Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

'My first proper Tau battle' Battle report
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 'My first proper Tau battle' Battle report

OK, first some fluff: my army, a colonisation force from Tash'var is assaulting the world Malthrax II, which is defended by the Venomous Skulls chapter. A small vanguard of Tau try to quickly overwhelm the SMs.

It was a Cleanse battle.

My force: 24 Fire Warriors
Commander Songblade
10 Kroot
A Pirahna

Space Marines: Chaplain, 5 man command squad
Commander with jump pack, 5 assault marines
8 Tactical Marines
5 scouts

The map was a grassy one, with lots of trees on the outskirts, a hill in the middle, and two small CoD buildings. I got to deploy first, and seized a table quarter with a building. It placed all my Fire Warriors in the building, and kept the Kroot hidden in a nearby wood, ready to counter-attack. Commander Songblade stayed in cover, ready to help the Kroot, and the Pirhana got in a position to quickly reach the enemy.

The Pirhana dashed forward, harrying the enemies and delaying the Tactical Squad, so that they never reached the Fire Base. When the Assault sqaud got close, they were hit by 31 pulse rifle shots, 20 kroot rifle shots, 1 fusion blaster shot and 5 cyclic ion blaster shots. Only the Commander was left, with one wound remaining, and he was promptly moved away by his owner.
More FW shots, with a little help from the Pirhana, crippled the scouts, who fled of the board.
When the Commander squad finally got close, massed fire again took them down easily. Satisfyingly, Songblade shot the Enemy Commander with his fusion blaster, killing him despite his Adamantine Mantle.
With only a damaged Tactical Squad remaining, my opponent relented and gave up.

Casualties

Tau: 3 Fire Warriors
2 Kroot

SM: 3 Tactical
5 Assault
1 Chaplain
1 Commander
5 Scouts

It was an overwhleming victory for my Tau, and one I am superbly pleased with. I have the following lessons I have learnt.
  • Tau firepower is very good, but power armour can be a problem.
  • The Kroot are actually good shooters.
  • Commander Songblade isn't invincible (he was nearly hit by a rocket).
  • The Pirhana is very useful, and draws a lot of attention.
  • Assault Squads are fast.
  • 30" is a very long way.

Fluff: The tau have easily won the battle, but the escaping Tactical Marines ahve warned there master, and the next battle (an assault on a settlement) will face greater resistance.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2007, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR
Default Re: 'My first proper Tau battle' Battle report

Very well done. I enjoyed the fluff and cant wait for the next battle report!
(Although, the Tau ALWAYS win against power armor)
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 12:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A krak missile is a great way to instant kill a battlesuit. Never present yourself and leave yout XV8s open to lascannon and missile launcher fire.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Was your oponent new at sm because almost anyone could have pulled that assult off with without falling short about 3in then dieing in rapidfire range. Besides that nice battle report!

Zanitz

98% of the world plays World of Warcraft or any other type of MMO. If your one of the 2% that doesn't, post this into your signature
Inquisitor Zanitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

@F3AR: Thank you. Next battle should be in early January, with about 1,000 points a side. I will have more battlesuits, and will be facing devastators, some vehicles and maybe an Inquisitor. It will take place on a grassy map, with one quarter containing a city, where the Imperials are waiting. Hopefully next battle Songblade's pupil Skystrike (a lady) will be present.

@Gareth: Thanks for the advice. I realised that they're not as tough as Terminators, so I'm giving Commander Songblade a shield generator just in case.

@Zanitz: He wasn't that experienced at judging distances. If I had been him I would have hung back and forced my Fire warriors to expose themselves.

@All: Thank you for your comments, hopefully when the next battle happens you will be able to read a report on that too.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote