Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight CC warriors count as Kroot? Idea.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Farsight CC warriors count as Kroot? Idea.

I collect a farsight enclaves army and I was reading something somewhere that said that farsight encourages Close combat within his fire warriors. So I thought about maybe Fire warriors with a weaker gun (like the kroot gun but looking a bit more Tau) and them being better at Close Combat.
Also instead of kroot hounds: Combat Drones? I couldn't think of anything that could count as krootox riders - but anyway Is this idea any good?
Old 18 Dec 2007, 00:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Farsight CC warriors count as Kroot? Idea.

I don't think the tau need any more varieties of gun. If you want something with similar stats to a Kroot Gun, just take a missile pod. Oh, wait, you mean the Kroot Rifle that carnivores carry... I suppose you could do that as a house rule, but I think if you take out the pulse rifles the tau aren't really tau any more. I've heard that in one of the earlier editions of the codex Farsight Enclaves had +1 weapon skill, but that was so useful everybody was playing Farsight. Combat Drones just doesn't sound like tau, even Farsight Tau. Even as technologically advanced as the tau are, teaching a machine intelligence to fight in melee is going to be harder than training a warrior.

Part of playing tau is dealing with the fact that they are weak in close combat, but very strong in shooting. Since I see warfare as getting more distant as time and technology advances I'm fine with a force that doesn't do knife-fights on the battlefield. (pointless question: if tau on shore leave get into a bar-room brawl, what do they do: back off to opposite sides of the room and throw things at each other?) Farsight Enclaves get some combat bonuses, but lose the option of recruiting Kroot and Vespid, which I think is a fair trade. Trying to give Farsight troops even better CC would be unbalancing, but if you reduce their pulse weaponry to compensate then you have an army that doesn't feel like tau. If you want a force that has a better balance between ranged and melee competence your best bet would be to play one of the other factions available.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Or maybe you could play a Kroot Mercenaries army.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Or maybe you could play a Kroot Mercenaries army.
Especially with the new Ork Boyz costing just 6pts, what do Kroot Mercs (and standard Empire kroot for that matter) have that Orks don't? (and taking into account that forrests are an uncommon thing in our WH club, deep forrests even more so.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 03:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFarsight
Especially with the new Ork Boyz costing just 6pts, what do Kroot Mercs (and standard Empire kroot for that matter) have that Orks don't? (and taking into account that forrests are an uncommon thing in our WH club, deep forrests even more so.
Well, they do have a good background. :P
Why GW doesn't change the Kroot's rule "Fieldcraft" to include more kinds of terrain?
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 03:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
BS3 and infiltrate. Kroot are a shooting unit that can take a charge in cover. They aren't a good close combat unit.

Quote:
Insert Quote
I collect a farsight enclaves army and I was reading something somewhere that said that farsight encourages Close combat within his fire warriors. So I thought about maybe Fire warriors with a weaker gun (like the kroot gun but looking a bit more Tau) and them being better at Close Combat.
The problem here is that you can't use modified Fire Warriors as "counts as" kroot because Farsight is not allowed to take kroot. The Farsight list really is limiting and the limits far outweigh the small benefits. It's not an army to play if you're going for pure competitiveness. That I'm expanding my Tau to be a Farsight army just for fun and use in a casual environment.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Convert Guardsmen into....well, converted Guardmen ;D. Ciaphas Cain does this very well.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 07:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, I find preferred enemy rather useless. In playing against most opponents, you won't notice any difference in Farsight's troops, which I think is rather misleading and unfair. There is very little advantage to playing a Farsight Enclaves army, especially with the 1500 pt. minimum required to use him. In the next codex, I hope they make the Enclaves more unique.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 09:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nothing at all wrong or problematic with modelling special forces firewarriors, with the exact stats of a Kroot. Thats officially called 'counts-as'. The only hard thing to explain would be their fieldcraft... special sniper scopes that see through trees? extra cover generating stealth field, yet no armor at all? They would be like better than SM scouts, that infiltrate and all that.

So, sure, make firewarriors in commando gear, with knives and special carbine rifles (same stats as a kroot gun), and a big gun special weapons team, to represent the Krootox (hard to explain the monster CC stats though.. maybe big honkin shotguns.. or claymores), and ooh.. how about a special close combat DRONE to represent a kroot hound?

Sounds neat to me. All that super coolness.. that no one would ever really see as a kroot pack. And would certainly get more respect than a Kroot Carnivore pack... even if the stats are exactly the same. ;D