Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how big is a battlesuit?
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default how big is a battlesuit?

Not that this matters to playing, but where is the pilot in a tau battlesuit? Assuming all the models are to the same scale, a stealth suit could fairly easily be just powered armor, but an XV8 series is too big. It seems to also be too small for a fire warrior to sit inside the torso and have pedals or something to control the legs, so where is he/she? Do the legs of the pilot extend down into the thighs of the suit?

Of course some liberties have to be assumed, or else it's one seriously uncomfortable ride for 12 models in a devilfish!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: how big is a battlesuit?

I read that a Fire Warrior fits and they have like a fiber optic cable Matrix-esque thing that inserts into their neurals basically turning thought into XV8 action.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

My understanding of it was that the Tau pilot is in a matrix-esque foetal position inside the chest. They control the thing as if it were their own body.

But keep in mind that model size dosen't mean anything when it comes to Games Workshop models. That's most obvious in transport tanks (the Wave Serpent can't even fit one Eldar into it's hatch, let alone 10).

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

It might be an innacruate prespective, but the cover art on the old Codex makes them look almost titan sized. But looking at other art, I'd say it's very large power armour- bigger than a Terminator but it's still not something that you'd sit back in and 'pilot'.

There is a nice Dawn of War screeshot on the loading screen that shows a Crisis vs Dreadnought fight. As I remember it, the Crisis is a tiny bit taller but the Dread is more bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Emporer
I read that a Fire Warrior fits and they have like a fiber optic cable Matrix-esque thing that inserts into their neurals basically turning thought into XV8 action.
Nice! That's one more reason to like Tau fluff
Old 18 Dec 2007, 08:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Standing up right it must be around 13-15ft tall. If a marine is 7ft tall, and battlesuits are roughly twice the height.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 08:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I believe that a scale firewarrior, standing next to a Crisis Suit, would be about as tall as halfway up the thigh armor. Making the suit itself able to peek over a two story building.

The thing to realize is that troppers, walker units (sentinals, dreadnaughts, Crisis, etc), and vehicles are all slightly different scales from each other. Oh well, thats how GW made it. Landraiders would otherwise be huuuuuge. Too huge for a 6 foot by 4 foot table. So, the strict scaling of the models is incorrect. But on a tabletop, it seems to work, and our minds and eyes 'buy it'

Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I believe that a Crisis suit is 10 ft tall. I don't have my IA 3 on me right at this moment, but later on I'll get you exact stats.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Quote:
well the xv8 battlesuits have like a 'spike' that slips into the users skull which floods their body with some sort of chemicals, so they're all huddled up in a ball in the torso, with a spike in their head..
anyway these chemicals make the user feel like the battlesuit is his body, and their own body goes numb, every action performed by the suit is exactly how the pilot would imagine it, and it sometimes makes them crazy if they're in it for extended periods of time lol, there are examples of this in the firewarrior novel, like how a xv8 pilot got shot through his suits leg and was amazed at how he could still walk when he was out of suit and one pilot kept using his jump pack and when he got out he tried jumping off a building :P

so anyway they sit cuddled up in a ball in the torso,, not too sure about stealth suit but i imagine its just a beefy firewarrior suit..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Quote:
[Big description that makes me picture the XV8 battlesuit as a giant armored egg. For the pilot anyway. References Fire Warrior.]
Yes, but in Fire Warrior, didn't he stand in it and the suit put padding around his limbs and then Matrix probe went in and etc?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

yeah something like that :P all i know is he fits in there, and its best description there is of its operations

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote