Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drone Questions
Old 16 Dec 2007, 23:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Drone Questions

I'm relatively new to 40k and I'm trying to fully grasp how drones affect units.

1. An HQ battlesuit with 2 drones becomes a unit and is no longer an IC, right?
2. If an HQ has 2 drones and 1 drone dies, does that trigger a morale check from 25% casualties?
3. I seem to recall that, somewhere, the 40k rulebook said that you're supposed to use the "average" save for mixed-save units. Am I making that up? Is the whole point of shield drones, then, to give a single battlesuit their average save of 4+ invulnerable?
4. If you give your HQ battlesuit the drone controller wargear, are the gained drones basically free, or do you have to pay 12 points each as per the gun drones under Fast Attack?
gregariousamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 00:22   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Drone Questions

I only know the answer to one of your questions for certain, so here. 4. These drones cost the amount shown in the battlesuit wargear section of the codex, and are not free.

[size=smaller]Edit: Don't post point costs, it is not allowed (see Forum Rules). - .mace[/size]
Old 17 Dec 2007, 02:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1) You're Correct
2) I think they do, but when both die the HQ doesn't have to take last man standing tests as it reverts to being an IC.
3) Shield Drones have the same toughness and save as what they're attached to so the majority is the same as the crisis. But the shots have to be distributed evenly across the unit so only 2/3 shots will get an invulnerable. Thankfully 3 Low AP shots are rare-ish and a normal enemy squad won't be able to force a wound onto the Crisis. The other drones don't change toughness and save so their stats become the majority so the Crisis looses some of its durability.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:05   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

1 Yes
2 Drones count for 25% causality's, as well as to determine if it is a scoring unit
3 what Korill said
4 Gun Drones use the costs from the Battlesuit wargear list.

I Lost.
C4nnonfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregariousamsa
I'm relatively new to 40k and I'm trying to fully grasp how drones affect units.

No your wrong, he is still an IC (despite what the others have said), he is still an IC but he can be targeted if he is the nearest unit (usually IC's cannot be targeted if they are not the closest unit). Other than that one difference the HQ XV8 is still an IC and follows ALL the rules for an IC. This includes fighting as an IC in assaults, which means his Drones cannot take wounds for him. The XV8 HQ and Drones can also join and leave other units exactly as per an IC
Quote:
2. If an HQ has 2 drones and 1 drone dies, does that trigger a morale check from 25% casualties?
Yeah this is correct, however if both Drones are destroyed the HQ does not take last man standing tests.
Quote:
3. I seem to recall that, somewhere, the 40k rulebook said that you're supposed to use the "average" save for mixed-save units. Am I making that up? Is the whole point of shield drones, then, to give a single battlesuit their average save of 4+ invulnerable?
The Drones invulnerables can only be utilised by the Shield Drones.
Quote:
4. If you give your HQ battlesuit the drone controller wargear, are the gained drones basically free, or do you have to pay 12 points each as per the gun drones under Fast Attack?
No the Drones have to be purchsed from the wargear list and they are cheaper than the Gun Drones in the fast attack section.
Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:

I'm very surprised by the lack of knowledge on this subject. The Tau Commander does NOT lose his IC status. He/she is still an IC in every way, they just count as an IC that is attatched to a unit, they form a unit with the drones and can thus be targeted. The only difference is that they cannot leave the drones and with the drones the character can still join or leave other squads as well. Except for Shadowsun who is notably limited in that aspect. However should the drones die the Commander immediately becomes untargetable if not the clossest unit, and even with the drones the commander still has those strange cc rules and everything else.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
No that is majority toughness and used to be a problem in the old dex with shield drones. You don't use the average save. The only time saves are important is with mixed saves. Which is in your rulebook.

Quote:
No, you pay for them from the armoury, not the drone entry in the army list.

All of these questions can easily be answered by reading either your codex or the rulebook or both and all can be found exactly where one thinks they would be. Check the descriptions of the wargear in the codex for information on drones, and the information in the Commander entry. Mixed Armor Saves has a section all to itself in the rulebook and the index is very useful for finding such things. Also the wargear descriptions say that drones count for morale as well so again right in your codex. Before you post online with a question make sure to search your rulebook and codex first. That will answer most questions you have.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote