Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechanised Tau ?
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mechanised Tau ?

Hi all.

Totally new to this forum, but i've been reading alot on this forum. Lotsa good stuff here so thumbs up to you all. It's hard to find some descend info on the net and i'm glad i stumble on this one.

But enough of that

I quit wh40k a while ago and rescently started to get the urge to play again. I used to play Dark Eldar and got hooked by the huge mobility of that race. though they are fun, I really wanted to play a shooty army.
But no static warfare, as i personally dislike that idea. So my eye dropped on the tau. They seem to be reasonably mobile tho i have no idea to what extend.

So my question would be pretty simple. Do Tau really feel mobile ? Or do they only move once every 2-3 round ?

And if they DO are capable of skimmering all over the battlefield, what army selection would you line up ?

thx in advance

Bro P

PS. i know my spelling is really really bad, but english is not my mothertongue. :-\
Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Monolith
Default Re: Mechanised Tau ?

i think that Tau is a mobile race. they can rapidly deploy good fire power with the xv8´s or FW mounted in a Devilfish.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

First of all, welcome to the forums! I'm sure that you'll find a plethora of usefull information here. The members aren't 1/2 bad, either .

Hmm... it looks as if you're trying to get a grasp on the Tau way of war, yes?
One of your best resources is going to be the "Important Topics" sticky in the Tau parent forum. It's got links to a great many articles and tacticas describing the Tau ways of war.

Note that I said "ways", not "way," as Tau armies can usually be placed into one of three categories:

1) Static. A Static army is not very mobile, relying on firing lines and weight of fire to defeat the enemy.

2) Mechanized. Pretty much goes without saying. A Mechanized army consists mainly of units that are either mounted in a vehicle, are a vehicle, or have the good ol' Tau jump-jets (Crisis suits, Stealth suits, Drones.)

3) Hybrid. A combination of the two. I personally run a Hybrid army. It combines the heavier elements of a Static force (Broadsides, sometimes Sniper drones, Pathfinders, etc..) and the more mobile elements of a Mech. force (Hammerheads, Devilfish, Piranhas, Crisis suits, Drones, etc..). In fact, a large amount of Tau armies can be considered Hybrid in one way or another.

To answer your question, Tau have the ability to be just as mobile as the next guy if you'd like them to be, while they've also got the ability to be as static as you'd like them to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Prometheus
And if they DO are capable of skimmering all over the battlefield, what army selection would you line up
Good units for a mechanized army include:
-Hammerheads
-Mounted Firewarrior squads
-Piranhas
-Battlesuits (Crisis/Stealth. Broadsides will simply be left stranded if taken as the only static choice in a Mechanized army.)
-Drones

Hope this helps!

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Toast

First off , welcome to Tau Online . Hope you have a good time here and look forward to see you become a productive member . Unless your a lurker , in which case hope you read all the things you need to .

Secondly , not to worry too much about your bad spelling , there is a spell checker available though . So think of it as a good way to improve !

Finally , regarding your Mech Tau related question . Tau are nowhere near as mobile as the Dark Eldar , but are no slouches in that department either . If you want suggestions on what to get for your army , here they are in no particular order .

1) Fire Warriors/Pathfinders in a Devilfish ( Transport )
2) Crisis/Stealth Suits ( Jump Infantry with the Jetpack rule )
3) Hammerhead/Sky Ray ( Tanks , Sky Ray being more of a support unit than a traditional Tank )
4) Piranha ( Lightly armoured fast skimmer )
5) Gun Drones ( Jump Infantry with Jetpack rule )

Now , next I would suggest getting your hands on the Tau Empire Codex and main rulebook ( if you haven't already that is ) , have a read through , see what you like and work out a rough draft list . Post said list up here and we can take it further .

Hope this helps .

[Insert witty comment's here ....]

Eldrad built my tank
It's a love affair
Mainly Eldrad and my Falcon ( Nargileh 40KO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
We should all make a Spongebob fan-group, and call it the Krusty Krab Klan! Join the KKK kids, it's great fun!

Oh, wait...
Evil_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 15:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

I went and bought the empire tau codex and the FW/devilfish box, I think it's a good way to start :P

So after reading the stickies one thing came up to mind. Markerlights...
Is it something a list HAS to include or can we miss them ? I know they enhance a lot of aspects, but being heavy weapons do they fit a mechanised tau force ?

Bro P
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Markerlights are a great way to improve your shooting by adding 1 BS to your fw; this means they hit on a 3+.

This is great because you can bring up your fw in a devilfish, drop em' off less than 12 inches from the enemy, shoot the markerlight, and if it hits, you can rapid fire anything to kingdom come VERY quickly.

Then hop back in the devilfish and your mobile again ;D

I play a mech tau army, and with tau skimmers, you give them multitrackers and then you never have to stop moving... EVER. You just move 12 in. and shoot because they are "fast" vehicles. In my mech army, almost all of my units can move 12 in every turn and most of them can still shoot. (this would be if the fw were their devilfish.)

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hmmm.

I've read the rules for the markerlights, but some things aren't all that clear.

From what i've understood markerlights are fired before the other weapons in a squad. So no movement for them, making them not so usefull in Devilfishes.
From what i've read so far, the squad that fire them can't use them for their own. Making them somewhat tricket to use as for target selection. (I can't imagine firing a FW squad at an armored target they can't hurt just to have some heavy weapon gain +1 BS)

So my question is, Do you take them in FW squads ? if so what do you use them for ?

Bro P
Old 14 Dec 2007, 19:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

If you take them in fire warrior units, consider giving the user a Hardwired target lock. Allows the Shas'ui to hit a different unit than what his squad fires at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2007, 19:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay so last question I swear !!

Networked markerlights, they can be used by the squad firing them. But can other squads/vehicles use them ?

Example, Leftover elite squad with a character. Networked markerlight hits but i think that the FW's can obliterate the squad leaving only the character. Can I use the networked markerlight to fire off a seekermissle at the character. To instakill him.

Legit ?
Old 15 Dec 2007, 20:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Prometheus
Okay so last question I swear !!

Networked markerlights, they can be used by the squad firing them. But can other squads/vehicles use them ?

Example, Leftover elite squad with a character. Networked markerlight hits but i think that the FW's can obliterate the squad leaving only the character. Can I use the networked markerlight to fire off a seekermissle at the character. To instakill him.

Legit ?
Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. Networked markerlights can be used by anyone.