Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What makes for a Good Tau Tournament Force Composition List + Sportmenship
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot
Default What makes for a Good Tau Tournament Force Composition List + Sportmenship

Hello all,

This is a spin off along the lines of a post created by Ninja Snarl on Tourney play and playing Tau.

What makes for a good Army list when it comes to the Sportsmenship points when playing at events such as Gamesday.

I'm considering playing this year in Chicago, and being my first big event was wondering what such a list should consist of and what not to consist of.

Just a quick run down of elements I'm planning on taking.

HQ: Shas'el
EL: 2 Deathrains (Team) + 2 Burningeye (Independents)
TRPS: 3 FW Teams of 6ea + 1 FW Team of 12 w/Devilfish + 2 Kroot Sqds of 12
FA: 8 Pathfinders w/Warfish all w/Markerlights
HS: 2 HH w/Railgun

4 Seekers

HQ: 5.2%
EL: 13.5%
TRPS: 43.0%
FA: 14.3%
HS: 24.1%

TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: What makes for a Good Tau Tournament Force Composition List + Sportmenship

I'd say some original choices (note: that doesn't mean "bad" choices, just something you don't see every day, to make your list give off a vibe that you're not playing just to win every game. Your pathfinders would be a good example, methinks.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: What makes for a Good Tau Tournament Force Composition List + Sportmenship

I can't really argue with the Kroot (I LOVE Kroot, I just wish I had more of the models), but I would recommend a couple Kroot Hounds in each of those squads.

You can't go wrong with Deathrains, but I would try to fit more AP2/3 weaponry in your list. If you want to stick with the Pathfinders, I would go with some more suits with Plasma Rifles. If not that, then a Hammerhead with an Ion cannon would be a nice, durable, long-range addition. You'd have to drop 2 minimum FW squads, though.
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 21:47   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

If you want high Sportsmanship, avoid Indirect Fire*. In my experience, what pisses people off most is "hide and seek" armies. To be honest, it isn't very sporting to just sit behind terrain and fire over it. On a personal note, I would also say no Decoys; they are a broken upgrade Fluffwise (how do flares distract unguided weapons fire?).

Your army appears refreshingly different, which in itself is a god-send; it suggests you actually give a damn about something other than winning, and that alone speaks volumes.

* = Seekers are not considered Indirect, as you have to have line of fire from a Markerlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 22:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like this list. It has some firepower and a good model count. I really like the fact that it isn't the same list that is posted 100 times on the tau army list board. Good luck at gamesday.