>2 Burst cannons
>Multi-tracker

Hammerhead Gunship
Hammerhead
>Ion cannon
>2 Burst cannons
>Multi-tracker

Total/1497 Points

I wanted some deathrains but when it all came out I saw the stealths as a more useful option (mainly because I play a lot of infantry heavy armies)

Any advice or critisicm would be greatly appreciated!

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Shades1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 11:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: My 1500 point list

I'd remove the drones from the stealths, and add 2 more suits instead. Its the same number of shots, but it would "boost" their save to 3+, and make the unit smaller, and thus easier to move.

Split the Piranhas up in 3 units, no reason to have them all together when you're not using the other slots.

Also, I'd make the Shas'O a Shas'El instead (with TA, PR, CIB, SI, and HWMT) It would give you 17 pts, that you can use on Decoy Launchers for your hammerheads
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:00   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Actually looks like quite a decent army plan. You do appear to be light on infantry, the HH are not overly difficult to knock out, leaving you with 1 easily destroyable and 2 main scoring units, something that could lead to difficulties.

However:

Do not post individual points, this is against GW copyright.
Army lists should go in the army list child board - you'll get better attention there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:33   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abemad
I'd remove the drones from the stealths, and add 2 more suits instead. Its the same number of shots, but it would "boost" their save to 3+, and make the unit smaller, and thus easier to move.

Split the Piranhas up in 3 units, no reason to have them all together when you're not using the other slots.

Also, I'd make the Shas'O a Shas'El instead (with TA, PR, CIB, SI, and HWMT) It would give you 17 pts, that you can use on Decoy Launchers for your hammerheads
The drones are there so that they can pin and for some extra wounds. I wanted the commander to be a helios because they make excellent character killers, just deep strike em close enough but not to close to an IC and they work really well. The Piranhas I'll do.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:34   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Oh, and get some decoy's on your hammerheads, STAT! They ain't gonna survive without them.

And please edit out the individual points costs. Look here

Quote:
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Actually looks like quite a decent army plan. You do appear to be light on infantry, the HH are not overly difficult to knock out, leaving you with 1 easily destroyable and 2 main scoring units, something that could lead to difficulties.

However:

Do not post individual points, this is against GW copyright.
Army lists should go in the army list child board - you'll get better attention there.
I don't usually play victory points in my friends circle but if I start playing tournaments then I'll take this into consderation, I planned to keep my vehicles alive threw just keeping them out of the main line of fire and always having them move for the glancing factor but I see where your coming from.

Okay Individual points values have been removed.
Hehe Funnily enough I realised this just a few seconds after posting it, if the moderator could move it for me I'd be very grateful.

Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:49   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Decoys would be an enourmous help for this, keeping them alive.

If you don't go VP, then you don't really need to worry too much about scoring units. The main thing is going to be keeping the tanks alive.

And for future reference, you can have total point values, like your commander costs 127pts, its just each item that cannot be.

Quote:
Old 13 Dec 2007, 14:10   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It looks like a very solid list. I would just make a few changes.

1) Don't get smart missile systems for your devilfish. The drones are better because they give you the ability to really push on the opponents front line. You ride up in the fish, placing it about 6" from the target. You then place the fire warriors on the far side (about 9" away and thus in rapid fire range) and the drones on the near side (within 6" assault range). Then everyone unloads on the target. If it still isn't dead the drones assault.

They won't win the assault but they wont die either because the opponent will only get 2-4 attacks on them. They will, however, die at the end of HIS turn. Then your turn comes around again and your fire warriors are in rapid fire range still!

If they do die in the initial assault you still have limited protection because you can fire past a skimmer but he can't assault through it.

2) I have had only limited success with smart missile systems on hammerheads. For 10 extra points you lose 2 shots but gain 6" of range. I would go with just plain old burst cannons personally. 18" is usually plenty of range for burning down troops or light tanks.

3) Drop out the gun drones on the stealth suits and get 2 more suits. Its the same price but with 6 4+ saves vs. 3 3+ saves you have to roll the 4+ to often.

4) I would separate out the piranha into 3 single man units. I might also consider dropping the decoy launchers. They aren't going to be "targets of priority" for your opponent (not with 3 hammer heads on the table) and once they rush up and melt a tank or two they have earned their points back, they are then free to hide in a table quarter or behind cover for objective grabbing.

5) As an independent character you MIGHT be able to get away without having the shield generator if you use missile pods on your Shas'O instead. You have plenty of AP 3 and higher guns so you don't probably need him for marine killing. And with so many other fusion guns and the railhead you probably don't need him for heavy tank hitting. Light vehicle killing might be a better role for him, which he can do from a distance.

All this will free up some points for you. You can probably afford a 6th stealth suit and that deathrain small crisis team. The "more models" approach works well for the Tau. Defensive upgrades are nice but from a "statistical" standpoint an extra devilfish or some more guns is better than a small chance to keep a vehicle alive.

EDIT: If you really want to keep the Devilfish with smart missile systems I really really recommend giving them a Target Array. It's super cheap (same price as a target lock) and the extra BS skill really really helps when you have both a Burst Cannon and a Smart Missile system firing.
Shas Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 14:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay my updated list:

Tau Army/1500 Points

HQ/97 Points
Commander/97 Points
Shas'el
>Plasma rifle
>Fusion blaster
>Targetting array
>Hardwired Multi-tracker

Elite/150 Points
Stealth Team/150 Points
3 Shas'ui
>3 Drone controllers w/ 2 Gun drones each

Troop/480 Points
Firewarrior Team/240 Points
12 Shas'la
Devilfish
>Smart missile system
>Decoy launcher
>Multi-tracker
>Targetting array

Firewarrior Team/240 Points
12 Shas'la
Devilfish
>Smart missile system
>Decoy launcher
>Multi-tracker
>Targetting array

Fast Attack/225 Points
Piranha Light Skimmer Team/75 Points
Piranha
>Fusion blaster
>Targetting array
>Decoy launcher

Piranha
>Fusion blaster
>Targetting array
>Decoy launcher

Piranha
>Fusion blaster
>Targetting array
>Decoy launcher

Heavy Support/450 Points
Hammerhead Gunship/180 Points
Hammerhead
>Railgun
>Smart missile system
>Decoy launcher
>Multi-tracker
>Target lock

Hammerhead Gunship/135 Points
Hammerhead
>Ion cannon
>2 Burst cannons
>Decoy launcher
>Multi-tracker
>Target lock

Hammerhead Gunship/135 Points
Hammerhead
>Ion cannon
>2 Burst cannons
>Decoy launcher
>Multi-tracker
>Target lock

Total/1497 Points

I've taken bits of what everyone has said as far as I can tell but I still like my drones over additional stealth suits because as they are they possess the majority save so yes I get a 1 worse save but it also means the drones are the first to die. If my suit were the majority then yes I'd get a better save but I'd have to apply wounds to them first and automatically lose the drones which I want for the extra wounds. As they are I get better value out of drones rather than losing them just because the suit they're attached to takes a wound.

Old 13 Dec 2007, 14:34   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Don't think thats how majority armour works - you take saves on the majority, and remove who you want.

I would advise bonding and the Shas'Ui for the fire teams, can help them if they run, or take fire.

Finally, Decoys are worthless on Piranha - they technically cannot use them, and even if you are not playing RAW, they are of very limited use. Not worth it, IMO.

Basically, by RAW, you can never roll a 5 - immobolised result, making them worthless, or if not using raw, you give your opponent another 50/50 chance of killing them, as 4 or higher toasts a moving piranha.

Quote: