Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Puretide
Old 12 Dec 2007, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Puretide

so after a while of reading rules stuff and point costs- i got a little bored (no offense) but i use this board for fluff and, goshdarnet, i miss it!

So, that being said- I'd like to discuss what might have happened to Commander Puretide? (loose Tau translation being Taro'va'hesa)

what we do know

He was grievously wounded- probably during the Dal'yth campaigns (or was he?) and then some time during the reclamation after the crusade he disappeared.

Theories?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Puretide

Didn't he teach other commanders after his service was up?
Shorelineviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 01:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Well, considering it was the Defense of Dal'yth during the Damocles Gulf Crusade where Puretide seemed to have dropped off the chronological face of the Empire, paving the way for Farsight's pre-eminence as the "Hero of the Empire", I'd say it was during that campaign against the Gue'la where he was so grievously wounded.

---

Regarding his name, I suggested in another thread on ATT, Shas'O Dal'yth Ta'pur.

The original codex states that the Tau language is very fluid, with many words and meanings dependent on intonation, glottal emphasis and even posture, and there seems to be a trend in the Lexicon of similar words having similar spellings and pronunciations.

'Ta' would be the closest word I can find to 'Pure'. It can be found in such polysyllabic combinations as Ta'lissera and Ta'ro'cha with the translation of 'Mind' or 'Soul', and as part of other words like Taal (Preservation), Tash (Endure) and Tau (Race, Good, Unity). It seems to carry with it a subliminal meaning, or undertone, of all that is 'Pure' in the Tau Empire.

'Pur' is my own concoction, simply being a combination of Por (Water) and Ur (Strong) to create some kind of meaning resembling what the tides are, as well as the similarities in pronunciation with its root word.

---

Thoughts?

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes, he taught Icewind-Shadowsun-Farsight and maybe had something to do with Kais.

As to the name?

Taro (literally means powerful goodness) while Va'hesa would be greater numbers= tide.

the name is debatable and is up for interpretation. And as to be being wounded on Dal'yth- wouldn't that be said flat out? I think that he received the wound during reclamation.

Do you think he's dead?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 05:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Puretide wasn't sent on the reclamation though - the codex plainly states that Farsight alone was sent with an exploration/colony fleet in the wake of the gue'la's retreat.

The very battle for Dal'yth seems to be where Puretide falls off the timeline - so it can be assumed/inferred that it was then (or very near then) where he went into hermit-mode and trained burgeoning Tau Commanders up until his would-be death.

And yes, he's gotta be dead... Everything even mentioning him is in extreme past tense. The codex said he was living out the end of his days as a hermit (or something like that), implying he's now deceased - and if he wasn't, he'd be clocking in at well over 300 years old...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 12 Dec 2007, 05:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My impression on PureTide (oh, how can I respect a commander named after two laundry detergents??), based mostly on his blurb on pg13, and references here and there about the firewarrior caste overall leaders (Puretide, then O'Shovah, then Shadowsun), and the eras or spheres of expansion (from early 2nd sphere, to beginning of 3rd sphere), in the Tau Empire Codex, is thus:

Puretide was a Commander during the 2nd sphere of expansion, where he gained all of his experience. By the time of his personal end, the second sphere was still going on. It can be assumed that the 2nd sphere itself lasted several centuries. This second sphere of expansion can be seen on the Map of the empire (hmm no map in the new codex?!? oh well, go get your old one out). And you can see by that map, that the empire expanded from 3-4 primary sept worlds (presumably the 1st sphere settled those worlds), and the Map as it stands shows what was added in the 2nd sphere.... WOW, Puretide was a busy man! It can be seen that Puretide fought, conquered, annexed, or otherwise gained several dozen worlds over quite a large area of space. And thats where he learned his ways of war.

He was wounded in his advancing age, and could no longer fight as a general, so retired. Point of note: he wasnt wounded in a battle of Dal'Yth.. no, he was merely FROM the world of Dal'yth. And then, as said, he became a hermit, committing his wisdom and experience to posterity... meaning he wrote a book. Hermits dont lecture at universities, afterall. Therefore, PureTide wrote a Book, just as Sun Tsu wrote "The Art of war". Like that book, generals-to-be of newer generations studied that book, and applied its wisdom to their ways of making war. The more of Puretides writing a general truly grasps, then the more successfull a general he is... resulting in all great generals being disciples of PureTides writings over the ensuing centuries.

Farsight and Shadowsun were never said to have directly studied under PureTides tutelage... rather, they both studied his writings, and tried to grasp as much of it as they could. None have grasped its entirety, to date. Only small parts or aspect of the writings. O'Shovah picked up and excelled at his aspect, while Shadowsun excelled at her own. Each different, each claiming PureTide as teacher.

Its important to note that 'second hand' passing on of the writings ends badly... as in BrightSword. Farsight tried to educate Brightsword 'the way', but without the writings themselves, it was 'translated badly', and Brightsword became a notorious commander, with his whole massacre thing.

SO who/what was Puretide?? Put simply, hes the guy that brought the empire from its core Sept worlds shown as bright blue areas in the Map of the Empire in the old codex..... to the Empires' domain as it stands today. Pretty respectable... lets see if Shadowsun can make that same amount of expansion, when all is seen and done.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 15:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually Calaban, you're a bit off.

Puretide is physically present on Dal'yth alongside Farsight, Shadowsun, and Icewind only rotaa before the Imperium launched their attack on the Sept World, as per Star of Damocles.

Farsight, Shadowsun, and Icewind did directly train underneath him, and he was definitely not crippled in the novel...

Doombringer

Old 12 Dec 2007, 15:39   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

He might be in the next one, mind.

Caused a right old headache when the three appeared with him in that, it was bad enough the continuity before hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 15:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have no doubt he'll be in the next novel...

He was mentioning organizing a defense when he met with the two humans - so we can conclude he was directly involved in such a defense, as was Farsight (and maybe Shadowsun and Icewind).

Figuring he wasn't crippled at all right before the attack, Farsight takes over as "Hero of the Empire" right after the attack, and Puretide falls off the timeline at that point - it seems highly likely that Puretide was injured during the attack, which he was no doubt present for...

Doombringer

Old 12 Dec 2007, 18:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Okay, ignoring Star of Damocles... it is physically impossible for Shadowsun and Farsight to even live in the same time period, let alone fight together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote