Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Krootox Tactica
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Krootox Tactica

So you've read through the codex and decided that what your army needs more than anything is some Krootoxes? Well golly gee you've come to the right place!

In this tactica I'll analyse the Krootox and reveal to you its optimal uses and glaring weaknesses.

Analysis:
So what are we dealing with here anyway? A single Krootox will generally cost you some 105 points since you're required to take 10 Kroot as well. But do we really only want 1 shot? No, we don't, do we? So we'll just go right ahead and throw in 2 more oxen for an even 175 points. This seems a little pricy, costing about the same as say a Skyray or a Hammerhead. But let's ignore them right now. I mean, it's perfectly reasonable to despise Hammerheads and not want to field them.

So what do we have right now? 3 Krootoxen and 10 Kroot, making for a nifty 13 models with a staggering 19 wounds! Or, with the release of Apocalypse, think of it as 3 Krootoxen with 10 structure points. The Kroot are there to play meatshield so your Oxen are good to go. Ofcourse, keep in mind that you only have Ld 7.

Okay, so Krootoxen in a unit like this tend to stick around, but I can already hear you ask me what good it is to have them around. Ofcourse, everyone wants to know the damage output. With a cost of 175 pts any player would like to see them get back their investment.

Well for starters, a Krootox has a range of 48". This is less than a Seeker Missile, Railgun or Ion Cannon but it has the same strength as a Missile Pod!
We all know we love the good old Deathrain Crisis Suit, but there are always those who don't like to field those either. For those people the Krootox would be a perfect choice.
With their guns, Krootoxen are best at taking out light vehicles, such as Dark Eldar skimmers, Landspeeders, Rhinos and with the 3 of 'em they could even tackle Dreadnoughts and Eldar skimmers!

Their guns would also be capable of taking out geq squads, 1-2 kills at a time! Perfect for wittling down weakened squads to get them below scoring. And hey, you can't always expect your Fire Warriors to deal with geq infantry all the time.

Tactic #1: Range Rover
Oh, one little snag though: oxen don't get to infiltrate, so you have to keep 'em in your own deployment zone which isn't a problem for their range, but I could see you eyeing that pretty forest over there. Too bad, you'll have to settle for standing out in the open. Not many guns can hit you if you deploy them only 6" from your table edge. with 48" you can easily still make it to the other side of the field while your opponent will need a gun with 36" to make it, OR get closer to you.

This is where the true purpose of the Krootox becomes apparent: it's a juicy target because of its high point cost and lack of armor save, any intelligent opponent will no doubt be tempted to go for it. This makes it perfect for Patient Hunter tactics as the rest of your army could instantly hump anything that would try to go for your Oxen.

Tactic #2: Moving Target

Since Kroot(oxen) thrive in forests, this tactic is about survival so they can get a good vantage point. As soon as you can, have your Krootoxen squad advance to the woods.
As we all know, once they make it in they'll benefit from a 4+ cover save and they'll be able to shoot over 6" through those woods without having to fear retaliation.

This approach is more standard and I don't particularly favor it myself, since it requires you to move into optimal position for the first 2 if not 3 turns, leaving you only 3-4 turns to shoot with your Kroot Guns.

One disadvantage of this tactic is that it's so predictable your opponent will have little trouble dealing with it. Then again, you could use this moment to your advantage and create yet another lure: once those Kroot hit the woods they'll become a serious threat so you'll force your opponent to deal with them taking focus away from other units.

Pro&Con
So let's review, shall we?

The Majestic Krootox's perks:
-a big juicy target for your opponent a.k.a. a lure
-excellent for taking out light vehicles
-okay for forcing armor saves on meq/teq and killing off geq squads
-long range weapons
-a nigh 20 wounds

too bad there's some downsides as well:
-he's a BIG JUICY TARGET. if you fail to protect the squad properly your opponent will have easy pickings
-can't infiltrate
not to nitpick but for the same cost you could field a hammerhead with railgun, or with an ion cannon and a deathrain crisis suit. or 4 deathrain crisis suits.

Oh, and for those who love a good mind war:

Anyone who knows the Krootox considers them to be weak, an underdog even and by default will underestimate you. Ofcourse they don't know you read this brilliant tactica and have a masterplan to bring his army of light vehicles down!

PS: I intentionally left out their combat potential, since I don't believe it's their role to be locked in combat.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Krootox Tactica

I think you missed the most important rule for shooty Kroot. get them into woods, and don't set up within 6" of the woods. You can shoot out up to 12" of woods. Shoot and don't be shot back.

Same principles of Jump Shoot Jump with Crisis and Stealth suits but without the movement. Shoot and don't get shot back.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Nice tactica! I'm actually considering getting some Krootoxen now...

Aother upside is that a squad of Kroot with Krootoxen counts as a Troops choice. After them, you only have to get a Commander and a squad of Fire Warriors, leaving the rest of your list open for more hard-hitting Kauyon units.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I think you missed the most important rule for shooty Kroot. get them into woods, and don't set up within 6" of the woods. You can shoot out up to 12" of woods. Shoot and don't be shot back.

Same principles of Jump Shoot Jump with Crisis and Stealth suits but without the movement. Shoot and don't get shot back.
You're right, you have a good point there BUT:
how often will you have a 6+" thick forest in your deployment zone?

if it's in the middle of the field it's useless really. Standing far back compensates for the lack of forest since it forces your opponent to either waste their long-range weaponry on it or come forward to meet them.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As a tactica, you should cover the bases. And No.1 priority is to get into forest areas and benefit form the protection.

I don't want to deploy kroot 48" away just to use a Krootox gun. I want all my kroot rifles in range as well. So i'd move forwards into a wood if i could.

At the very least i'd deploy/move into cover. With no save, the enemy will easily destroy them with long range heavy weapons, or anti infantry tank set ups, or even deepstrike units. Setting up in ruins or woods will make the Kroot unit more resilent.

I think deploying the furthest away and paying 175pts for a handful of str7 shots that can't benefit from markerlights isn't a good buy.

i'd rather leave the krootox at home and max out on kroot and hounds and infiltrate in woods. Leave the shooting to the tau.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you have a point there, I was focussing on maximizing Kroot Gun use though and any turn spent walking to cover is a turn you most likely won't be shooting.

But since you're right about covering all the bases I'll edit in another tactic involving running to the woods as some kind of infantry vanguard and harasser.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
you have a point there, I was focussing on maximizing Kroot Gun use though and any turn spent walking to cover is a turn you most likely won't be shooting.

But since you're right about covering all the bases I'll edit in another tactic involving running to the woods as some kind of infantry vanguard and harasser.
Excellant. I forgot to thank you for taking the time to write the above guide.

Thank you.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Could you please give some tactica for urban fighting? As in my gaming club forrests are uncommon because most of the tables are either city fights or grassy plains that have raised ground instead of forrests for cover. :
Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

right, the wise adapt and all that fun stuff, using my first tactic would be quite doable in an urban terrain as you keep your Krootox unit in the open as bait...
Old 18 Dec 2007, 19:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I also think their biggest advantage is that they have semi-heavy weapons in a troops slot.

Overall, a good tactica, could use bullets and bold section titles to make it more reader friendly though.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote