Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

750 pt Tau vs Eldar and Two Wraithlords Oche!
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 750 pt Tau vs Eldar and Two Wraithlords Oche!

Having problems dealing with two wraithlords in 750 pts.
he had farseer, 5 or 6 eldar with missil lauchers, one Falcon with 6 or 7 eldar in it, one with a melta gun

Board was small, and my DF's and HH had no cover to hide behind. He said the ships had no cover becaus they were skimmers so they floated above the cover, hence they quickly got shot down.

I am playing Mobile Tau
Shas'el
Crisis PR MP MT
Crisis PR MP MT

FW 10
DF

FW 10
DF

RailHead SMS
TArray, MT, SMS, TL

Any suggestions? I know I went after the wraithlords too quickly but even then at toughness 8 they sucked up alot of PR and MP hits, my HH only lasted one round and only gave one wound to one wraithlord.

"Please Send Reinforcemts" . . . . . static. .
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 01 Apr 2005, 21:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 750 pt Tau vs Eldar and Two Wraithlords Oche!

Two WLs in 750 pts is indeed nasty.

The first thing you need to be doing is making sure you're playing on a legitmate size board - 4x4 is good for 750 points but anything smaller is not a fair board - You should have 24" in between deployment zones no matter what.

Second point - Whether they float over the cover or behind it largely depends on the size and type of the cover. If need be I would pull the "landing gear" maneuver during deployment since all your stuff comes equipped with it automatically and that means they can start sitting down on the ground, behind the cover. Once your movement phase arrives you then start moving >6" every turn.

As far as how to deal with the WLs - in most cases ignore them. You should be targeting EVERYTHING at the guardians & falcon first - the WLs are slow and not that big of deal with unless they happen to be carrying bright lances. Your priority should be to kill anything equipped with a weapon capable of damaging the HH. Drop a submu on the guardians with the missiles (with any luck his farseer will end up in the template as well) or use a solid shot against the falcon. You probably don't need to bother with FoF against that army since you have longer range weaponry - I'd probably just start my FWs in static lines at 30" (i.e. out of the guardian's range) and use the DF as separate gunships to draw fire. Just because you're playing a mech army doesn't mean you should shift to static lines and then using the DF as mobile, but empty, units....

You should probably reconfigure your railhead since it's pretty pricey for a 750 pt game - it should have decoy launchers but it doesn't really need the target locks. The burst cannons would save you some points too. Your DF really should have decoy launchers too although I would probably save the points if you decide to go the static route. You might also consider changing the 'el to to a plasma/FB to give you some more power against the WLs.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 01 Apr 2005, 23:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd be tempted to go with :

Fireknife 'El

Fireknife Crisis

20 Kroot

FW 12
-'Ui
DF

RailHead
-BC
-MT
-DL

BS
-MT

gives you a bit more of a chance to nerf the falcon and the solid will pick woulds off a WL when they get too close.

Pepper had a good game plan for you, unless those lords have BL theyre at the bottom of the list ^-^

and remember, cver is your frend, make sure there is enough
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 02 Apr 2005, 01:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

I might just even put more FW in there and take out the kroot. Because str 5 can wound a toughness 8 on a roll of a 6. Where as a str 4 does nothing.
Old 03 Apr 2005, 03:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One WL did have a bright lance so I made it Target number one.

I did think the board is small, I will be measureing it next time.

I was thinking of a BS as well, would have to proxy one though.

OR 6 SS just because they can jump from and into cover, the S5 shot could still hurt the WL , with lots of luck.

Thanks for the help.

If cover is lvl 3 can my HH hide behind it and still not get shot at???
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 03 Apr 2005, 05:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I do belive so, and I'd go with the BS as it takes the AT load off the HH and allows for more use of the sub and 2 Rails is never bad for those vehicle wh*res
go here
Old 03 Apr 2005, 13:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've given this a bit more thought. If you want to tweak your list to deal with this particular army here's what I would do: Take an ionhead. - its higher rate of fire gives you a more effective weapon against the WLs and it doesn't make that much difference against the falcon due to the typical falcon equipment. Against the ordinary guardians it's not as good as a submu if your opponent bunches them up but only dummies do that anyways. Add in a SMS and you can saturate a target pretty thoroughly. You're right to prioritize the bright lance since it's about the only thing that can threaten your HH.

On a decent sized board you could pull a refused flank - start your hammerhead on one side of the table and then start stacking your other mobile units there as well (preferably behind cover!). Your opponent is very likely to stack those WLs over there since they're slow as hell - then on turn 1 you race to the far flank and leave them to trudge all the way over there - the ion cannon can take cross table shots at them. Only his falcon unit has any ability to react to the flank shift - if you're luck there will be some sort of LOS blocking terrain near the center of the board to cut off the MLs & WLs LOS on the turn you move.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 03 Apr 2005, 18:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Dizzy- Haha two HH are a thought.

Pepper, I see what you mean about pulling the force in. Could that work with my original list and just change to a IonHead?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03 Apr 2005, 22:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

'El
-TLMP
-Flamer

20 Kroot

FW 12
-'Ui
DF

RailHead
-BC
-MT
-DL

Ionhead
-SMS
-TL
-MT
-DL

hows that? I had to skimp on the 'El (maybe an Etheral in the fish would be ceaper and preserve VP but its a bit risky) but you get 2 HH and the Ion can SMS some Aspects or guardians while you pound the Lord
go here
Old 04 Apr 2005, 01:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

i feel ur pain !

i think thats really evil having 2 WLs in such a small game, but i spose having 2 HHs would even it out a little
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Closed Thread