Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking for comments on a fluffy army idea.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 16:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Looking for comments on a fluffy army idea.

I have a Fluffy idea for an army that strays pretty far from the conventional army building wisdom shared on this site.
I'd like to know if you think it will be good enough for some fun games. This is intended to be used within a gaming group that creates a casual story-line as games are played. Interesting armies tend to result in better stories.
Here are some of my thoughts, your suggestions are welcome.
I want to create the image of Tau elite units operating covertly to destabilize a region.To support this theme I will employ the following units.
Troops:
ONLY ONE FW TEAM 12 strong with 3 marker lights(2 drones): This represents the Tau "military advisors" aiding in a gorilla war which is not an official Tau military action. Perhaps the water caste is in open negotiations while secretly sowing discord among the population.
Kroot: Although Kroot are commonly utilized by the Tau they could be employed by anyone. This gives the Tau a level of separation from hostile actions.
Human aux: Tau personnel posing as indigenous forces involved in a military coup.
Elites:
Tau "military advisors" would never enter the field without some fire support and who better to provide that in a covert manner than stealth suits. Three full squads will be involved in the operation. They will infiltrate or deepstrike into position. One squad will be equipped with 2 fusion blasters and target arrays allowing them to act without much support from other units.The other 2 will be equipped with burst cannons and markerlights.
HQ:
1) A ShasEl will lead this force in the field and utilize the positional relay to bring reinforcements (stealths and XV8's) into the fray when needed. He is accompanied by 2 trusted bodyguard. Long range weapons (TL MP) and JSJ are used to support troops while staying mostly out of sight.
2) ShasEL Han'Bal is officially classified as a wanted renegade by the Tau Empire. He and his bodyguard ( Mer'Dok and Bara'Kus) are legitimately unstable,all suffering from battlesuit neurosis. Because of their renegade status it is believed that they are acting as mercenaries. This is a close support unit armed with High S Low AP weapons. They will deepstrike into position.
Heavy Support:
I think a Skyray with SMS might fit the fluff and fulfills a tactical role. The sky ray can stay out of site early in the game using MLs from the stealth teams and fire warriors to strike armor. Later in the game the markerlights can maximize the effect of bust cannon stealth teams.
What do you guys think?
Old 20 Dec 2007, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: Looking for comments on a fluffy army idea.

While I fully support the fluffy use of Tau special operations cells operating beyond the borders of Tau territory in conjunction with Por diplomants to cause disorder and destabilize the surrounding region for the next expansion phase, I think it's hard to translate that into gameplay while having it remain an effective fighting force.

I honestly don't think Heavy Attack Vehicles should/would be used at all. Under normal circumstances, they'd require a Manta to transport them to battle, and that's a significantly increased risk of detection right there. Mix that with the fact that heavy signature Tau weapons like guided seeker missiles and railguns aren't very stealthy.

I'd go in favor (fluff-wise) of a heavy XV15/25/pathfinder-oriented force (equipped with all the latest gadgets and gizmos the Fio can offer) that can be transported to and fro in the much smaller Orca or Devilfish (provided they don't mind increased transit times, it's quite possible as far as physics goes for a Devilfish chassis to be a transatmospheric transport, but would take many, many hours per trip).

Such units would be able to use advanced training in the arts of fieldcraft and survival to sustain themselves on the ground for prolonged periods of time, operating under cover of night/weather to either perform psychological warfare operations or surgical attacks on loyalist defense forces as well as the civilian population.

Once the civilian population realizes their own PDF can't protect them, it may be easier for the Por to convince them to side with the Tau.

I'm actually pseudo-running a Tau RP on RPoL called Kill Team Tau (gets the point across), which details such a force. Check it out for some possible ideas.

---

Given all this, you can probably see how such a list (comprised mainly of camouflaged forces) wouldn't be competitive at all.

In a campaign, however, I think with the right measure of balance and fluffy army composition on either side (Tau Strike Force vs. PDF Garrison with little armour support, for example), it would be tons of fun to play with/against.

Hope this helps.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2007, 18:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your thoughts were very helpful, thanks.
I agree with your point regarding the use of a skyray or any railguns. I think fusion blasters and some luck with deepstrike scatter could get the job done. Thinking in terms of what could fit in an Orca is a great gage for remaining true to the fluff. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 21:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Heres a quick idea for your Force,

How about replacing the Skyray with some Remora's, this unit would provide you the ability to use the Stealth option while still supporting your Anti Armor ability, these would fit nicely into your story line to carry on with the covert type operations.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2007, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Good thinking, XV88-2.

I forgot to mention that such a force would likely be supported by a vast multitude of drone support, ranging from simple observation, sensor, and psychological warfare drones to heavier drones like the Remora for emergency heavy support or raids.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 20 Dec 2007, 21:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like the idea. Are the flyer rules from some old white dwarf I have laying around still used? I downloaded the trial rules for the remora when they were available. have they changed? I have never used any kind of flyer in a game so any info or suggested tactics you have to offer would be appreciated. What do you think about adding a couple of normal drone units to the army?
Old 20 Dec 2007, 22:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sounds perfectly fluffy. They could be used as quick reaction forces or patrol/surveillance teams designed to take out enemies who've spotted the Tau Pathfinders or 'Suits before they have a chance to vox in a warning or escape and relay a message to HQ.

Hell, since it's "just for fun" and part of an ongoing storyline, you might be able to make up your own rules for them.

Imagine, a dedicated SpecOps drone team armed with a wide assortment of easy-to-acquire Imperial weaponry, acting as a harrassment force just out of eyeshot behind a treeline. PDF Garrison would immediately think they're taking potshots from renegade militia forces or a local gang - and even if they went to investigate, the drones would be long gone by the time they arrived (without a footprint, to boot)!

Talk about psychological warfare!

Doombringer

Old 20 Dec 2007, 23:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks again for your thoughts. That is a creative idea. I'll sit down tonight or tomorrow and try to figur out a full list. A tau army with no skimmers, no railguns, and no seekers. I doubt anyone will know what to make of it. Maybe the human aux should have EMP grenades, just for kicks.
"This is all we have?"
"Yes sir."
"Well, I guess we can try sticky bombs; give me your socks."
Old 21 Dec 2007, 00:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Just a quick update, if planning on the Remoras you will have 4 seekers 4 for your use if you choose to use this element.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i'd use sniper drone teams for heavy support, due to the stealth and not-vehicle-ness, plus the extra markerlight and anti-heavy-infantry weapons

oh, and awesome fluffy idea ;D

"well, look who thinks he's Clever Dan"
those who fight and run away live to fight another day
"i can't feel my torso!"
"to hell with your spoiled baby, i need those shoes!"
spoot is offline   Reply With Quote