Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders
Old 13 Dec 2007, 19:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Pathfinders

I have some questions:

If you have a squad of 8 and they fire their markerlights on a squad and they all hit then, Does the squad get -8 leadership?

If you have 5 men and fire the markerlights is it like firing five markerlights at someone?

Are rail rifles worth it?

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 19:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Pathfinders

granted if ALL 8 ml hit, yes you could reduce leadership...for pinning

pathfinders will mark one unit, but the shas`ui if upgraded...could switch.

pathfinders ...maybe not, sniper drones, yes.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks, a cheap unit for sniping could be

4 finders 3 rail rifles

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper King
Thanks, a cheap unit for sniping could be

4 finders 3 rail rifles
if you really wanted... one round of shots would put them down however, and the fact that your paying so and so amount of points for a devilfish and each railrifle leaves alot to be desired.

by no means is this cheap btw.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

My question is, should all 8 hit, could throw some counters towards reducing cover saves AND leadership or any other combo?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 22:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You use one counter to achieve any one of the effects that are listed in the markerlight entry in the Tau Codex. Some, like the BS boost, have a maximum effect.

If you had three counters on an enemy unit you could reduce the leadership by 3, reduce it by 2 and take 1 away from the cover save, increase the BS of a unit of Fire Warriors by 2 and reduce the Leadership by 1, or any other combination of the effects in the Markerlight entry.

And for rail rifles, I always take at least one team of Sniper Drones to fill that role. You get another markerlight and 3 shots with a great weapon. At 1000 points I will always take 2, any larger a game I will take 3. They have performed great every game that I have played.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:27   #7 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Remember that the pathfinders with RR don't have to shoot at the same squad the PF with markerlights do. I can't remember if this is true for the sniper drones, but it does make the inceased cost of the pathfinders a bit more justified.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I tend to avoid using large squads of Pathfinders in any game at 1500 pts or less. I will occasionally use smaller squads simply for markerlight support, but the overheads are pretty steep so unless I can justify the use of a Devilfish I don't bother. Instead I tend to put a Marker Drone in each of my Fire Warrior teams plus a Fire Warrior Shas'ui' with markerlights and target lock (the latter is optional).

The reasons for this are simple.

1. The Networked Markerlight can be used to enhance the owning squad's chances of hurting their target, while the Shas'ui's stacks up to enhance the next firing unit.
2. The Markerlights have some ablative protection from return fire, and as my units are invariably bonded even a remnant squad can still prove useful.
3. I take Fire Warrior squads anyway, so putting my markerlights here isn't forcing me to spend points on something I'm not going to find as useful.
4. I don't rely on markerlights or on pinning to win the battle, I rely on weight of fire, and this approach rarely lets me down. To me Pathfinders, especially large squads of them, are more of a liability than an asset

Of course, its all relative. Pathfinders will come into their own against less shooty armys or armys with limited range as they can stay out of trouble for longer. Alsom if you can give your opponent worse things to worry about, for instance 6 Stealthers with Targeting arrays, he might be less inclined to worry about the Pathfinders. So really it all comes down to your style of play.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 10:01   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I find pathfinders to be useful only in larger games, where you need a load of markers. For a normal 1500-2k game, I take my lovely tetra's - much better, more survivable (take 2 as separate units, but move them togethor. Frustrates your opponent no end ) and mobile markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 10:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I also like the fact that you can put a targeting array on a Sky Ray for 2 BS4 markerlights in addition to the seekers etc. I'd probably take one of them before a full squad of Pathfinders...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote