Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs. Orks (current/old), 1000pt, Seek and Destroy-Omega
Old 12 Dec 2007, 16:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default [BatRep] Tau vs. Orks (current/old), 1000pt, Seek and Destroy-Omega

This is a game I played a few days ago with one of my other friends.* This is only probably my third game against Orks in the four years I’ve been playing.* I’ve heard word that there is a “leaked” version of the new Ork codex around somewhere, but I haven’t gotten my hands on it, an neither of us were interested in finding or using it anyway, simply because it isn’t the final version and a lot could change between now and print.

The BatRep isn’t going to be the best, as we spent literally like two and a half or three hours with pre-game BS’ing, and this sapped a lot of my energy and spirit.* My opponent, though good guy, is very, very easily distracted; he failed to make an army list beforehand, and while I was busy rolling up terrain, he still wasn’t doing it, then his dad told him to take out the trash, which he did, but spent time BS’ing, so that wasted a half-hour, than the other people there and him BS’d some more after that, than, as I was placing terrain, he finally got started on an army list, but that took him about 45 minutes to build, so by the time we finally started most of my spirit for playing was gone; I only played because that’s what I came there to do and I didn’t want to be a rude T'auk'cka and withdraw before we even started.* In conclusion, my BatRep will be a little sketchy (expect lots of “IIRC”’s).* I also blame this whole situation as to why I made so many tactical blunders in the game (you will see as you read).

Army Lists

Tau Empire (Me)
My standard 1000 point Hybrid list for some time now.* Here it is in abbreviated form:
HQ 1
-XV8 Shas'el: Missile Pod (MP), Plasma Rifle (PR), Targeting Array (TA), H-W Multitracker (MT), H-W Blacksun Filter (BSF)
HQ 2
-XV8 Shas'el: MP, PR, TA, H-W MT, H-W BSF
[hr]
Troops 1
-12 Fire Warriors (FW): Pulse Rifles; Shas'ui: Bonding Knife (TL)
-Devilfish: Decoy Launchers (DL), Sensor Spines (SS)
Troops 2
-10 Kroot Carnivores
-4 Kroot Hounds
Troops 3
-10 Kroot Carnivores
-4 Kroot Hounds
[hr]
Heavy Support 1
-XV88 Shas'ui: T-L PR, MT, Team Leader: H-W BSF, H-W Drone Controller w/2 Shield Drones (SDs), H-W TL
-XV88 Shas'ui: T-L PR, MT
Heavy Support 2
2 Sniper Drone Teams

Orks (Opponent)
My Opponent's List.* Hopefully I got all the Force Org spots right.* He was playing some funky clan that let him take either the Warbikes or the Stormboyz as Troops, not sure which one; I put the Warbikes down because that’s what I remember.
HQ
-Basic Warboss w/Slugga and Choppa
[hr]
Troops 1
-30 Slugga Boyz; 3 w/Rokkit Launchas
Troops (?) 2
-10 Warbike Boyz
[hr]
Fast Attack
-20 Stormboyz

Terrain and Placement:
Note: The image was created from memory.* It is not perfectly to scale nor are the terrain or models perfectly placed or scaled.

We did terrain with a random terrain generator, supplemented by each of us placing one piece before the rest was placed; I placed a rectangular ruins at the lower right corner of the board and he placed a large square ruins near the center-left of the board of the board.* We also re-placed a forest to the center-right of the board to give better cover for his Orks.

The mission was Seek and Destroy, Omega.* We forgot to enact half the rules (thanks to the constant BS), but we did remember Escalation and Infiltration, the Escalation nearly killing me.* We ended up forgetting Dusk & Dawn, Concealment, and we both waived Random Game Length, because we were sick of playing by the end of turn 6.

Deployment was per normal Escalation and Seek and Destroy rules: standard Infantry can be placed only, everything else moves on from the board edge per the Reserves rule.* This meant, as per the map, for the Orks, only his Slugga Boyz and Warboss deployed (though not attached), and only my Kroot (who Infiltrated), Broadsides, and Sniper Teams deployed.

We rolled for who went first, and my opponent won the roll-off, so he chose first turn.

Battle Report

Orks Turn 1
Movement
Slugga Boyz and Warboss move forward 6”.*
Shooting
Sluggas roll to find if they can see the Snipers but cannot.
Assault
None.

Tau Turn 1
Movement
None.
Shooting
Kroot Squad 1 shoots the Boyz, inflicting 2 casualties.* Kroot Squad 2 can’t see the Boyz because they are behind the center-right woods now.* Broadsides spend RG ammo and kill…1 Boy.* Snipers kill I think 3 Boyz total.
Assault
None.

Orks Turn 2
Reserves: both of his reserves come in: he moves his Warbikes up to within 18” of Kroot Squad 1, and puts the Stormboyz behind the large rubble on the top right corner of the board.
Movement
Warbikes and Stormboys already done; Slugga Boyz and Warboss move forward.
Shooting
Sluggas try for the Snipers but cannot see them again.* Warbikes shoot the Klkn out of Kroot Squad 1 and cut them exactly in half, but they pass their Morale test ably (for once).
Assault
None.

Tau Turn 2
Reserves: Both of my Shas’els come in, but the critical FW’s do not, unfortunately.* The Shas’els move up towards the right corner of the right-bottom-most rectangular ruins (with the Snipers) so set up for shooting (and preparing for the ones).
Movement
Other than Shas’els, none (completely forgot to move up Kroot 1 to Rapid Fire the bikes).
Shooting
Kroot Squad 1 (7 Carnivores left) shoot back at the Warbikes and kill one. Kroot Squad 2 can now see the Sluggas and shoot them, killing 2 or 3.* Broadsides open up on them again, killing 2 or 3 also.* Snipers fire and kill 2 IIRC.* Both Shas’els fire and kill off 2 (against all odds).*
Assault
Shas’els move diagonally behind the rectangular ruins with the Snipers.

Orks Turn 3
Movement
Warbikes zoom over towards the second Kroot Squad (for unknown reasons not killing off the first squad).* Sluggas, Warboss, and Stormboyz all move forward.
Shooting
Warbikes shoot Kroot Squad 2 and get literally the exact same results as the first time.* Sluggas roll Night Fighting on the Snipers, succeed, and proceed to shoot 3 Rokkits and kill three drones with them.* Kroot 2 passes their Morale, again!, however, the remaining Spotter does not and Falls Back.
Assault
None.

Tau Turn 3
Reserves: FW w/ DF still do not come in.* This is getting desperate!
Movement
Shas’els move over to fire.* Totally forgot to move Kroot 1 again.
Shooting
Kroot 1 does nothing.* Kroot 2 shoot at the Warbikes and kill another one.* Broadsides target the Sluggas and kill probably 3 more.* Snipers fire and kill 2 more.* Shas’els fire and kill probably 3.* Sluggas fail their Morale and Fall Back.
Assault
Shas’els move back behind cover.

Orks Turn 4
Movement
Sluggas continue to Fall Back.* Warbikes move some towards the Broadsides, but stay within range of the Kroot 2.* Stormboyz jump forward.* Warboss is re-covered by the Stormboyz.
Shooting
Warbikes shoot at the Kroot but roll abysmally; with my cover saves, they kill only 1, but his does bring them to below scoring and are now also worth half points.* Stormboyz roll to see the Snipers but cannot see them.* Warboss does the same but succeeds, and kills the forward most drone of the left (remaining) Sniper Team (this was on the advice of his brother; you’ll see in the next line).*
Assault
Due to the kill, the Stormboyz can’t assault the Snipers, and are left out in the open.* So, no Assault.

Tau Turn 4
Reserves: FW w/DF finally come in; hell-bent on FoF, I move he DF up the right edge of the board, between the edge of the board and the rectangular ruins, and dump out the FWs.
Movement
Shas’els walk into the area of the rectangular ruins depopulated by the Sniper Team.* Everything else is done.
Shooting
The 6 remaining Kroot from Squad 2 kill another Warbike; forgot to advance them AGAIN to get Rapid Fire!* Broadsides cannot see the Stormboys because of the ruins, so shoot on the Warbikes with Rapid Fire Plasma and RGs and kill 4.* Fire Warriors Rapid Fire the Stormboyz, killing a ton of them, and the Shas’els kill a lot to; between the two, they kill 15 (possibly 1 or 2 more) of them.* The Stormboyz however pass their extra Ld roll (can’t remember what it’s called).
Assault
Shas’els assault back (but not far enough, I was being dumb).

Orks Turn 5
Movement
Remaining Stormboyz and Warboss move over to Assault the FW.* Warbikes edge out on the edge of the hill and come within Assault distance of my Broadsides.
Shooting
Warbikes open up on my Broadsides, but fail to do anything.* No other shooting.
Assault
Here we go.* Stormboyz and Warboss Assault the FW, causing them to fall back and all the engaged FW are killed so no return attacks.* They are trapped at the back of the DF and surrounded by Orks, so are destroyed.* The Stormboyz and Warboss then consolidate into the ruins.* The Warbikes Assault the Broadsides with the Psychoblastas rule, and kill a single SD, I return and kill all but one of the Warbikes.

Tau Turn 5
Movement
Almost everyone stays stationary, much to my stupidity.* Kroot 2 move towards the Broadside assault.
Shooting
The Shas’els take shots at the Stormboyz to try to kill them, but inflict only one casualty (the ONES, why the ONES????!!!)
Assault
Shas’els jump back onto the level 1 part of the hill behind the Broadside melee, but do not join it.* Broadsides and Warbikes Assault at the same time; he inflicts no wounds, and I finish them off.

Orks Turn 6
Movement
Warboss moves deeper into the ruins.* Stormboyz jump to Assault my Commanders.
Shooting
Stormboyz shoot at the right most Shas’el and inflict one wound.
Assault
Stormboyz assault the Shas’el, I kill none of his, he kills the Shas’el outright.* He Massacres into my Broadsides.

Tau Turn 6
Movement
Shas’el continues to jump away.* Kroot continue to move in.
Shooting
None.
Assault
Broadside-Stormboyz Assault occurs simultaneously.* I kill none of his, he inflicts 3 wounds, removing the remaining SD and Broadside.

We finally call the game, as we are both exhausted from playing and neither of us want to even think about random game length.*

That’s pretty much it.* Most of my stupid Klkn I did like forgetting to move, not moving properly, etc., I think was due to the extensive pregame BS.* When/if I play this guy again, I’m going to have to make sure he stays on track so we can get the game going.* It was a good, close game, but it would have been a lot more fun for me if things had gone properly.

Ork VP’s – 551
Tau VP’s – 786

Any advice would be welcome.* Thanks for reading.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 17:55   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs. Orks (current/old), 1000pt, Seek and Destroy-Omega

Take a hammerhead, the submuntion shreds orks, the sniper drone teams could stand to be replaced by FW as well, turning 3 shots from each squad into 8.
my 0.02

I Lost.
C4nnonfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 18:20   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Your kroot didn't have a shaper, how did they get saves?

Oh and I defenitily agree with the Hammehead point. Nothing kills Big squads with bad saves better than the sub.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Shades1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 20:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Personally, I don't believe in tailoring lists; this was my all-comers list, meaning I had to be ready for anything.* I find the Hammerhead to be questionable as it is, as it really needs markerlight support, since it's only BS4 single shot.* If it misses, well, I'm screwed.* The Broadsides are far more reliable for taking out the big nasties, which granted he did not have, but like I said, this is an all-comers list, not an anti-Ork list.* Finally, I find Hammerheads in anything less than 1500 pts to be a bit cheasy, since it can easily come to within a fifth of the army's points.* Not only is this bad from a "cheese" point of view, but strategically it's not smart either: one lucky shot and you could loose 200 pts.* Not good.* Snipers are there mostly for anti-Marine firepower, at which they excel.

Quote:
Your kroot didn't have a shaper, how did they get saves?
Cover dude, cover.

Thanks for the advice anyway guys.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 13 Dec 2007, 06:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY

Cover dude, cover.
Lol sorry I assumed that u were talking armour save, If its not spelt out for me I miss things. Plus I wrote it at like 4 in the morning so I was most likely a tad slow at the time.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Shades1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 09:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

No, that's fine man. Actually you raise a good point, I should go in and edit all the saves made by the Kroot to reflect the fact they were cover saves, just for clarity's sake.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 19:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sounds like a good game. Unfortunately for me, all my local Ork players play Cult of Speed, and just about every game I've played has involved escalation. For those of you who don't know, Cult of Speek orks roll turn-1 for reserves....and are crazy fast about getting into assault range.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 22:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Gee that's not broken, not at all...