Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal: Yay or Nay
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2005, 19:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Ethereal: Yay or Nay

Do you guys use Etherals in your army. When I use him, and he dies (usualy first) I get shafter with a few guys. How do you use your ether properly, and do you even use them?
Old 01 Apr 2005, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ethereal: Yay or Nay

Well, first off, I use one all the time, basic Ethereal, no gear. Place him in the back of the table, nowadays usually behind where I have my FOF position and a 15x Kroot unit. I place him out of LOS and keep him there - he doesn't need LOS to the other units in the army to use his ablities.

Second, I simply have to know how you're losing your Etheal, usually first? How in the heck does this happen?
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I field an Ethereal most of the time, even in 1,000 point games, though not generally lower than that due to restriction on elites prices.

One thing you should remember, is that Ethereals are not so easy to kill. They are independent characters and if not attached to a squad, it will be difficult to target them outright, so long as they are somehwere near the rest of your force. If you attach them to a squad, he cannot be killed by -any- template weapons due to rules in 4th to prevent sniping. When you take damage from a template, you may take the models from anywhere in the squad, not just under the template, so remember this in case someone tries to use a bad scatter to kill your Ethereal magically, it does not work like that. Ethereals can hitch a ride in Devilfish, if there is enough room--this is a great way to get out of a sticky situation. Also Ethereals are great when lending their leadership to Broadsides for the ability to put railguns all over the board using Ld10 for target priority checks, making the most of your target locks.

The more information you give us the better, as I have only lost my Ethereal in battle once, and that was due to me assaulting a Daemon Prince to avoid being assaulted first myself. And when he died, only a single squad fell back, of 7, so it's not like you're whole army is dead should he go away.
Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AunLa
Second, I simply have to know how you're losing your Etheal, usually first? How in the heck does this happen?
My opponents target it over anything else so I have to take leaderships. And what I ment about loosing him first, i guess that was over exaturated. But he is definatly one of my first 5 units to be killed. My opponets usualy deepstrike something to kill it. And after that happend a few times, i left some kroot to defend it, and he still gets rocked. I stoped using him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Ethereals can hitch a ride in Devilfish, if there is enough room--this is a great way to get out of a sticky situation.
Good advice
Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

....... even I am warming up to using an etheral (mainly because the Boo! librarian is so scary ^-^ but thats beside the point)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:22   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I will generally use an Ethereal if I am trying to avoid spending very much on HQ or if I am expecting to face a Librarian (for the reasons just mentioned.) We sort of dropped the Tau Brace maneuver as a recommended tactic a while back (and I don't want to pick it up again, so don't worry, Dizzy), but an Ethereal is essential if you plan to use it.
Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky_beef
Quote:
Originally Posted by AunLa
My opponents target it over anything else so I have to take leaderships. And what I ment about loosing him first, i guess that was over exaturated. But he is definatly one of my first 5 units to be killed. My opponets usualy deepstrike something to kill it. And after that happend a few times, i left some kroot to defend it, and he still gets rocked. I stoped using him.
That's illegal. Independanat characters can only ever be targetted if they are the closest unit, so if you have anything else in front of the Ethereal he can't be shot. Now, if the ethereal is the closest, if if he's the only model at 46" to a Lascannon, then he can be targetted, but otherwise the people you're playing are pulling a fast one on you.

Old 01 Apr 2005, 20:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think ethereals are pretty much a no-brainer, especially if you're expecting to go up against the Boo! librarian. As others have said, killing him should be quite difficult unless someone is fairly lucky with their deepstrike (if he's back near the edge of your deployment zone they're going to have a very tight spot to land in or risk going off the table).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 01 Apr 2005, 21:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I personally always field an ethereal, paying 50pts. to reroll any and all leadership test sounds like a good deal to me. As Aunla stated, ethereal cannot be killed unless they are the closest unit, and to keep mine alive I always just hide my ethereal in a corner with almost no LOS unless the enemy fields deepstriking units, in which I field him near my firewarrior.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 01 Apr 2005, 21:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLAELITE132
I personally always field an ethereal, paying 50pts. to reroll any and all leadership test sounds like a good deal to me.* As Aunla stated, ethereal cannot be killed unless they are the closest unit, and to keep mine alive I always just hide my ethereal in a corner with almost no LOS unless the enemy fields deepstriking units, in which I field him near my firewarrior.
You don't get to re-roll ALL leadership tests - only ALL morale tests, which is very different. Morale tests only include:

A) testing for losing at least 25% of a squad due to shooting
B) losing close combat
C) versus tank shock

Other leadership tests that don't fit those descriptions...well the Ethereal re-roll doesn't work for those.

Closed Thread