Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deepstriking Crisis
Closed Thread
Old 02 Apr 2005, 02:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739
Default Deepstriking Crisis

Is DeepStriking Crisis suits a good idea?

This guy at my club who is really good tells me it is essential

However every time I DS them i ALWAYS roll bad on the scatter dice

Personally I find them better to be deployed with the rest of the army

Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions?

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 02 Apr 2005, 03:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Deepstriking Crisis

I dont like to risk losing such an expensive unit to an unlucky roll of a scatter die,

it tends to work better if you just bring 'em up with the rest of the army
Old 02 Apr 2005, 03:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For busting armor sure. I wouldn't dream of deep striking long range suits though , that's just throwing away points.

What I usually use for tank busting when deep strike is allowed is

Shas'o
Fusion Blaster
Plasma Rifle
Multi tracker

If he survives the following turn after hopefully breaking the armor wide open, then just direct him to cover or have him start attacking power armor units. Otherwise hightail it back to IC status behind something mobile, which I would hope would be harassing stealth suits. Otherwise, he paid for his points and he can die an honorable death suiciding into something.

Other than that, I have had decent success with the basic "sunforge" model. I think the name is stupid but people will recognize it. I really dont like risking a suit like that to missing it's Twin linked 4+ roll, but it's cheap. If you have one HQ and you need that role I would make your HQ your suicide unit, because they tend not to miss. Otherwise for the points it has the potential to cause some headaches and that is what strategy games are all about, using less to destroy more.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 02 Apr 2005, 04:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

the only suit I would DS is a Sunforge or Deatrain Monat tank killer suicide squads :P.

a full squad is too expensive to risk and you dont want your commander throwing away the protection of the IC rule.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 02 Apr 2005, 04:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
the only suit I would DS is a Sunforge or Deatrain Monat tank killer suicide squads :P.
Where can I find these crazy names for configs with crisis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
For busting armor sure. I wouldn't dream of deep striking long range suits though , that's just throwing away points.
Yeah, if your going to DS a squad who has a Missle Pod, thats pointless. But if it has shorter distance, like a fusion blaster, or mabey you want to get rapid fire on your plasma rifle, then sure its a good idea. Just be cautios of how close you might get, because the enemy wont hesitate to charge our crisis.
Old 02 Apr 2005, 04:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

here
go here
Old 02 Apr 2005, 04:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

My experience with using crisis suits to deep strike to bust enemy armor came up to a single configuration that works for me. It may not be what everyone else prefers, but it always did me well in both casual and trounament games.

I tried the whole fusion gun bit, but really it's just too short range to be of any use after a deep strike that is just too risky. I prefer saftey and I prefer still being accurate. So I went another route.

Crisis Suits for Deep Striking Anti-Armor Support: 168 points.
  • XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Shas'ui x 3
    • Hardpoint I & II: Twin-linked Missile Pod
    • Hardpoint III: Target-Lock

This squad has always worked wonders for me in my games against heavily armoed forces of Imperial Guard and static castle Marines. The Suits show up with good distance behind the enemy armor where possible. If this is not a possibility, we go for side armor positions where possible. If none of this is going to be possible in a reasonably safe manner, I don't deep strike there -- simple as that. Instead, I setup in any area that will give me a good shot, or I simply land somewhere on my side behind terrain to hopefully shield myself since my deep strike failed. I'd rather lose a turn of shooting with them, rather than just losing them all together after all!

Once the squad is behind, or near the sides of an enemy tank, or multiple enemy tanks, I target a single tank as the primary shot--the closest one. From there, I use my target locks to fire at two other tanks, to successfully fire into the rear or side armor of up to 3 different vehicles. This doesn't always happen, due to Ld8 failing sometimes, but generally you will get 2 tanks with your Target Locks. Should you fail your test, you immediately turn back to the vehicle that was the primary target.

Twin-linked missile pods hit very easily, and have great chances for glancing and penetrating enemy armor, which from behind and the side is generally a number from 10 to 12. Busting a leman russ and a chimera next to it in one swoop is a great way to raffle up 300 victory points really quickly and leave your opponent wanting to crush your suits--which you don't care at this point because you just got all your points back and then some. An exchance so to speak, that leaves you on the winning side and him short of two armored artillery units.

Those Strength 7 pods only have to really glance and stun the vehicles to do their job, assuming nothing is really in plain sight to really fire back at you with massive odds of killing you completely. Mind you, this will happen should you have to arrive close to the enemy. But generally, if you have 18~24 inches of distance, you can avoid many of the shots that you normally would have taken, plus the further back you are, the narrower that fire path becomes, depending on the terrain. So there's a "sweet spot" you'll want to aim for with your deviations after a Deep Strike.

The key is, you use this when there is a good patch of board area to land in, good chances of having multiple tanks in sight (or tank and units) and if you're lucky minimal chances of them firing back at you with everything (but this is unlikely). If you -cannot- get a good setup, don't bother with it and simply go for saftey instead. Should you do it, and it work, great--savor the points you earned. However, if not, play safe and use those same suits to target something else now that may be just as important but with less odds for that rear armor (as in no odds). Also, remember, if you pull it off, you will probably lose your suits afterwards unless it was sufficiently devistating and he was not prepared at all for this deep strike (it happens... silly marines!) and if they waste a lot of weapons firing at you, that's less weapons pointed at the rest of your army, so use that to your advantage and stick your nose out a little. Take some shots. Or just play it safe.
Old 02 Apr 2005, 05:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

See that Dizzy and Waldo? Someone else likes Deathrain Suits too

IMO, Deathrain Suits are the as-of-yet undiscovered gems of the Tau list.

If you're into Deep Striking Fusions though, here's another article.

*runs back to madly painting Kroot*
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 02 Apr 2005, 05:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think thats a diffrent purpose than what I'm imagining, a Sunforge monats are a totally different kettle of fish I'm imagining, sunforge are one shot wonders, they drop in, kill the tank you want (uaully evil stuff like 'Lisks, Whirlwinds and whatnot what your describing sounds more like a light (<13) tank hunter squad, not a hitman

lol, I like deathrain, but theyre a different use than Sunforge.
go here
Old 02 Apr 2005, 05:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

TonkaTruckDriver:

The more in-expensive a suit is, the more you can have of them. And twin-linked weapons are far more reliable. I tend to take a lot of suits, cheapest configuration for their purpose in the game in highest volumes possible with twin-linked weapons. I prefer reliability and saftey at the same time.

Pure Deathrain suits, as many call them, are some of the best suits for almost anything short of pounding power armor. In that case, it's twinlinked plasma for me.

I routinely take out multiple Demolishers and Leman Russes in a single drop. It works too well. And even if I only blow up a singe tank, it's more than enough. I'd rather roll many damage rolls, rather than just a few.

Fusions is undeniably strong--but rolling 3 damage charts isn't always reliable enough for me, and this is on a single target and requires me to be very close.
The missile pods provide twice the shots at three times the distance, but I can hit three tanks, or just focus on two, and get double the points.

I don't prefer to deepstrike, because I really like a no-casualty game when possible. But when it comes down to banking ordinance like the Guard trio that is all too common in tournaments: Basilisk, Demolisher, Russ, a single deathrain drop can do it and work miracles. It works against Marines too, but I tend to focus more on plasma in those cases.