Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV15 Home Rules - an idea...
Old 22 Dec 2007, 19:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default XV15 Home Rules - an idea...

Well, I have to say, I like the looks of both the XV15 and XV25 stealthsuits. But it seems wierd that they would have the same stats, since the XV25 is obviously more advanced. And since I'd hate to see the old XV15's get permanently replaced, an idea popped into my head.

These house rules would apply to Fire Warrior squads...

A Shas'ui may be mounted in an XV15 Battlesuit for an additional cost of 10 points (Stats then become the same as a standard Stealthsuit Shas'ui). His weapon is replaced with a Burst Cannon, which may be replaced with a Fusion Blaster for +5 points. This XV15 is not equipped with a Stealth Field Generator, nor a Jet pack. Its Unit Type is Infantry instead of Jump Infantry (Jet Pack). Because the battlesuit has been stripped down, a unit including an XV15 Shas'ui may still be mounted in a Devilfish APC.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2007, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: XV15 Home Rules - an idea...

Nah. You're right about XV25s being better, but putting '15s in a FW squad would look kind of wierd. Just make '25s T4, '15s T3 (cheaper points cost, options in team to use either suit though all team members must wear the same suit). And then make XV8s T5, to roundt things up nicely. They're huge, why are they only as tough as a Space Marines? (and yes, I'm aware of the background material supporting SM armour being better than a lot of alien things, but look at how big the suits are!!!!)
Old 23 Dec 2007, 07:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

Shh..Be vewy vewy carefewl..They are huntin' noobies..ahahahah...Nah but really be careful people on the forum get touchy on this. (also no offense included just felt like joking to better my mood)

I like the first Idea by Faith,it would be pretty cool to see. Yes I too hate to see the Xv15's get lost in the long history of 40k but it will never happen, OH and I'm gonna beat half the people to it. The stats would TOTALY throw off the balance.

Just having fun,but it is a very shweet idea you have sir.

Happy Hunting!

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 11:15   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

What? The XV-25 is "more advanced"? That's funny, because the only difference is the XV-25 is bigger, clumsier, top-heavy, and far more likely to get the user killed. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 12:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I actually agree with Wargamer. I don't see why they made it that big, you could hear it coming a mile away.

*BOOM*
*HISS*
*SQUEAK*

The camo really helps....

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 12:56   #6 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

I don't think it would look weird to have the XV15 in a firewarrior squad at all. Until about three years ago I honeslty found it hard to tell the difference between the XV15 and firewarrios (to me they just looked like FW with a burst cannon and an antenna). The whole thing gave the impression that the entire Tau range was so homogenous that it completely put me off collecting Tau until the forgeworld battlesuits came out. Personally I think the change from XV15 to XV25 has been one of the best things to happen to the Tau range.

However, even though I don't think it would look weird doesnt mean I think its a good idea to make them basically a 'FW squad leader battlesuits'.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 16:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There is that line in the Stealths' army list entry that says they may have 1 support system, but only if the entire squad does. I think that this is the difference between XV15s and XV25s: an extra support system hardpoint.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2007, 09:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
There is that line in the Stealths' army list entry that says they may have 1 support system, but only if the entire squad does. I think that this is the difference between XV15s and XV25s: an extra support system hardpoint.
Yeah this was my thought also. The larger suit now hasthe ability to house a hardpoint selection.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2007, 13:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So whats your explanation of the obsolete suits not being used at all?

Tau doesent seem like a race that just throw away their stuff thats not as "new" and "shiney". They seem more like ones that will use everything to their advantage rather than just destroying it.

Think about it. What would you do with your 100 obsolete XV-15s? Throw them at the heap? Use them to support your firewarrior squads? Keep using them as stealthsuits? Putting them into civilian service? Whatever?

The most likely things they would do was either continuing using them, strip them so la's/ui's could use them or put them into commercial service.

Now. What would be beneficial when you have new and more effective suits as the XV15's role used to be?

The option B and C.

I think this is one of the better ideas that ever have ever seen on house rules. They are in fact brilliant. Good job!
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2007, 04:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, the idea behind it was the fact that a Shas'ui is the first rank that a Fire Warrior starts piloting a Battlesuit. And yet, this is also the rank that leads Fire Warrior teams. To get a Fire Warrior trained up to use the more advanced suits (25's, 8's, and 88's), it made sense to me to start them out in a less advanced suit (stripped down XV-15), and allow them to continue to lead their Fire Warrior squads.

The points costs were off the top of my head. Over all, though, I think it balances out. Your base cost for an XV-15 Fire Warrior Shas'ui would be 30 points (35 for a Fusion Blaster). No Hardpoint, no JSJ. Just a sturdier unit with a heavy weapon.

I'm actually tempted to pick up some of my local store's XV15's and convert them into my Fire Warrior Shas'uis, house rules or not.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote