma shots and only hitting 2 or 3 of those missile pods. It hurts losing out so many of your shots. So really, if you still can or would like to, try taking a full team with twin-linked plasma, a full team with twin-linked missile pods and then another full team with twin-linked plasma and then leave the other few with fireknife as normal for your commanders and body guards and the like. It'll save you some points and you'll see in-game results that you may just like better.

Fireknife is very effective and efficient, but when it's a lot of them and half of them don't even hit, then you've lost that many points to your enemy already just by paying for half the shots that won't even be used. It's a hard choice. Play test it if you'd like. Math says that a team of fireknives will do better on average when laying into a squad of marines. But reliability says you'll kill more marines more often, even when you are below average when it comes to the math. The game isn't pure math afterall.

The rest of the army is totally fine, but you have very little in the way of scoring units, for objectives. I think with 5 vehicles and 15 suits, you could really make great use of Kroot here. Two or three small squads of them could make excellent squads for just holding a table quarter so that the rest of your army can deal with the enemy. And really, who's going to shoot kroot when you have 15 battle suits and hammerheads about?

Otherwise, if you cannot change your suits at all, I would recommend droping a few, go down to 11 suits (commander, commander, elite x 3, elite x 3, elite x 3). It'll save enough points to afford those Kroot squads, or some more firewarriors, or anything really that could be useful to you (even gun drones).
Old 02 Apr 2005, 15:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well, I'll keep all of this in mind, because I already have an army but I might make this army if I ever get bored of my current one, because so far crisis suits have proven to be the units that help me the most in games, and I only have 6, so if I had 15...

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 02 Apr 2005, 15:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't have much time for a lengthy reply, but I don't think crisis suits in volume like that pull their weight where efficiency is concerned. It's just simply too easy to get them autokilled to lascannons and battlecannons. I know you're going for a mobile approach but I wouldn't feel good fielding those many suits who on any given turn are only firing 26 missiles. Missile pods are a fine weapon, however - they do not excel at killing marines or hordes of weenies. They will not give you the results you are looking for, as they *really* are for killing skimmers with funky evasion rules and otherwise obscure/light armored vehicles.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 02 Apr 2005, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Ahh good! I'm glad you're not stuck with a lot of permanently glued suits then.

Consider this then perhaps:

HQ - Commander Shas'el, 'Fireknife'
HQ - Commander Shas'el, 'Fireknife'

Elite - XV8 x 3, Twinlinked Missile Pods, Target Lock
Elite - XV8 x 3, Twinlinked Plasma Rifle, Flamer
Elite - XV8 x 3, Twinlinked Plasma Rifle, Flamer

Troop - Fire Warriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Decoy Launchers; multi-tracker
Troop - Kroot x 20; Infiltrators

Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers; Target Lock
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers; Target Lock
Old 02 Apr 2005, 22:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd like to say I'd shoot you if you were under my command and played a list that top heavy ^-^.

Mal's is much more what I'd think appropriate, 15 Crisis all configured the same increases redundancy to the point of it actually being a bad thing, and the last 4 crisis (the guards) actually drag down the durability and effectiveness.

Mal has what your looking for there, going off his : dropping a 2 FoF for a 3rd Railhead, 8 PF and splitting the kroot into 2 lots of 15 would be my choice.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 03 Apr 2005, 00:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ok, thanks, I'm gonna go with this army if the one I have doesn't work out to good.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 03 Apr 2005, 00:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also, I know this isn't the thread to put this in but I don't want to make a new one,so here it is: if you have a 12 man firewarrior squad and they want to shoot a space marine squad, but only one of the 12 is in range, does only that one firewarrior get to shoot or do all of them get to shoot?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 03 Apr 2005, 01:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Only that one. Thats it, no more. Alternately if only 1 is in rapid fire(12 inch) range only he gets the two shots. 4th edition is picky about such things and rightly so.

Your army list is fine as is. I would however drop the bodyguard team one one shas'o and give him a shield Genn, plasma rifle, and fusion blaster. Drop the other shas'O to a el and keep his bodyguard.

Also alternate their equipment more. That much of the same is not tactically flexible. The rest looks good.

Closed Thread